PDA

View Full Version : Shiva's at it again

Divine Kala
05 December 2011, 01:38 AM
Namaste

Most of you know my story; when I was first drawn into Hinduism it was because Shiva was tormenting me. I could not sleep without dreams of him and I could not go through the waking hours without constant thoughts of him and it was only by giving in and setting up a shrine for him that he stopped pestering me (at the time it was not a 'good' thing - I could barely function!).

Well... it seems our most beautiful Lord is at it again. The dreams have started and Devi Ma has gotten in on the action this time as well. I am passing by a Shakti temple and cannot leave or pass by without performing abhishekam upon the lingam enshrined there. These dreams are occurring fairly frequently but I think I know why it's happening now.

I was at the local Theosophical Society bookstore today; I had to return a book I bought because it was too intellectual for me (I'm all for intellectual but I like to be able to understand what I'm reading!). I spent about an hour there trying to chose a book to exchange it with when I spotted 'How to Become a Hindu' by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami. I have also been reading the book online.

I think it's time to change my name. I think this is what I am being told. I have been practising for 5 years now, I identify completely as a Hindu and I think I am being told now that it's time to let other people know as well.

My mother will never stop calling me by my birth name and I accept that but I need to make another outward acknowledgement of my faith. If I don't I'm afraid Lord Shiva is going to up the ante!

sm78
05 December 2011, 05:58 AM
Assuming you anyway do Abhishekams to shiva when awake, doing it also in a dream must be great bonus. Why so worked up on this name change in that case? If you are not doing puja regularly, I would take the dream as a hint to start doing it - else I would enjoy the offer and ability to do puja both while awake and in dream!

c.smith
05 December 2011, 06:29 AM
Hari Om!

If I may, I'd like to suggest an approach to Lord Shiva that you may have not considered in the form of a prayer. Perhaps you could ask for guidance and clarification in terms of His message to you and specifically the meaning of your dreams and the potential name change. I've asked along the same lines to a Satguru, simply that if He is not the correct guide for me that the right one be sent my way. In my case, the answer didn't come overnight - perhaps you'll have a little better luck?

I like what sm78 has said. How fortunate you could be to do abhishekam while awake AND asleep. Shiva is blessing you beyond compare. Om Namah Sivaya!

The book you found is a beautiful one in every regard. Enjoy it!

Om Namah Sivaya
Jai Hanuman!

Eastern Mind
05 December 2011, 08:26 AM
Namaste

Most of you know my story; when I was first drawn into Hinduism it was because Shiva was tormenting me. I could not sleep without dreams of him and I could not go through the waking hours without constant thoughts of him and it was only by giving in and setting up a shrine for him that he stopped pestering me (at the time it was not a 'good' thing - I could barely function!).

Well... it seems our most beautiful Lord is at it again. The dreams have started and Devi Ma has gotten in on the action this time as well. I am passing by a Shakti temple and cannot leave or pass by without performing abhishekam upon the lingam enshrined there. These dreams are occurring fairly frequently but I think I know why it's happening now.

I was at the local Theosophical Society bookstore today; I had to return a book I bought because it was too intellectual for me (I'm all for intellectual but I like to be able to understand what I'm reading!). I spent about an hour there trying to chose a book to exchange it with when I spotted 'How to Become a Hindu' by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami. I have also been reading the book online.

I think it's time to change my name. I think this is what I am being told. I have been practising for 5 years now, I identify completely as a Hindu and I think I am being told now that it's time to let other people know as well.

My mother will never stop calling me by my birth name and I accept that but I need to make another outward acknowledgement of my faith. If I don't I'm afraid Lord Shiva is going to up the ante!

Vannakkam DK: Wonderful share there. :) I hold very similar beliefs, and it was Shiva that pulled me towards Him. In my case it was also Subramuniyaswami pulling me towards Him, although Shiva came first, with Subramuniyaswami about a year later.

Then it was just about 5 years before the name change. Sounds almost eerily similar. Tonight we're off to see a Siva abhishekham for Somavaram puja, and then again on Wednesday for the monthly Pradosha abhishekham.

Although Shiva is always forever content, it's the natural way, the natural path, for Him to pull you closer. You won't ever escape it, so you might just as well give in. :)

I would also suggest this is no coincidence ... just mystical nature occurring. Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Daniellasaur
05 December 2011, 03:31 PM
Shiva urged me to change my name to! I am now Gauri Maheswara, as chosen by both me and a close priest friend, such a loving thing that Shiva guided me into. He is so persuasive! :rolleyes: <3

Shiva must know how well you listen to intervene so much. :D

Divine Kala
06 December 2011, 01:11 AM
Namaste

@c.smith - I already pray to Shri Shiva regularly. Sometimes He just likes to prod at me when I'm dragging my feet. It may also be because the last 2 months I have been unable to regularly attend temple due to having broken my wrist. Shiva may be telling me to get off my backside and find a way.

@sm78 - I decided early this year that changing my name was clearly the right path to go down but was not very excited about it. However, yesterday, after finding the How to Become a Hindu book it hit me, almost like a punch. These dreams - they've been increasing in frequency and intensity - are clearly Shiva telling me to get a wriggle on. If I don't get to it the dreams will get more intense and I'll be unable to function (again) because of them.

Might as well just give in, right? God can be very persistent when there's something He wants you to do.

zenvicky
06 December 2011, 01:58 AM
"Gauri" is a real beautiful name.

c.smith
06 December 2011, 08:09 PM
Hari Om Divine Kala!

Yes, yes, I can tell that you do in fact pray to Lord Shiva and know that He bestows His grace on all of His devotees - you included. What a relationship you two have! I hope that you didn't misinterpret my earlier post.

All the best to you!

Om Namah Sivaya
Jai Hanuman!