PDA

View Full Version : Natural Awareness meditation

Spiritualseeker
19 October 2011, 07:33 PM
Namaste,

I am wanting to know the origin of Natural Awareness meditation (if it can be even traced back). I am wondering if there is any scripture that mentions it. Natural Awareness meditation is just as it sounds, the natural awareness of present moment experience. One could be sitting and attention goes to the feeling of air on the skin. A feeling of energy in the hands might next arise in ones awareness, or perhaps a thought arises. The whole practice is a non-doing or a non-meditation meditation. It is effortless in that you do absolutely nothing. You simply watch anything that comes up. Sometimes the mind through this will calm on its own due to the watching of whatever appears in ones awareness. Does anyone know of the origin of this?

Om Namah Shivaya

radharaman
10 November 2011, 02:14 PM
In answer to your question i think it is difficult to trace it back to its origin. It certainly features in Buddhism and also taught by teachers such as Ramana and others. It probably is there in many systems as the methods used such as mantra, watching breatn etc all bring us back to this eventually.

radharaman
11 November 2011, 09:26 AM
I think that natural awareness meditation is present in many systems including buddhism and others. In fact even when we use a focus such as breath, mantra etc there comes a point when the technique is dropped and we simply rest in natural awareness. Sage Ramana and hios method of self enquiry seems to suggest this..

Spiritualseeker
14 November 2011, 06:20 AM
Namaste,

You are right. It seems all our techniques in the end will drop away as the melting into Pure Consciousness takes place. I see that Advaita teachers as you mentioned Ramana, taught this sort of method. In Buddhism I know of Zen, Dzogchen, and some forms of Theravada. It seems like Natural Awareness is just being present. The senses come more alive and through the senses one transcends the senses. Quite a pleasant experience working with this meditation along with self inquiry.

http://www.artoflegendindia.com/images/detailed/pbaab086_shiva_mountain.jpg
Om Namah Shivaya

radharaman
15 November 2011, 03:36 AM
Hi spiritual seeker. Yes these two methods... natural awareness and self enquiry to me seem to compliment each other. By the way love the photos of Shiva.

charitra
15 November 2011, 01:49 PM
to me it is akin to early stage of any classic meditation technique that is taught :) ;
confess am not quite adept at any meditation technique myself, longways to go in this very fulfilling journey :p .Namaste

I am wanting to know the origin of Natural Awareness meditation (if it can be even traced back). I am wondering if there is any scripture that mentions it. Natural Awareness meditation is just as it sounds, the natural awareness of present moment experience. One could be sitting and attention goes to the feeling of air on the skin. A feeling of energy in the hands might next arise in ones awareness, or perhaps a thought arises. The whole practice is a non-doing or a non-meditation meditation. It is effortless in that you do absolutely nothing. You simply watch anything that comes up. Sometimes the mind through this will calm on its own due to the watching of whatever appears in ones awareness. Does anyone know of the origin of this?

Om Namah Shivaya

sm78
17 November 2011, 08:16 AM
Namaste,

Om Namah Shivaya

Surely, theravada or original sutra buddhism, in the form you describe. Classical hindu yoga is transcendental and pranayams are focused on kumbhaka. Natural awareness comes in Hinduism in much sophisticated form in later monistic systems, but that's still not quite the anapanasati or vipassana - which you are describing. I think still now, this is essentially buddhistic.

Spiritualseeker
18 November 2011, 08:05 AM
Namaste,

Surely, theravada or original sutra buddhism, in the form you describe. Classical hindu yoga is transcendental and pranayams are focused on kumbhaka. Natural awareness comes in Hinduism in much sophisticated form in later monistic systems, but that's still not quite the anapanasati or vipassana - which you are describing. I think still now, this is essentially buddhistic.

Thanks sm78. Perhaps I am not describing this correctly. I know of Anapanasati based on the Pali sutta. Thich Nhat Hanh has a great explanation of it. I know of mindfulness of body that also is developed later with anapanasati. What I am referring to is just watching where awareness goes. Its a non-doing. I know this is described in Zen as Shikintaza or in Dzogchen as Natural meditation. I have listen to audios from advaita teachers who do guided meditations of just watching where awareness goes. It may go to a subtle sensation to the body, then go to the tip of the nose, to a thought, feeling, emotion. Etc.. It is all accepted and just watched. Perhaps I am mistaken and this practice may be foreign to Hinduism, but I find this method of meditation is similar to Ramana speaking about keeping quiet.

Om Namah Shivaya

FutureHumanDestiny
31 December 2011, 04:53 PM
the natural state originates from legit yogis who attained enlightenment.

immediately before enlightenment, after nirvikalpa samadhi, you will enter a state known as purusha khyati samadhi. it is also known as the state of no-where now-here. it is beyond comprehension. all time and space seems to exist simultaneously around you.

many yogis have been stuck in purusha khyati samadhi because they continued to make effort when none need be made. as a result, their clinging to effort bound them to the material world, abstaining from enlightenment.

it's not that useful in the lower states.

hope that helps.