PDA

View Full Version : Hello ^^! 

Moonlight
14 November 2011, 04:19 AM
I'm researching hinduism and I have a few questions that's bothering me alittle on a few things. I have searched theses things on google and found some helpful sites but I have also found sites that attack Hindu scriptures etc (but that's "normal" since all beliefs gets attack one way or the other)

So here's my questions:
1: In the Vedas it talks about sacrificing animals to the gods. Was that later on changed by an avatar? Cause I remmber when I read that Hindus only offer food and flowers to the gods and that all beings are brama and equal. 

2: my mum is a jehovahs witness and in one of there books talk about human sacrific in Hinduism. I personally don't want to belive that cause iv read the Gita and the teachings is too peaceful and that we are all one. It doesn't make sence. But I do understand that there are some people who do acts that are not supported by Hindu scripture such as  the Sati system.

3: iv been trying to find the link to the Vedas that has this verse in:

"The Earth with all its waters
Revolves round the sun.
Or
The Earth revolves
With its mother water In its orbit,
The Earth revolves
Around its father, the Sun."
- Yajur Veda 3/6

When I google this I don't get a link to the Veda. It's ither used by other groups to attack Hindu's (it's weird cause they think it says the sun revolves around the earth, but it's the other way round lol...) or used to support the fact that the Vedas had advance knowledge.

4: in the Kali yuga, are we to exspect a false massiah type trying to be Vishnu's next incarnation as kaliki? 

I'm on a truth seeking quest so I know alot on the "all is one and one is all" concept and Hinduism is my next list to learn ^.^
Iv watched a few movies such as Raamayanam and little Krishna (mega cute animation!) so I know a few things on it's history.

So let's talk about me lol ^^

Iv been seeking for a year now I think and iv been Into things such as astral projection/new age concepts/conspiracys/ etc

In the religious area iv looked into:
Gnostics/quakers/4 gosples of the new testement/Jediism (star wars)/Tao. 
Lots of alan watts work others alike. So many things iv looked at and iv relized a patten, all beliefs are saying the same thing no matter what group your in. One of the quotes that many new agers use is from Jesus "seek and you will find". I used this verse as a motivater till I relized that when we seek outside of ourselves we are forever seeking and forever finding, but when we seek within and relized that we are not our bodys. There's no need to seek further.

Hinduism by far has to be the most advance religion on earth cause they understand things that science is now descovering and it's prettt cool.

Thank you for spending time to read the post =] 

devotee
14 November 2011, 10:08 PM
Namaste Moonlight,

You appear to have come into contact of some hard-core anti-Hindus. Every society at some point of time might have some people who may believe in something nonsensical but I think you are mature enough to understand that some rare exceptions don't make the rule. You will have to unlearn many things about Hindu Dharma.

1: In the Vedas it talks about sacrificing animals to the gods. Was that later on changed by an avatar? Cause I remmber when I read that Hindus only offer food and flowers to the gods and that all beings are brama and equal. 

Yes, Vedas do talk about seemingly animal sacrifice but the meaning of Vedas must be understood from a Vedantic. It is not a school text book for everyone Tom, Dick and Harry. Anything in the Vedas must echo in other scriptures too as the Vedas are the origin of all other scriptures in Hinduism. The Vedanta (the last portion of the Vedas), Bhagwad Gita (which is called the essence of Vedanta), Manusmriti and Itihasas don't support any ritual of animal sacrifice. Most of the sacrifices are explained in Vedanta as sacrificing one's weaknesses which the particular animals have & that is what alludes to animal sacrifice.

There are some Tantra schools of ShAkta tradition which initially did indulge in animal sacrifice ... but today it has become rare even in those traditions.

2: my mum is a jehovahs witness and in one of there books talk about human sacrific in Hinduism. I personally don't want to belive that cause iv read the Gita and the teachings is too peaceful and that we are all one. It doesn't make sence. But I do understand that there are some people who do acts that are not supported by Hindu scripture such as  the Sati system.

Your mum must be knowing more than a Hindu ... as a Jehova witness can't be wrong ! I have never heard of a human sacrifice being endorsed in Hindu Dharma.

4: in the Kali yuga, are we to exspect a false massiah type trying to be Vishnu's next incarnation as kaliki? 

False Messiah ? Please get over from your hangover of Abrahmic religions if you want to understand Hindu Dharma. There is no such concept as Messiah in Hindu Dharma, let alone a False Messiah. PuraNas do talk about Kalki AvatAr of Vishnu but when it will happen or whether it has some metaphorical meaning ... is difficult to say.

OM

Eastern Mind
14 November 2011, 10:24 PM
Vannakkam Moonlight: Welcome to these forums. I hope you find better answers here. :)

Aum Namasivaya

Mana
15 November 2011, 02:04 AM
Namaste Moonlight,

Pleased to meet you; welcome to HDF.

There is energy in your posting, keep it up its nice to read. I am sure that you will find some wisdom here.

praNAma

mana

Moonlight
15 November 2011, 03:29 AM
Hi =]
thanks for the welcome guys!

I got the false massiah idea from a site that says:

"We are all accustomed to the little Jakir Naiks copying and pasting utter nonsense about Mohammad being the Kalki Avatar. They are unfortunately taking some verses out of Bhavisya Purana that prophesies birth of a demon as proofs of Hindu scriptures claiming Mohammad as being the long waited avatar of Vishnu. Without even understanding they are repeatedly portraying him as the worst demon of Hinduism."

http://www.bangladeshihindu.com/why-mohammad-is-not-the-kalki-avatar/
Unless I miss understood what the writer was saying? 

Thanks for clearing a few things up and I'm looking farward to learn so much more here ^^

Eastern Mind
15 November 2011, 08:19 AM
Vannakkam Moonlight: We have our 'opponents', although most of us wouldn't use that word. We just consider them ignorant, not yet grown up enough to even see the light of tolerance, let alone understand some of the concepts within Hinduism.

I had a powerful experience about 40 years ago riding with a Jehovah's Witness. We were talking about the nature of God, and when I said, "God is also part of this road, the indwelling essence," or some such thing, he almost stopped the car and booted me out.

One of the major mistakes with newcomers to explore out faith is to look at it from western eyes. So things like watching children react to the Chinese eating dog meat are demonstrations of this false way of viewing culture. Its far better to try to see the culture from within the culture itself. Buy books written about Hinduism by Hindus.

Best wishes in your continued expansion of knowledge.

Aum Namasivaya

charitra
15 November 2011, 02:04 PM
welcome moonlight. Please explore the doctrines of karma, dharma, rebirth/reincarnation, moksha fisrst. Then read Gita. Also read David Frawley's eloquent insights about hinduism. You have a lot more inner exploration to do than your born faith would want/allow you to do. We call it self realization. (Eastern Mind gave one such example above as to what happens if you questions, with hinduism you dont stop asking questions until you arrive at the destiny).

Muslims are stuck with their hate mannual which they cant alter, no one can help them but themselves. Ayan Hirsi Ali, wafa sultan, Taslima Nasreen etc. have sincerely tried, but were all promptly expelled from their native lands. These latter women are hiding in hindu and christian lands, now safe, they cant go back unfortunately. Read and explore. Soon you will realize how all those overzealous abrahamics have set out distorting hinduism out of their own inferiority complex. By the way dont argue with your mom, at least until you gain more info. about other faiths out there. Good luck.

Friend from the West
15 November 2011, 05:47 PM
Namaste Moonlight, so welcome to HDF. I hope you do enjoy your search.
The advice given, I can not add to. Will look forward to your interaction with all of us here.

To your inquiry, perhaps the Yajur Veda. Rig Veda 10.22.14 and Rig Veda 10.149.1 may be of interest as well.

Take care Moonlight.

Om Shanti.

FFTW

devotee
15 November 2011, 07:40 PM
I got the false massiah idea from a site that says:

"We are all accustomed to the little Jakir Naiks copying and pasting utter nonsense about Mohammad being the Kalki Avatar. They are unfortunately taking some verses out of Bhavisya Purana that prophesies birth of a demon as proofs of Hindu scriptures claiming Mohammad as being the long waited avatar of Vishnu. Without even understanding they are repeatedly portraying him as the worst demon of Hinduism."

http://www.bangladeshihindu.com/why-mohammad-is-not-the-kalki-avatar/

The site refutes the false messiah idea ... it doesn't support it. It debunks the false propaganda being spread by Zakir Naik.

There are many gems in HIndu Dharma which you might not even heard of. Please collect those gems while you are here ... don't get distracted by the glitter of the garbage.

OM

Moonlight
16 November 2011, 05:33 AM
Thank you for the advises and things to look into.

Found a really good site that should keep me busy: http://vedabase.com/
So I'll def have fun with that =D
Also found Hinduism for kids that has great info on things such as Moksha (new term but I know it as the silent Self. I read eckhart tolles books and videos ^_^)

Even tho there's so much questions and understanding of concepts etc. A great Jedi master once said "unlearn what you have learned". And as eckhart tolle says "Make the present moment your friend, not your enemy"
Which Is what brama/Krishna consciousness is. Well that's how I see it anyway ^.^

@ devotee
ah so I misses understood it. Ok thanks for clearing that up =]