PDA

View Full Version : Shiva, Ganesha, Hanuman in South & Central America?

Spiritualseeker
15 November 2011, 08:06 PM
Namaste,

I hear there are images of Shiva, Ganesha, and Hanuman in South and Central America. I am trying to find images of these. Does anyone know where I can find the images?

Thanks

Om Namah Shivaya

sm78
15 November 2011, 11:01 PM
I have never heard of such things. There are some psuedo historians and researchers who try to see hinduism in everything in the world, and are basically hindu scavengers. But there cannot be any plausible basis of transmission between latin american/american with Indic culture. Similarities always exists, but only because it is the same human being, same human mind. But I would highly doubt if Hanuman, Ganesha etc are found in latin america - elephant is completelt alien to the continent.

Adhvagat
16 November 2011, 01:32 AM
Native indians from Brazil are very tribal, no connection to Hinduism whatsoever.

Mana
16 November 2011, 02:54 AM
Namaste Spiritualseeker,

It is interesting to note that the Aztec use of the scorpion to represent the same sun sign in European and Indian culture. Could it be that the humans who migrated to America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_of_the_Americas), were already using these stars as both a guide and point of directional reference. Thus the trace of self similarity. (This is no reference to Hindu culture, however it to my mind highlights the nature of sanantana dharma).

I believe that the calendar reference to a 5000 odd year cycle is similar to that of both Hindu and Jewish decent. Relating to earth's wobble? Maybe this is a common element of a lunar calendar, I must research some more so thanks for inspiring the thought.

Could it be that Western Europe has been lead so far away from the understanding of these larger time cycles by such a rigid Solar calendar.

We have come to realise this cycle only recently.

Please don't forget that I am not qualified in this subject, these are just musings.

praNAma

mana

Spiritualseeker
16 November 2011, 07:48 AM
Namaste,

Thank you all, I know it seems odd, but I also found a quote in "Loving Ganesha" by Sivaya Subramuniyaswami:

Shri H. Krishnamurthi writes in Tattvaloka (Feb.-March 1990): "Several images of Ganesha have been discovered in the excavations of Central America and Mexico. It is said that in Mexico the name of Ganesha is Virakosha." Recently India's Birla Science Institute announced a new find: "A piece of evidence was connected with the legend of Ganesha's writing down the epic to the dictation of Vyasa. A metal plate depicting the elephant-headed Deity holding an etching stylus has been found in Luristan in Western Iran and has been dated to around 1200 BCE (Motilal Banarsidass Newsletter Dec. 1993)."

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/lg/lg_ch-13.html

I don't know, but I have an open mind to this. I was quite fascinated before of seeing images of some mayans with their hands performing mudras.

Om Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
16 November 2011, 08:06 AM
Vannakkam: One of the more renowned stapathis, I think his name was Ganapati Sthapati, visited the Mayan ruins and measured some of the pyramids, and other buildings. He discovered much of it was aligned to Agama theses on temple construction regarding things like slopes of stairs, etc.

Personally, I don't doubt it at all. Our 'Ganesha' varies from Nepal to India to China etc. Since its a mystic's depiction of an inner Mahadeva, any mystic anywhere could have 'met' Ganesha on the inner planes.

For me personally, this stuff is pretty irrelevant, other than for curiousity purposes. I'm too busy trying to do sadhana at the same time of day every day.

Aum Namasivaya