PDA

View Full Version : WAR on yoga

charitra
27 November 2011, 06:39 PM
Nick Squires (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/nick-squires/), Rome. 25 Nov 2011

Father GabrieleAmorth, who for years was the Vatican’s chief exorcist and claims to havecleansed hundreds of people of evil spirits, said yoga is Satanic because itleads to a worship of Hinduism and “all eastern religions are based on a falsebelief in reincarnation”.

Reading JKRowling’s Harry Potter books is no less dangerous, said the 86-year-old priest,who is the honorary president for life of the International Association ofExorcists, which he founded in 1990, and whose favourite film is the 1973horror classic, The Exorcist.

The HarryPotter books, which have sold millions of copies worldwide, “seem innocuous”but in fact encourage children to believe in black magic and wizardry, FatherAmorth said.“Practising yoga is Satanic, it leads to evil just like readingHarry Potter,” he told a film festival in Umbria this week, where he wasinvited to introduce The Rite, a film about exorcism starring Sir AnthonyHopkins as a Jesuit priest.“In Harry Potter the Devil acts in a crafty andcovert manner, under the guise of extraordinary powers, magic spells andcurses,” said the priest, who in 1986 was appointed the chief exorcist for theDiocese of Rome.

“Satan is always hidden and what he most wantsis for us not to believe in his existence. He studies every one of us and ourtendencies towards good and evil, and then he offers temptations.” Science wasincapable of explaining evil, said Father Amorth, who has written two books onhis experiences as an exorcist. “It’s not worth a jot.The scientist simplyexplores what God has already created.” His views may seem extreme, but in factreflect previous warnings by Pope Benedict XVI, when as Cardinal JosephRatzinger he was the head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith,the Vatican’s enforcer of doctrinal orthodoxy.

In 1999, sixyears before he succeeded John Paul II as Pope, he issued a document whichwarned Roman Catholics of the dangers of yoga, Zen, transcendental meditationand other 'eastern’ practises. They could “degenerate into a cult of the body”that debases Christian prayer, the document said. Yoga poses could create afeeling of well-being in the body but it was erroneous to confuse that with“the authentic consolations of the Holy Spirit,” the document said.

Italian yogaschools said Father Amorth’s criticism was absurd. “It’s an accusation that hasnothing to do with reality,” Vanda Vanni, the founder of the Mediterranean YogaAssociation, told Adnkronos, an Italian news agency.“It’s a theory — if one cancall it a theory — that is totally without foundation. Yoga is not a religion ora spiritual practise. It doesn’t have even the slightest connection withSatanism or Satanic sects.” Giorgio Furlan, the founder of the Yoga Academy ofRome, said yoga had nothing to do with religion, “least of all Satanism.”“Whoever says that shows that they know absolutely nothing about yoga,” hesaid.

Father Amorthhas previously said that people who are possessed by Satan vomit shards ofglass and pieces of iron and have such superhuman strength that even childrenhave to be held down by up to four people. He has also claimed that the sexabuse scandals which have engulfed the Catholic Church in the US, Ireland,Germany and other countries was proof that the Anti-Christ is waging a waragainst the Holy See.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harry-potter/8915691/Harry-Potter-and-yoga-are-evil-says-Catholic-Church-exorcist.html

Kismet
27 November 2011, 07:14 PM
Usually I try to keep as level a tone as I can with these subject-matters. At times though the absurdity just gets to me. So here goes.

I am sooo glad I defected from this evil and wicked death cult. :)

Adhvagat
27 November 2011, 08:21 PM
Of course, because Jesus himself taught that reincarnation is wrong, evil and satanic.

Someone is not studying his own history.

http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-pope.htm

PARAM
27 November 2011, 10:23 PM
Yoga is truly Hindu value, but Hinduism is Dharma and not any Eastern Western, Southern, Northern etc regional religion. Yoga beongs to Hindus only and let it remains with Hindus only including Karma, Trinity.

wundermonk
27 November 2011, 10:30 PM
Giorgio Furlan, the founder of the Yoga Academy of Rome, said yoga had nothing to do with religion, least of all Satanism. Whoever says that shows that they know absolutely nothing about yoga, he said.

My pique whenever discussion about Yoga comes up is that Yoga defenders immediately go out of the way to declare it has nothing to do with religion. That is bullocks. Yoga has ABSOLUTELY everything to do with Hindu philosophy and metaphysics.

The Yoga Darshana is one of the 6 Astika Darshanas of Hinduism. Yoga Darshana is closely related to Samkhya Darshana in that it recognizes the ontological reality of Prakriti and Purushas. The soteriology of Yoga is based on burning the effects of past Karma. Yoga has also been influenced by Jain thought. The Yogasutras may need to be made compulsory reading for practitioners of Yoga so that these folks who deny Yoga is Hinduism can get a clue.

Hindus dont need to feel ashamed that their religion is more sophisticated and spiritual when compared to Abrahamic my-way-or-the-highway-to-hell nonsense.

wundermonk
27 November 2011, 11:15 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhcoBLdM8CQ) video never fails to crack me up every time.

To be fair, it is not just Xians who run scared of Yoga. Same goes with Muslims too. I was on a Muslim forum sometime ago. Here are some of the exchanges I encountered.

if you like to do yoga and you are going to join to yoga class, be careful about repeating the sounds that they ask ppl to make them.

like ooommm.....

I used to go yo yoga class for so long, after sometimes I understood that they were indirectly teaching Buddhism beside teaching yoga.

U can pronounce "Allah" instead of "Om"

it is not just one word, they repeat many things beside it.

[Yoga is]competly haraam.....

Hi Muslim1:

Om is a Hindu symbol/sound. Yoga definitely has some Jain/Buddhist influence. Its philosophical foundations derive from concepts like Purusha [soul], Prakriti [universe] and Mahapurusha [supreme soul]. These constitute a Hindu school of thought - Yoga Darshana.

I can understand non-Hindus wanting nothing whatsoever to do with Hinduism. That may explain attempts to disassociate any Hindu symbology from the practice of "Yoga".

Namaste.

Kismet
28 November 2011, 12:37 AM
YOGA = Union with the Divine per Sanatana Dharma, that is, at LEAST either a loving personal relationship with Ishvara, or complete and utter mystic absorption into Brahman.

Questions?

Moonlight
28 November 2011, 04:02 AM
Wow lol... I guess Jesus is satanic then!

I and the Father are one." (John 10:30 NIV)

that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. (John 17:21 NIV)

What is it that Krishna says? "I am in you and you are in me"

Even Paul reached yoga 

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. [Galatians 2.20.]

Self relization leads to yoga =^_^=

Same can be said with krishna,

"I have been crucified with Christ, it is no longer I who lives, but Krishna who lives in me" =D 

Adhvagat
30 November 2011, 12:40 PM
My pique whenever discussion about Yoga comes up is that Yoga defenders immediately go out of the way to declare it has nothing to do with religion. That is bullocks. Yoga has ABSOLUTELY everything to do with Hindu philosophy and metaphysics.

The Yoga Darshana is one of the 6 Astika Darshanas of Hinduism. Yoga Darshana is closely related to Samkhya Darshana in that it recognizes the ontological reality of Prakriti and Purushas. The soteriology of Yoga is based on burning the effects of past Karma. Yoga has also been influenced by Jain thought. The Yogasutras may need to be made compulsory reading for practitioners of Yoga so that these folks who deny Yoga is Hinduism can get a clue.

Have some pity on those poor westerners afraid of the world RELIGION.

Please don't let the unilaterally rational and scientific western world see me as a backwards religious person! God preserve me from that!

Yoga has absolutely nothing to do with yoking, with reconnection to a higher plane of existence! Yoga is not religion!

:Roll:

Hindus dont need to feel ashamed that their religion is more sophisticated and spiritual when compared to Abrahamic my-way-or-the-highway-to-hell nonsense.

Damn right!

Jainarayan
30 November 2011, 12:53 PM
I am sooo glad I defected from this evil and wicked death cult. :)

You forgot idiotic, out-dated, bloated, parochial and provincial.

The last two are redundant, but what the heck. ;)

yajvan
30 November 2011, 05:00 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Of course, because Jesus himself taught that reincarnation is wrong, evil and satanic.

Someone is not studying his own history.

http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-pope.htm

Can you point me to this teaching? I will assume this is not it ( from the site you offer) :
If anyone asserts the fabulous preexistence of souls, and shall assert the monstrous restoration which follows from it: let him be anathema. (The Anathemas against Origen), attached to the decrees of the Fifth Ecumenical Council, A.D. 545, in Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, 2d ser., 14: 318).”

thank you,

NayaSurya
30 November 2011, 06:41 PM
Jesus doesn't mean literally "in you" when they say that he said that...he is sort of implying that his "glory" (and later he calls it "love") whatever the heck that is...can be somehow transfered to others as it was transfered to him from that god.

It's very primitive thinking and often because we know beyond this simple..."okay god loves me, i carry that love and show it to you in hopes you dont hit each other with stones anymore" and extrapolate it out to something far greater which would be that each of us is borne of the Beloved Energy Source which is Beloved...Beloved Everything.

Those various folks who wrote the bible could not even imagine such a thing...as it would be blasphemous to even think each of us is a Portion of that Wondrous Divinity.

Hebrews 9:27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment.

Moonlight
01 December 2011, 03:55 AM
Jesus doesn't mean literally "in you" when they say that he said that...he is sort of implying that his "glory" (and later he calls it "love") whatever the heck that is...can be somehow transfered to others as it was transfered to him from that god.

It's very primitive thinking and often because we know beyond this simple..."okay god loves me, i carry that love and show it to you in hopes you dont hit each other with stones anymore" and extrapolate it out to something far greater which would be that each of us is borne of the Beloved Energy Source which is Beloved...Beloved Everything.

Those various folks who wrote the bible could not even imagine such a thing...as it would be blasphemous to even think each of us is a Portion of that Wondrous Divinity.

Hebrews 9:27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment.

You might find this artical intresting:
http://reluctant-messenger.com/origen3.html

Adhvagat
04 December 2011, 10:18 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Can you point me to this teaching? I will assume this is not it ( from the site you offer) :
If anyone asserts the fabulous preexistence of souls, and shall assert the monstrous restoration which follows from it: let him be anathema. (The Anathemas against Origen), attached to the decrees of the Fifth Ecumenical Council, A.D. 545, in Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, 2d ser., 14: 318).”

thank you,

It was sarcasm. :)