PDA

View Full Version : Do god can only be find in Temples

bhajwin3
19 November 2011, 05:34 AM
We all know importance of temples and adore it and also have faith in temples. But still is it true that u can find god only in temples.
Answer!!! :)

adevotee108
06 December 2011, 10:03 AM
We all know importance of temples and adore it and also have faith in temples. But still is it true that u can find god only in temples.
Answer!!! :)

Namaste,

I am also interested in this because I live in an EU country where there is no Shaiva Temple. So however much I'd like to go there, I am unable to this way.

I have a little home shrine that contains a meditating Shiva murti and pictures of Ramana Maharishi (I follow his teaching). :)

Eastern Mind
06 December 2011, 10:08 AM
Vannakkam: God is everywhere, including inside yourself. Ramana's teaching could have indicated that. But He is perhaps proof also of the power of temples, given where he lived, near to one of the most powerful and ancient Saiva temples on the planet.

@adevotee: There are Saiva temples in Europe. Hamm and Paris are two I know of off the top of my head, but Europe's a pretty large place I hear. :)

Aum Namasivaya

adevotee108
06 December 2011, 10:35 AM
Vannakkam: God is everywhere, including inside yourself. Ramana's teaching could have indicated that. But He is perhaps proof also of the power of temples, given where he lived, near to one of the most powerful and ancient Saiva temples on the planet.

@adevotee: There are Saiva temples in Europe. Hamm and Paris are two I know of off the top of my head, but Europe's a pretty large place I hear. :)

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Eastern Mind,

I live in Hungary, EU. I know of only a virtual saiva group here as for now... :)
I also know of ISKCON centres/Temple but they are also far from my place so very rarely can I go even there.

(I don't intend to side-track the original thread by this post of mine, it is only a little clarification, not more. Thanks.)

sm78
06 December 2011, 12:06 PM
Temple worship is a unique cultural aspect of agamic hinduism which has now spread to all other sects. The unique way temples and vigraha's are consecrated creates a special divine vibration and somehow makes divinity more easily available. The divine vibration or energy is maintained through daily rituals. Properly consecrated temples of correct architecture do indeed have special value and this is the gift of agama shastra to humanity.

But we can also do personal sadhana to connect to God. Sadhana is the most important concept in Hinduism - even temples come secondary. Some temples may be helpful for sadhana.

kallol
07 December 2011, 09:36 AM
A temple is a medium through which you can focus your mind towards Supreme Lord.

That temple you can create in your home also.

Most knowledgeable people do not need temple also as God is every where and most importantly the search of self leads to realisation of Supreme.

All is within you. Why look outside ?

Jainarayan
07 December 2011, 10:18 AM
But still is it true that u can find god only in temples.

I do not believe that at all. Some people hold to the mystical qualities imbued in temples, but I'm on the fence on that one. I personally believe, at the very least, that if you look at a newborn baby, or a beautiful flower, or an old crippled person, or a young physically or mentally disabled person, there you will find God. Look in the mirror and you will find God. I believe God is found in the grandest temples and in the lowliest squalid back alleys.

And only He knows how much I am trying to see Him in my sister-in-law, a person I totally despise. As much as I despise her, He is there in her. This is a challenge He has given me. But this is a story for another time and place. :o

Eastern Mind
07 December 2011, 10:52 AM
Temple worship is a unique cultural aspect of agamic hinduism which has now spread to all other sects. The unique way temples and vigraha's are consecrated creates a special divine vibration and somehow makes divinity more easily available. The divine vibration or energy is maintained through daily rituals. Properly consecrated temples of correct architecture do indeed have special value and this is the gift of agama shastra to humanity.

But we can also do personal sadhana to connect to God. Sadhana is the most important concept in Hinduism - even temples come secondary. Some temples may be helpful for sadhana.

Vannakkam sm: Thank you for this. I think anyone who has doubts about temple worship just hasn't been to any powerful agamic temples yet. I would find it very hard for any Hindu to enter such a temple and feel nothing. In fact, I'd almost have to think if that were the case, then most likely the person isn't a Hindu at all. It's like saying that a magnet doesn't work ... it's just a chunk of metal.

Of course, most people do know that temples vary a lot from each other, and certainly doing one's own daily sadhana will enhance the experience. For that matter, the two ideas are quite complimentary. Regular temple worship also enhances daily sadhana.

Aum Namasivaya

Friend from the West
07 December 2011, 11:15 AM
Hari Om,

In reading thread and never having visited Temple, I thought best to keep mouth (keyboard) shut. Then thought of as Touched by the Lord's post and considered my own experiences. Of course one can find the Absolute/God outside of Temple. I do. As am realizing now, not as much as would hope to. What SM speaks of believe have felt at some level at different places and even sometimes near certain people. Rarely though. My hope is that Temple visit/worship would be as EM finds, a complimentary activity to everything else in our way of life that enhances our experiences, our knowing, and learning, and worship. I do hope also, that what SM speaks of will be sensed as well.
So, believe as follower of Sanatana Dharma, God is to be found everywhere. This is from experience. Regarding rest, hope to find for myself soon.

Om Shanti

FFTW

yajvan
07 December 2011, 12:12 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Temples are for our use, not the Divine. It is we that need encourgement; the need for some form of the formless. It is there for our support. Over time we become supportless. To the wise, the Divine can be seen in a blade of grass.

So why visit the temple ? for satsaṅga - association with the good;
The best satsaṅga is the company with the wise - no words need be spoken. This is the highest most rewarding thing - called out in the mahābhārata and yogavasișțharāmāyaṇa (yoga-vasișțha-rāmāyaṇa).

praṇām

Eastern Mind
07 December 2011, 12:48 PM
So why visit the temple ?

Vannakkam Yajvan et al: The answer to this varies from individual to individual. There is a variety of answers, perhaps as many as there are devotees.

Some go alone to sit in direct communion with God, whom they can feel more alive there than anywhere else. Perhaps it is the best place to meditate (for them).

Others go for satsang, for camaraderie, for other people.

Yet others go go for nostalgia, a reminder of simpler days in other lifetimes or other countries.

Others go to sing, or listen, for audience of musicians.

Others go because their parents drag them, or a sense of obligation.

Others go for boons, or for samskaras, the rituals of marking one's path.

Others go for sustenance, be it physical (food) , emotional, or spiritual.

Some go to serve. (the bell-ringers, the priests, the helpers, the managers, the garland weavers)

Yet others go for solace and comfort.

So this temple ... it is indeed much!

Aum Namasivaya

PARAM
08 December 2011, 10:38 PM
In Hinduism ॐ is everywhere (सर्वत्र)
Just like Prahlad, he can find even in Pillar.

anisha_astrologer
08 December 2011, 11:50 PM
no, god is present every where. for prahlad he came out of a pillar. he/she resides in every atom of the universe.