PDA

View Full Version : Cardamom

Eastern Mind
05 December 2011, 12:02 PM
Vannakkam: I'm becoming a cardamom nut. I've started substituting it for cinnamon. Anything at all with cinnamon in it, like a dash in hot chocolate, in chai, cinnamon toast, on yogurt with cereal, in oatmeal, and more. Stuff's addictive, but once you get the acquired taste... mmm.

Now I have to go add it to Boss's grocery list, so we don't run out.

Anyone else suffer from this attachment?

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
05 December 2011, 12:25 PM
I'm becoming a cardamom nut.
Namaste,

All nuts come enclosed in a pod, have you ordered one for yourself? ;)

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
05 December 2011, 12:36 PM
Namaste,

All nuts come enclosed in a pod, have you ordered one for yourself? ;)

Pranam.

Vannakkam: Takes one to know one.

I should order one. Do you have a supply company in mind? It can be a substitute Himalayan cave. Put it in the trunk of a car, when you need a meditation break from some arduous road trip to some far off temple, just jump out, and there's the cave. (Of yeah, they already have those. I think they're called tents.)

For the record, the cardamom I speak of is of the ground variety. But I could probably go for a nut too.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
05 December 2011, 08:03 PM
Vannakkam: I am not alone.

http://cardamomhq.com/ http://cardamomaddict.blogspot.com/

Aum Namasivaya

JaiMaaDurga
05 December 2011, 10:17 PM
Namaste,

I confess to this attachment as well... whether sweet or savoury, beverage, main course, or dessert, there are many recipes where cardamom makes a wonderful addition or substitution :)

Strangely enough, it was shortly before I first found myself irresistably drawn to Beloved Devi, that I suddenly discovered the wonders of cardamom. Hmmm..

JAI MATA DI

Ramakrishna
19 December 2011, 04:35 AM
Namaste EMji,

I also enjoy cardamom. I take it with rice and also with milk along with honey and cinnamon. Oatmeal sounds like a good idea.

It is also quite healthy and is found in Ayurveda to help with digestion, detoxification, and blood circulation.

Jai Sri Ram

anisha_astrologer
19 December 2011, 04:47 AM
tea tastes wonderful after you boil it with cardamom. it not only provides an exquisite taste but also a wonderful aroma.:)

brahman
21 December 2011, 03:02 AM
Vannakkam: I'm becoming a cardamom nut.

Aum Namasivaya

Dear EM,

Cardomom 'seed' would be a nice word:)

Cardamom benefits when it is taken in moderate amounts. When used in excess, cardamom tends to increase the secretion of gastric acid, hence interfering with the digestive system.

As the cardamom is an expensive spice, the retailers substitute it with other similar spices with strong fragrance of cheaper price.

Besides, it is believed that overuse of cardamom increases the risk of sexual impotency.
-------------------------------------------------
Kerala makes the best cardamoms in the world, in fact the whole of Western Ghats region produces the best of these spices.
We collect honey from the wild bee colonies inside the cardamom plantations by ourselves, which is unparalleled, the aroma and the pungency has to be tasted, it’s unbelievable. love:)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3275/3117256807_199f8176ca.jpg

BloodyRose3000
07 July 2012, 12:20 AM
Hi

I used to hate it when my mom cooked with it years ago (she doesn't really know traditional Indian cooking so she would use it rather weirdly). She stoped using it because I disliked it, but upon cooking more complicated things I started using it lately and now I love it! Although I'v yet to use it in any sweet things.

BloodyRose3000
07 July 2012, 12:22 AM
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Dear EM,

Besides, it is believed that overuse of cardamom increases the risk of sexual impotency.

:banhim: *Covers ears/eyes!!!*

Om

Arjuni
12 August 2012, 12:39 PM
Namasté,

I wish I'd seen this post earlier; cardamom is such a wonderful seed! Besides all of the uses given above, it also is lovely in warm milk, and the inner seed-bits are good to chew as a breath-freshener. Even the aroma is magical in perfumes and oils. It's one of my favourites.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

rakovsky
22 September 2016, 06:25 PM
Vannakkam: I'm becoming a cardamom nut. I've started substituting it for cinnamon. Anything at all with cinnamon in it, like a dash in hot chocolate, in chai, cinnamon toast, on yogurt with cereal, in oatmeal, and more. Stuff's addictive, but once you get the acquired taste... mmm.

Actually one major thing you missed is coffee!
Arabic coffee comes sometimes as a special blend with it!

Question: May I please ask what the common ingredients are in Masala chai?
I read on Wikipedia that they are:
Fennel, Anise, Cinnamon, Cardamon, Assam Tea, Ginger, Cloves, Nutmeg, Pepper.

Do you agree?