PDA

View Full Version : Feeling like I have to defend being Hindu big time

Jennifer
01 December 2011, 11:00 AM
Here I am, a new Hindu, embarking on a new journey of my life. The biggest journey or so it feels to me. As I am embarking on the journey I'm getting cannon ball type of remarks from people that I feel are ignorant and almost, at the top of someone's head.

For my life history fact, I was Muslim before I was Hindu, and New Age before I was Hindu, an a ton of other religions way before that. The religion that keeps getting in my way sending me this cannon ball type ammo is the Muslims. I'm not anti-Muslim nor will I ever be, but I do not take it nicely to be told that since I switched religions that now I'm "lacking knowlege" or that a woman is a subservant slave to her husband and I'm unknowleged about Hinduism is unfair. Give or take yes I've only really known about Hinduism for 4 months or so, meaning I only have a little teeny slice of the pie not like the whole pie, but I do know what the religous pie tastes like and what I am being told is a bunch of lies and stories.

Give or take I did have to explain that subservant to a husband doesn't mean being a husband's slave. The best way to back that up I gave...I know it was bad now I need to actually explain myself was, the Gods, they have wives to aid them and help them. The God's wives are not like prized bulls if you would say that with a golden ring in their noses being drug around. They are as equal as they can be. So now the question I am asked, is "Why would a God need a wife?" Yes, I don't want to say, "That was already answered to prove that women have some status." So now I'm sitting here stumbling for answers, for a light.

What I'm really saying is, I'm happy bing Hindu, and like to shout it from roof top to roof top. A good part of me is wanting to sit in a corner, and keep my mouth shut because being new to the whole belief system I can't stand for my beliefs the way I know they are, not what someone has read or heard on TV. I just want to sit in a corner and cry. This isn't going to shake my belief--no way. I became Hindu because of a dream of Ganesha when I was religiously confused, I knew that was all I needed to tell me, "Hey you, this is the road that is best suited for you." So I'm not going to sway, but at the same time, I'm afraid to even be myself around others I used to know--well in this case people inviting me to a Muslim event all the way in London (I'm in the United States for crying outloud).

Eastern Mind
01 December 2011, 11:39 AM
Vannakkam Jennifer: Welcome to these forums. I think there are a lot of people here on HDF who have experienced similar thoughts from similar experiences. Personally, I gave up on others 'understanding' it a long time ago. The kindergarten child won't get calculus. So you go your merry way, dropping some friends or acquaintances, and finding new ones. Such is life. Is there at least a Hindu temple nearby where you can find Ganesha, now that He's found you? In my experiences, He can help out with this kind of stuff.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
01 December 2011, 11:57 AM
Namaste Jennifer.

The only person(s) you have to account to for your beliefs is yourself, and possibly your husband. If he understands your new-found faith, there is no one you need account or explain to. And of course, to show your devotion to your Ishtadevata. If your husband doesn't understand, well, it wouldn't be the first or last marriage with a religious conflict!

My family (brothers, sisters, their kids) have no idea I've embraced Sanatana Dharma, nor will they, to the best of my ability. Am I embarrassed? No, but I don't want to deal with the ignorant mockery.

Them: "What, now you're Indian? Hahaha, you were always weird".

Me: "Oh, are you Hebrew that you follow an Orthodox Jew?" (we're Italian-American, and they are Catholic when it's convenient or necessary :rolleyes:).

I don't need it. They won't understand, and no one pays my bills, so I don't need to account to anyone except Sri Krishna.

So, welcome to the Converts To Hinduism Being Mocked Club. ;)

NayaSurya
01 December 2011, 12:07 PM
Jennifer...a mullah would try to hurt your feelings and tell you lies.

But, in all the world only two religions come to my mind when I think of women as slaves...One would be branch of mormons like warren jeffs. But, mainly islam.

So for them to say Hinduism is male dominated is so ugh! a lie.:p

The reason islam have no women as a Beloved example of Divinity is because women are as dogs to them. In Hinduism Beloved comes as man and woman!

Some Hindu worship the Beloved Mother Shakti almost exclusively.

The question is...why would not God "Beloved" want a wife???

Beloved Loves us all, every single one! Come listen to the story...

One day Brahma sit in the wonderful ocean...and he kept making human over and over again! He call upon Beloved which is known as Shiva, a Great Lord and he ask Shiva... I make these human so much! I do not wish to be busy like this making over and over!

So Shiva split! into a beautiful Form right in front of him. Male and female!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardhanarishvara

In Book XIII, Upamanyu praises Shiva rhetorically asking if there is anyone else whose half-body is shared by his spouse, and adds that the universe had risen from the union of sexes, as represented by Shiva's half-female form. In some narratives, Shiva is described as dark and fair-complexioned, half yellow and half white, half woman and half man, and both woman and man. In Book XIII, Shiva preaches to Parvati that half of his body is made up of her body.

There is also a much deeper meaning to this union. The one of Creation itself...

Jennifer
01 December 2011, 12:20 PM
Namaste Jennifer.

The only person(s) you have to account to for your beliefs is yourself, and possibly your husband. If he understands your new-found faith, there is no one you need account or explain to. And of course, to show your devotion to your Ishtadevata. If your husband doesn't understand, well, it wouldn't be the first or last marriage with a religious conflict!

My family (brothers, sisters, their kids) have no idea I've embraced Sanatana Dharma, nor will they, to the best of my ability. Am I embarrassed? No, but I don't want to deal with the ignorant mockery.

Them: "What, now you're Indian? Hahaha, you were always weird".

Me: "Oh, are you Hebrew that you follow an Orthodox Jew?" (we're Italian-American, and they are Catholic when it's convenient or necessary :rolleyes:).

I don't need it. They won't understand, and no one pays my bills, so I don't need to account to anyone except Sri Krishna.

So, welcome to the Converts To Hinduism Being Mocked Club. ;)

Thanks :) my husban being Buddhist is very understanding of my beliefs though sometimes they're a bit "silly," well the only thing he thinks is silly is the whole, I can't wear white or red...(unless I was fed the wrong infromation)

Jennifer
01 December 2011, 12:31 PM
Vannakkam Jennifer: Welcome to these forums. I think there are a lot of people here on HDF who have experienced similar thoughts from similar experiences. Personally, I gave up on others 'understanding' it a long time ago. The kindergarten child won't get calculus. So you go your merry way, dropping some friends or acquaintances, and finding new ones. Such is life. Is there at least a Hindu temple nearby where you can find Ganesha, now that He's found you? In my experiences, He can help out with this kind of stuff.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

The nearest Temple is basically an hour drive away I went to visit it only twice before I converted. I know i was told not to trust just my emotions but it was the first place ever I walked into that I wanted to cry because of the acceptence beauty and something deeper.

c.smith
01 December 2011, 03:51 PM
Hari Om!

Yes, NayaSurya gives a good explanation and an excellent link.

I've always been told that a female is the power behind a male, both in terms of humans and the Gods. Without the female form, the male cannot advance forward on his own - he needs the shakti, the energy of woman.

Perhaps you could think of it in the human form as thus. Woman is often the keeper of home while man goes out into the world to earn a living for family. She supports and empowers him to no end. Of course this has changed over the years as women have felt empowered and left the home to seek careers of their own, sometimes while still keeping household, sometimes not. But, I would always argue that woman is in a nurturing and supportive role - a mother none the less. Please don't take this out of context. I am not saying that woman is inferior in any way.

Please don't take the comments of others personally. Ignorance doesn't have a home when truth prevails.

Om Namah Sivaya
Jai Hanuman!

charitra
01 December 2011, 10:06 PM
namste and welcome Jennifer.
Many western women have embraced SD last several decades, but may not be open about it. Google western hindu, white hindu, also hindu etc and follow chain blogs given on the home page. Many wo/men run their own hindu blogs. For us the born brown hindus it is a very enjoyable development to welcome both men and women into our dharma, which by the way is not 'our' but was meant to be everyone's faith all along.

PARAM
01 December 2011, 10:47 PM
Hinduism is Dharma and Dharma is supreme without any difference.

http://wikinary.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/maa-durga-kawach-wallpaper-1024x8801.jpg

kallol
02 December 2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks NS for the story. As you will be aware the two parts are essentially the definition of Brahman.

Shiva the consciousness and Shakti the matter.

In Shakti we have the maya, the forms and names what we see, feel, perceive. In Shakti, we see the constant changes from manifestation to unmanifestation. Chaning of forms, colours, etc - depicted in the story of Durga and Mahisasura.

Inherent to all these, whatever we see, feel, perceive is the consciousness or Shiva.

anisha_astrologer
02 December 2011, 12:30 AM
hinduism has many layers that take years to be uncovered. it is not only a religion , but a beliefe system that encourages humanity and dharma. dharma means duty and what is an individual's true duty can be explored with the help of the spiritual system in hinduism.:)

goodlife
02 December 2011, 12:54 AM
were you born a muslim or were convert? in anycase it would be advisable to keep mum and dont let your muslims "friends/family" know about your new path the consequences can be very dangerous, mostly fatal.

from you post it seems its just your new fascination, not discouraging you but just saying dont jump the gun yet just based on dreams or vision. read and understand and see if you fit in the wordlview as different to islam as day and night.

all the best and welcome

Eastern Mind
02 December 2011, 08:19 AM
The nearest Temple is something deeper.

Vannakkam: (Sorry I edittted to suit my POV :) ) This story has happened to a lot of us, I think, although some converts/adoptives are hesitant to go to temples, especially in the beginning, mostly because of the racial out-of-place thing. But everyone's getting used to it. That's the purpose of temples ... as a house of God, they are something deeper.

I'm one of those White Nindus that leans more on temples than on scripture anyway.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
02 December 2011, 09:54 AM
Namaste Jennifer.

I found this and thought it might give you some comfort and insight knowing how Hinduism feels about women, in light of some of the unkind comments you've received from people.

Rigveda 10.17.10: O Mothers! Purify us with your compassion, understanding and enlightenment. The women cleanse us all from all our sins, corruption and defects. We come out firm, pure and noble from their blessed company.

Yajurveda 6.17: O pure and blessing Mothers! Cleanse us all from sins, immorality and pollution. Purge us from falsehood, hatred, jealousy and frustrations.

Atharvaveda 3.13.7: O pure and blessing Mothers! I am your beloved son. O powerful mother, please guide me towards fulfillment of my noble aspirations.

Rigveda 7.78.3: We can see brilliant women enlightening the society with their noble qualities right in front of us. They have given birth to the sun of knowledge and fire of noble actions. Due to their glory, darkness of ignorance, sins and negativity is destroyed.

Yajurveda 13.26: O woman, you do not deserve to be defeated by challenges and obstacles. On contrary, you possess the power to defeat the stiffest challenge. Defeat the enemies and their armies. You have valor of thousands of men. Realize your true potential and demonstrate your valor. Please us all through your courage. The world demands that from you!

Yajurveda 21.5: O woman, you possess tremendous power. You are the mother of noble people. You are the wife of truth-seeker. You are full of valor. You cannot be weakened by attack of enemies. You are full of dynamism. You bring happiness to all. You follow the path of nobility. Protect the society by realizing your true potential.

Jennifer
02 December 2011, 10:47 AM
I was a convert to Islam.

were you born a muslim or were convert? in anycase it would be advisable to keep mum and dont let your muslims "friends/family" know about your new path the consequences can be very dangerous, mostly fatal.

from you post it seems its just your new fascination, not discouraging you but just saying dont jump the gun yet just based on dreams or vision. read and understand and see if you fit in the wordlview as different to islam as day and night.

all the best and welcome

Forrest
03 December 2011, 03:12 PM
Namaste Jennifer,

From what I have learned from my journey though my faith is that the light of god is the same though different eyes. "If all roads lead to Rome," one must not concern themselves with the spirituality of others, in fact what I've observed, we should definitely refrain from any kind of conversion or attempting to disprove another faith. In strive for out inner peace on our mission to become one again with dharma we should decline any kind of disruptions to that of our own faith, focusing only on the horizon of the life of the people we currently reside in. Surely in some way the beacon of dharma is reaching them, even by another name.

Chris
11 December 2011, 04:51 AM
Thanks :) my husban being Buddhist is very understanding of my beliefs though sometimes they're a bit "silly," well the only thing he thinks is silly is the whole, I can't wear white or red...(unless I was fed the wrong infromation)

I'm not sure where you get the not wearing white or red from. There are many regional traditions, so this might be the case in some but as far as I am aware this is not general. Some Indian traditions say that unmarried women should not wear red, though I don't know of any restriction on married women. Wearing only white simple would indicate that you are a renunciate, who has chosen a life of detication to God rather than marriage and the family path, but I don't think that wearing some white as part of an outfit has any special significance.

As I am a convert I could have this wrong, so please could other posters let me know if this is right.

Jainarayan
11 December 2011, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure where you get the not wearing white or red from. There are many regional traditions, so this might be the case in some but as far as I am aware this is not general.

Agreed, may be regional or philosophical school traditions. I think in some, if not all, Japanese traditions white is for mourning. In Chinese tradition red is auspicious.

Believer
11 December 2011, 10:48 AM
Namaste Jen,

In Islam, leaving your religion is an offense punishable by death. So, be glad that you are in US and would not have to fear that fate. ;)

To keep your peace of mind, you need to make a clean break with your past associations. It seems that they are trying all their tricks to pull you back. You don't owe an explanation to anyone about your new found love for God, specially to your detractors. If you have caller ID, you can and should choose to not take calls from people whose express purpose is to harass you by making you feel bad about leaving your previous faith. Hit 'delete' when you see their emails. You must also avoid sharing the same space with them by not attending any social events where they are present. Avoid them like a plague. I wish people were more understanding and I did not have to say all that. But when your sanity is at stake, when the very essence of your existence is being challenged, you need to take drastic steps. There is no need to hide in a corner and cry and let others make you feel the way you do - down and depressed. Be bold, keep your head high, be single minded in your pursuit and develop associations with other like minded people. Temple visits do tend to strengthen your resolve and get you in touch with other devotees. Some people's fear of being 'white' in an Indian temple is self-induced. Krishna is as dark as it gets and Radharani is as fair as it gets, and we are all enveloped between these two shades. Only you can tell yourself that you belong in the temple, as much as others do. Watching some youtube videos of pujas/bhajans/chanting of sanskrit shalokas, and doing your puja at your home alter on a regular basis will increase your inner strength. No one can hurt you without your permission. If others are getting to you, it is because you are letting them. So, be pro-active, choose who you spend time with, tune out the past (associations) and get on with the business of spiritual advancement. This is not the time to be weak minded. Hope you find some peace in your life.

May Vishnu/Krishna/Shiva/Ganesha watch over you and guide you through this difficult time.

Pranam.