PDA

View Full Version : Namaste all! /\

arunadasi
29 October 2011, 10:48 AM
Just a short introduction!
I guess I'm an unofffial Hindu, if not by birth, then by choice!
I grew up in Guyana, South America, a country with a large Indian/Hindu population, and though I didn't have a drop of Indian blood in my my best friend was form an orthodox Hindu family and I was alwats fascinated.
Later, when I was 18, I started Yoga and it turned my life around -- now, more than 40 years later, I'm still at it!

I first went to India in 1973. I stayed at the Ashram of Sri Ramana Maharshi for almost 2 years, then came to Europe. I've been returning to the Ashram as often as I can in the years since then. Nowhere on earth do I feel so much at home as there. My very thinking seems to be more Indian than Western!I do hope that some day, I'll be able to retire to India.
I'm interested in all aspects of Hindu culture, but mostly, the teachings of Advaita, meditation parctice, Yoga and health, the Mahabharata -- a book I fell in love with back in 1974.

So, that's it for today... I've been lurking a little before now and thought I'd just take the plunge.

Friend from the West
31 October 2011, 08:16 PM
Namaste,
Arunadasi, most welcome to HDF. Look forward to getting to know you via postings. Additionally, look forward to your sharing of books you allude to. I hope that you enjoy your stay here.

OM Shanti.
FFTW.

devotee
31 October 2011, 09:40 PM
Just a short introduction!
I guess I'm an unofffial Hindu, if not by birth, then by choice!
I grew up in Guyana, South America, a country with a large Indian/Hindu population, and though I didn't have a drop of Indian blood in my my best friend was form an orthodox Hindu family and I was alwats fascinated.
Later, when I was 18, I started Yoga and it turned my life around -- now, more than 40 years later, I'm still at it!

I first went to India in 1973. I stayed at the Ashram of Sri Ramana Maharshi for almost 2 years, then came to Europe. I've been returning to the Ashram as often as I can in the years since then. Nowhere on earth do I feel so much at home as there. My very thinking seems to be more Indian than Western!I do hope that some day, I'll be able to retire to India.
I'm interested in all aspects of Hindu culture, but mostly, the teachings of Advaita, meditation parctice, Yoga and health, the Mahabharata -- a book I fell in love with back in 1974.

So, that's it for today... I've been lurking a little before now and thought I'd just take the plunge.

Welcome to the forum, Arunadasi ! It appears you were a born Hindu in your previous birth(s). Sometimes in this life something attracts us for apparently no visible reason. The reason is within our samskArs gathered in our previous lives ... that attracts you towards things that you loved before. Your waking consciousness doesn't know this ... but sub-consciousness is very aware of it.

So, you may be not-official and not-by-birth Hindu but always a Hindu who due to certain combination of guna & karma are born in a different environment. Welcome Home ! :)

OM

Eastern Mind
31 October 2011, 09:42 PM
Welcome Arunadasi: Just last night I listened to some beautiful bhajan singing from a couple I know Tiruvannamalai. You were lucky to have been there in the presence of such a sacred mountain. Welcome to HDF.

Aum Namasivaya

saidevo
31 October 2011, 10:21 PM
namaste arunadasi.

Sixty and not retired yet? Practising meditation in the RamaNAshram at TiruvaNNAmalai for 2 years is a great sAdhanA itself. You might share some of your experiences in that sacred place. Welcome to HDF and best wishes.

Mana
01 November 2011, 05:14 AM
Namaste arunadasi,

Pleased to meet you; a very warm welcome!

I should love to hear of your time in the Ashram, this is a path that I often consider.

praNAma

mana

arunadasi
02 November 2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks to all of you and sorry for takig so long to return here -- I have a very slow internet connection at the moment and kind of avoid going on to too many websites -- it always takes ages to load.

Devotee: I was most definitely a Hindu/Indian in my last life! Here's a story to go with that:
In 1974 I had the great grace of the darshan of Sri Anandamayi Ma. I was waiting for her among the crowds at her ashram in Pune; she arrived in a big black car and went to sit on the balcony opposite to where I was standing.
I stood watching her among the crowds for some time. After a while, she signalled to me to come. So I walked over. She asked me, and people translated, "Do you speak Hindi or Bengali?" I answered neither; only English.
Later people told me that she would not believe I was not an Indian.

This only confirms what I feel myself.
I have seen several saints and sages and a few wannabe "gurus", but none of them had the tremendous effect on me as Ma. She is truly great. Being in her presence was like stepping into a vast ocean of love.

Anyway, thanks for your welcome, and I wil be happy to share my experiences, and hear of yours!

Ramakrishna
02 November 2011, 04:54 PM
Namaste Arunadasi,

Welcome to HDF. I come from an Indo-Guyanese background, as my parents and grandparents were born and raised in Guyana. It's good to have you here.

Jai Sri Ram