PDA

View Full Version : Action or Inaction: Which should be followed?

Eric11235
04 December 2011, 07:22 AM
Vannakam,

I'm not sure if this has a clear answer but the Bhagavad Gita discourses on Action and Inaction and I see in this world Action as the most beneficial to humans. I know inaction if done properly is wonderfully conducive to spiritual attainment but for me Action is more important to my functions on this planet.

What are some other opinions in favor or no of action? I'd love to know the variety of opinions on this site

Namaste

Eastern Mind
04 December 2011, 07:44 AM
Vannakkam Eric: I think it all depends on the nature of the action or inaction. Usually Hindu scriptures have words like: right, adharmic, dharmic, virtuous, immoral, etc. attached to them. Sometimes an inaction like refraining from speaking is proper.

I think the old line in the song The Gambler is a metaphor for decisions in life.. "Know when to Hold 'em (action), Know when to Fold 'em (inaction) .

Aum Namasivaya

kallol
04 December 2011, 09:44 AM
My take :

Generally any action leads to change in the state of mind - either towards higher level or lower level. The actions in the mind towards the external actions lead to this.

However at some points of moving higher, plateaus are reached. These are the equillibrium points in the journey of knowledge. Then any physical actions will not lead to actions in the mind. This is the inaction state of mind.

Act without expectations, Doing for God, Doing for general good or others, etc. These are done as duties and not anything for gain. There one loses desire, ego, etc for oneself. Here the body works but mind stays fixed.

So "Arjun fight (act)" for Me. It is that action of physical body without any action of mind (Inaction).

The action and inaction relate to body and mind respectively.

yajvan
04 December 2011, 11:24 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

A key word in the bhāgavad gītā (chapter 3, the 3rd śloka) spoken by kṛṣṇa-ji is naiṣkarmyam¹ - it means freedom from the results of action - some say freedom from the re-action, the event or binding influence that happens to the native once an action takes place.
Kṛṣṇa is saying by mere abstinence of action one only becomes idle which does not even approach the notion of naiṣkarmyam. Kṛṣṇa says in the next sloka 'no one indeed can exist even for an instant without performing action, for everyone is helplessly driven by the gunas born of nature'.

praṇām

1. naiṣkarmyaṁ = na+iṣ+karm+yaṁ

na= not, no.
iṣ= to deliver; to cast, survey, cause to move quickly
karm = karma=karman= action, act, performance
yaṁ = ya = restraining, abandoning,m also means attaning

anisha_astrologer
04 December 2011, 11:49 PM
In the war of Mahabharata when Arjun refused to fight Krishna gave him the knowledge of Geeta. one of the main teachings of Geeta was against inaction. Karm is the supreme duty of a human being, its result should be left to God.:)