PDA

View Full Version : Skull rituals?

Spiritualseeker
28 October 2011, 08:26 AM
Namaste,

I am always asking weird questions, so why stop? My question is are there any Skull rituals in Shaivism? I know Aghoris use a human skull as a bowl to eat food and also to do other rituals with, but are there any other rituals with skulls? I cannot afford an actual human skulls (many are 1,500 to 2,000 dollars!), but I am thinking of setting up on a separate altar a skull to remind me of death and also to get intuned with those who have left this incarnation (mainly veneration of ancestors and saints). The skull I would use would be fake, but I think it still gives the same symbolic meaning.

Om Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
28 October 2011, 08:42 AM
Namaste,

I am always asking weird questions, so why stop? My question is are there any Skull rituals in Shaivism? I know Aghoris use a human skull as a bowl to eat food and also to do other rituals with, but are there any other rituals with skulls? I cannot afford an actual human skulls (many are 1,500 to 2,000 dollars!), but I am thinking of setting up on a separate altar a skull to remind me of death and also to get intuned with those who have left this incarnation (mainly veneration of ancestors and saints). The skull I would use would be fake, but I think it still gives the same symbolic meaning.

Om Namah Shivaya

Vannakkam SS: Not in any traditional or common schools that I am aware of, but given the vastness of Shaivism, nothing would surprise me. I\m quite happy not having any, BTW.

Just where are you planning to get one, anyway? Should I call the FBI? :)

Aum Namasivaya

Adhvagat
28 October 2011, 08:53 AM
I'd worry about the previous "owner" of the skull. You wouldn't want to attract a restless ghost to your house, would you? :)

Just where are you planning to get one, anyway? Should I call the FBI? :)

I thought the same... :p

Spiritualseeker
28 October 2011, 08:58 AM
Namaste,

You jokesters didnt read the full post. I am going to get a fake one. The real ones are like 1,500 to 2,000. Hehe im not going to go to a cemetary.

Om Gam Ganaptye Namaha

Eastern Mind
28 October 2011, 09:11 AM
Namaste,

You jokesters didnt read the full post. I am going to get a fake one. The real ones are like 1,500 to 2,000. Hehe im not going to go to a cemetary.

Om Gam Ganaptye Namaha

Vannakkam: You mean we're supposed to read the full posts around here? I just read the first sentences, have an emotional reaction of some sort, usually negative, and start typing out some deranged overreacting mostly illegible response. Thank Ganesha for the edit function.

There should be lots of cheap fakes ones out at Halloween.

But its like using a cheap fake wig ... just doesn't come across as well.:)

Have a good day, my friend.

Aum Namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
28 October 2011, 09:14 AM
Namaste,

Yea lol your right it just isn't the same. If it is made of hard material it may be a little more realistic. But paying 1,500 or 2,000 for a human skull is a lot of money and as mentioned earlier who knows what person the skull belonged to. I don't want Dexter Morgans skull lol.

Thanks EM

Om Namah Shivaya

Arjuni
28 October 2011, 03:53 PM
Namasté,

If you want a "drinkable" skull, there is a brand of spirit called Crystal Head vodka, which is sold in a clear, skull-shaped glass bottle. It's widely available in the States. :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Eastern Mind
28 October 2011, 04:26 PM
vodka,

Vannakkam Indra: Vodka? That's Russian. SS is Latino. Does the same company sell tequila? But I must admit a skull is an apt metaphor for the hard stuff.

Aum Namasivaya

shian
28 October 2011, 08:38 PM
Vanakkam,

i have human bone japamala for my daily japa
and
skull for ritual usualy we choose skull of sadhakas (when they live , they already said that they want their skull can help others for ritual)

Skull must be kapala, that is stuff to make offerings (yes we also can eat from it), usualy is fill with wine (or other alcoholic), food, jewels and offer it to Deitys.

In my tradition, Lord Shiva form is one hand hold a Trishul (trident) and one hand hold a kapala full of nectar.

Namah Rudraya Umapati Sahayaya
Om Mahesvaraya Svaha
Om Isanaya Svaha
Om Rudraya Svaha
Om Mahesvara Vandita-pujitayae Svaha

sm78
31 October 2011, 01:40 AM
Namaste,

Om Namah Shivaya

Aghoris of present day do tend to use skull bowls, but I have no idea where from they got this.

Use of skull and bones in rituals comes from kapalika sect of quite extremist shaivas-it is actually not clear to me if kapalika's were clearly shaivas at all. I have not heard of skull-bone rituals among other shaivas as such.

Kapalika seemed to have influenced the tantric buddhism to a large extent (some claims they are same!). Real & actual or *authentic* usage of skull & bone implements can be still be found within vajrayana practices. I don't how much they are done within lay followers where preference must be to use alternatives.

satay
31 October 2011, 11:40 AM
namaste,

Aghoris of present day do tend to use skull bowls, but I have no idea where from they got this.

As far as I know (by doing some reading and research), aghoris sometimes get their 'bowl' from a river. Around in varanasi and other places/ghats where people either leave the bones etc. in water or leave the whole dead body in water. One aghori I read about claimed to search for a skull for many months in and around the banks of different parts of rivers in varanasi. Finally he got one when the time was right.

Divine Kala
01 November 2011, 03:13 AM
If you wish to use a skull (several forms of Shiva carry the skull cap) perhaps saving up for one would be best. In the meant time you could use a crystal representation.

The use of the skull cap by Shaiva sadhus is based on the story of Shiva where he cuts off Brahma's fifth head. Unfortunately he suffers the sin of slaying a Brahmin and the skull cap becomes permanently attached to his hand. I do not recall how far or for how long he wanders but eventually he comes to Varanasi and approaches Parvati in the form of Annapoorna (the Goddess of Nourishment, often propitiated in times of famine and drought). It is only when Annapoorna ladles food into the skull cap - which Shiva has been using to beg alms - is he resolved of the 'sin' and the cap drops from his hands.

Nowadays the only people who use the skull cap are sadhus, certain Buddhist schools, and tantricks of both the Shaiva and Shakta school.

If you wish to know more, I may be able to find it in the Shiva Purana for you.

Spiritualseeker
12 November 2011, 12:28 PM
Namaste,

This is some very useful information. I am not sure if I will obtain one, but it is something of interest to me. I seem to be fond of seeing certain rituals. Perhaps it is just the exoticness of it, but there is something peculiar about some of these practices and rituals that has me intrigued.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/lightstalkers/images/137862/21-AGHORI_large.jpg
Om Namah Shivaya