PDA

View Full Version : The Vrishnis at Kurukshetra

arunadasi
29 October 2011, 11:04 AM
When Arjuna and Duryodhana came to Krishna to ask for his alliance in the great war, he gave them the choice between himself as charioteer, or his invincible army. Arjuna chose him as charioteer, and Duryodhana rejoiced.

I can't remember what happened to the Vrishinis during the battle, however. If they were invincible, they could not have been defeated; yet at the end they were no longer present. What happened? The question has been bugging me for some time! Hope someone has the answer!

smaranam
31 October 2011, 12:06 PM
Namaste ArunaJi

The VRshNis were very much there after the Kurukshetra battle i.e. Mahabharat war. After the RAjasUya Yajna at Indraprastha also, the Lord protected them when Shalva attacked DwarakA. However, 36 + years after the war, the entire Yadav clan (including VRshNis) with a few close exceptions (Vasudev, Devaki, queens etc. and associates like Daruka and Uddhav), the Yadav men perished.
Shri KRshNa decided to end His Leela on earth right after this.

Here is how it happened :

The curse upon Yadu Dynasty SB 11.1 (http://srimadbhagavatam.com/11/1/en)

Disappearance of the Yadu Dynasty SB 11.30 (http://srimadbhagavatam.com/11/30/en)

praNAm

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya

smaranam
31 October 2011, 12:12 PM
... and welcome to the forums :)

_/\_

arunadasi
02 November 2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks!:)

I'm just wondering what happened to them during the war; obviously they were not killed so how did they survive it?

arunadasi
02 November 2011, 12:42 PM
PS: I did post on two other threads, inluding the introduction thread, but it seems those posts have not yet gone through the moderation filter!

devotee
02 November 2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks!:)

I'm just wondering what happened to them during the war; obviously they were not killed so how did they survive it?

I think you have not gone through the links that Smaranam provided. The YAdva clan became very powerful during the time of Krishna after the Mahabharata war. It became a cause of worry for Lord Krishna as it would have been very difficult for the world once he left the world. Therefore, a plan was hatched for YAdvas' destruction. They were cursed by a Rishi for their arrogance for playing joke on him. Due to the curse, they fought among themselves & during these fights, they killed each other. Lord Krishna too was cursed by GAndhAri after MahAbhArata ended and all her sons died ... this led to killing of Lord Krishna's worldly incarnate by the arrow of a hunter who mistook him for a wild animal in the forest and thus the great Vrishni clan came to an end.

OM

arunadasi
30 December 2011, 08:04 AM
I think you have not gone through the links that Smaranam provided. The YAdva clan became very powerful during the time of Krishna after the Mahabharata war.
OM

devotee, I'm sorry for taking so long to reply; I've been very busy and also travelling abroad.
I did indeed read the links supplied by Smaranam and I thank him for all the trouble he went to; I'm sorry if it seeemed that I had ignored his post.
The trouble is, I really wanted to know how the Vrishnis fared DURING the war, not after it. After all, they were invincible; so how did they survive it? The answer is now moot, but it did occupy me for a while, and I could not find it in any of the versions I had read.
Thanks again to you and Smaranam!

harih
05 June 2012, 02:11 AM
Dear Sir, good question.

But there is a misconception. Krishna did not promise the Vrishni army to Duryodhana, he had no authority to do so moresoever, as Krishna was not the King of the Vrishnis (Ugrasena was).

But Krishna did give the army consisting of Gopalas, well known as the invincible Narayana-sena.

They often fought along with Susharma of the Trigartha race. They were completely destroyed by Arjuna, in the great war.

When Gandhari pronounces her fatal curse " in 36 years you will see the Vrishni ladies weeping, as you now see the Kaurava and Pandava ladies weeping etc.." Krishna smilingly responds "Most respected Gandhari, your words will never become untrue. The Vrishnis are invincible, and are meant to be killed by their own hands. It is not fated otherwise, and your words just provided the impetus!"