PDA

View Full Version : Learning from the Guru Gita

c.smith
26 November 2011, 06:24 PM
Hari Om!

Have been reading/studying the Shri Guru Gita (An excerpt from Skanda Purana) from the Sant Shri Asaranji Ashram in Ahmedabad, India.

Among the few verses that struck me today was the following:

"By steadiness in the path to liberation, by seeing one's own Self in oneself, by the practice of introspection within and by the Grace of the Guru, the Knowledge of the Self dawns in the Sadhaka." (76)

In some ways after reading this, I feel like I'm back at the starting line with little or no knowledge of who or what I am.

As my mind tries to tear all of this apart to make some sense of it, a few points "pop" from the page. "Self" - "Knowledge" - "Grace of Guru".

If one could see ones "Self" in oneself, the closest I can relate is a time or two while glancing at my body in a full length mirror and "feeling" that I am not this body. It's as if the feeling did the seeing.

Knowledge? (When) Will I ever know?

"Grace of Guru" seems to be necessary to make any of this equation work. Even something as simple as being steadfast on the path seems to require Guru's Grace. I say this for myself only however because try as I might, the bent towards tamas need be overcome before a path can even be contemplated.

I'd love feedback on this passage. Does it hold special insight for anyone? Additionally, does any of my inner rambling make sense? Please help me make it across the finish line!

Om Namah Sivaya
Jai Jai Hanuman!

devotee
26 November 2011, 08:31 PM
Namaste Smith,

Have been reading/studying the Shri Guru Gita (An excerpt from Skanda Purana) from the Sant Shri Asaranji Ashram in Ahmedabad, India.

Among the few verses that struck me today was the following:

"By steadiness in the path to liberation, by seeing one's own Self in oneself, by the practice of introspection within and by the Grace of the Guru, the Knowledge of the Self dawns in the Sadhaka." (76)

In some ways after reading this, I feel like I'm back at the starting line with little or no knowledge of who or what I am.

As my mind tries to tear all of this apart to make some sense of it, a few points "pop" from the page. "Self" - "Knowledge" - "Grace of Guru".

If one could see ones "Self" in oneself, the closest I can relate is a time or two while glancing at my body in a full length mirror and "feeling" that I am not this body. It's as if the feeling did the seeing.

Knowledge? (When) Will I ever know?

"Grace of Guru" seems to be necessary to make any of this equation work. Even something as simple as being steadfast on the path seems to require Guru's Grace. I say this for myself only however because try as I might, the bent towards tamas need be overcome before a path can even be contemplated.

I'd love feedback on this passage. Does it hold special insight for anyone? Additionally, does any of my inner rambling make sense? Please help me make it across the finish line!

Guru is none but God Himself. When you start seriously treading the spiritual path ... please remember that you are not alone. You are son of God & has decided to enjoy various sense-objects-contacts combinations within Maya & have forgotten your father. Father is very patient. He knows that you are being naught & you would have to suffer the pains with pleasures but he respects your decisions. He earnestly waits till you decide to go back Home.

Here, too this decision may not be strong ... & for that Maya is too powerful to drag you back into its world of illusory enjoyments. God waits again and keeps waiting until your decision to go back becomes very very strong. Now, God keeps helping you in one form or the another to help you come back ... the more you try to come back ... He works twice as much to bring you back. To a certain point you keep going with the help of scriptures, spiritual friends and your own conscious (wherein the Father resides hidden). When you are spiritually so advanced that there is a need to get a big push much stronger than the earlier instruments could provide ... a Sat-Guru (please refer to Guru Gita to recognise Guru) appears in your life. He is none but God alone who has incarnated just to take you & other children like you back.

Sometimes your samskArs are so strong that though you are not on advanced spiritual path but a Sat-Guru appears and by God's grace you are able to recognise Him. That grace is not understandable by logic. It goes beyond the theories of Karmas.

This Self is what you are and you have to recognise yourself ... that is the game. This Self is not known by reading scriptures, chanting mantras, doing meritorious works, worshiping images of God or any other method ... Self reveals Itself to one who seeks It sincerely by treading the path shown by a Sat-Guru. (Ref : Kathopanishad)

OM