PDA

View Full Version : Punnathoorkotta - Elephant Sanctuary

Brahmanyan
26 November 2011, 07:26 AM
Steam Engines and Elephants attract me always. I have a fascination for these two items from my childhood. Perhaps it is the same with most of the people. Some time back, I along with our family took a Pilgrimage Tour around Trissur District in Kerala. We visited the famous Temple of Sri Krishna at Guruvayur and enjoyed the Darshan of the Lord. Then we went to a place called "Punnathurkotta" just 3 Kms from Guruvayur, where we had an unbelievable sight of Elephants of all ages from young months old calves to old 75 years old "Ramachandran". This sprawling forest area is an old Palace called" Punnathoor Kottaram" (Palace) owned by Punnathoor Raja. Now this area houses the Elephants of Sri Guruvayur Temple. The present population of Elephants here is 62, claimed to be largest single place of captive Elephants in the world. These Elephants were presented to the Temple by the rich devotees, from all over the Country. We were in Punnathoorkotta in the morning hours. All the elephants were taken for their bath by the mahouts to varous tanks inside the Kota. It is an awe inspiring sight indeed to see so many pachyderms in one place. My little grand daughters enjoyed the visit most, they even touched the animals without fear!

We were told that the elephants go to the Temple in turns for Temple Duty. But all of them were taken to the Temple only on Guruvayur Ekadasi Day which generally falls during November/ December. These Elephants, which are trained in Temple duties are in demand during festival season and invited by other Temples in various places in Kerala.

During the rainy season the Elephants get special teatment called (sukha chikitsa) Rejuvenation treatment, with extra food, medcines etc., to strengthen them.

If any of the readers get a chance to visit Kerala they should make it a point to visit one and only place of "Punnathoorkotta".near Guruvayoor.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.