PDA

View Full Version : Praying question

Moonlight
25 November 2011, 07:53 AM
I was trying to pray to Krishna lastnight but it was weird cause I only know the christain verson of praying so I didn't know how to start or what to say afterwards to close the pray. So what I did was, first of with Om then the hare Krishna chant. And then asked for guidence and to be one with him (yoga) and as I was thinking of what to say, my hole mind went in silence and it was hard for me to think cause the mind was just in the present moment lol... I wanted to close the pray so I just chanted hare Krishna then Om.  How do you guys pray and have convo's with your gods? I did say to Krishna that I like to be his devotte and try my best to do what is right ect and that's when the silence hit me and I couldn't think of what else to say. 

Jainarayan
25 November 2011, 09:13 AM
There are many prayers to Sri Krishna.

O Lord of Srimati Radharani, I am Yours; my actions, mind and words. O lover of Sri Krishna, Srimati Radharani, I belong to You alone. You both are my only shelter. O Radha and Krishna, ocean of mercy, I am taking shelter of You. Please be pleased upon me and make me Your servant, although I am such a fallen offender.

Thou alone art mother and father to me.
Thou alone art kin and friend to me.
Thou alone art knowledge and wealth to me.
Thou art my all, my Lord of Lords.

O Lord kindly forgive my wrong actions done knowingly or unknowingly, either through my organs of action or through my organs of perception or by my mind. Glory unto Thee O Lord, Who is the ocean of kindness.

O my dear Krishna, You are the friend of the distressed and the source of creation. You are the master of the gopis and the lover of Radharani. I offer my respectful obeisance unto You.

O Srimati Radharani, the dearest of Lord Govinda, this is always my request to You; please let Lord Govinda along with Yourself consider me to be one of Your assistants.

Lord Krishna is great. Just as every rain drop that falls from the sky flows into the Ocean, in the same way every prayer offered to any deity flows to Lord Krishna. I bow to such great Lord Krishna.

Just as the ground is the only support for those whose feet have slipped, so also You alone are the only shelter, even for those who have committed offense to You.

O Your Lordships*, I am certainly the abode of many offenses, and am completely devoid of the practice of devotional service; neither do I have any resort or shelter. Therefore, I am taking You as my ultimate goal.

O Your Lordships*, myself and whatever little bit is mine in this world and in the next, all that I now offer unto Your lotus feet.

* a way of addressing Sri Sri Radha-Krishna.

I read that a way to end prayers, equivalent to Amen is Om shanti shanti shanti ("Om peace peace peace", close English transliteration).

The Mahamantra:

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama
Rama Rama Hare Hare

And of course, you can talk to Him like the friend or parent He is to us. :)

Moonlight
25 November 2011, 10:35 AM
Thank you ^^ I noted the quotes down and will put them in use. For the meal times it says:

"The devotees of the Lord are released from all kinds of sins because they eat food which is offered first for sacrifice. Others who prepare food for personal sense enjoyment, verily eat only sin."
Bhagavad-gita 3.13

Is that praying as in "oh lord Krishna, I offer this food to you" then eat it or do I have the food with a stilled mind?

devotee
25 November 2011, 10:06 PM
Namaste ML,

I was trying to pray to Krishna lastnight but it was weird cause I only know the christain verson of praying so I didn't know how to start or what to say afterwards to close the pray. So what I did was, first of with Om then the hare Krishna chant. And then asked for guidence and to be one with him (yoga) and as I was thinking of what to say, my hole mind went in silence and it was hard for me to think cause the mind was just in the present moment lol... I wanted to close the pray so I just chanted hare Krishna then Om.  How do you guys pray and have convo's with your gods? I did say to Krishna that I like to be his devotte and try my best to do what is right ect and that's when the silence hit me and I couldn't think of what else to say. 

Normally you chant some mantra or bhajan. Mantra is better ... imo, it is more focused and also mantras have their own special powers. So, for Krishna you can just chant, "Om Namo Bhagwate Vasudevaye".

If you can memorise any chapter of Bhagwad Gita and recite it daily ... it is very-very meritorious. If you want to communicate to Lord Krishna or any deity then AjapA-japa (reciting mantra without speaking it out) is better as their is little mental chatter. This helps in focusing better on the deity. Regulating your breath will immensely help you in getting a better focused mind. Say to God whatever you want to say when your reach a stage where your mind is tranquil and single pointed.

OM