PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

cmorel02
08 December 2011, 08:37 PM
Namaste friends,

So this is my tilak. Personally, I think it looks odd, but it's probably because I just started wearing it...I plan on wearing it everyday to show others my devotion to Maa Durga....But I was wondering what you guys thought. Should I apply it in a different way?, ect....:)

Dhanyavadah!!

c.smith
08 December 2011, 11:43 PM
Hari Om!

Great that you took another step to identify not only with your fellow Hindus, but with the Divine as well. I admire your devotion.

Over the years I've seen bindis of different sizes, but what I've taken most to heart is when the pandit at the mandir applies it to my forehead, it is usually just the tip of his finger which leaves a fingertip sized "dot". Overall, I would suggest doing what others at your temple do - big, medium, small - just follow along.

You will become more comfortable over time as you wear it more and more often. Just curious, but what exactly does it mean to you, that is the bindi itself - what does it represent and why are you wearing it? When you are clear on the answers to those questions, you'll be able to share more with the people who inquire as to just what it is.

All the best!

Om Namah Sivaya
Jai Hanuman!

AmIHindu
09 December 2011, 09:56 AM
Namaste friends,

So this is my tilak. Personally, I think it looks odd, but it's probably because I just started wearing it...I plan on wearing it everyday to show others my devotion to Maa Durga....But I was wondering what you guys thought. Should I apply it in a different way?, ect....:)

Dhanyavadah!!

Namaste,

Good start.

you have done it perfectly but it need to be little oval shaped. You need to pull tilak from down to top, in the middle of forehead.
But I am no expert on Hinduism and rituals, so let others also comment.

attached 2 link please check them out for tilak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL_UmaH3LOQ

http://www.visualphotos.com/image/2x3213106/man_with_tilak
( that's not my photo)

charitra
09 December 2011, 10:19 AM
looks good, but i wouldnt walk in the streets with that on my face, soon you maybe seen on national TV or youtube....just kidding.
Usually most hindu men dont apply anything on face, however only in mandirs they apply kunkum (not tilakam) whenever they visit mandir, quickly to be wiped off outside especially in the west. Namaste.

yajvan
09 December 2011, 12:16 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

durgā is durgatināśinī .

It is a noble jesture that you wish to show others your devotion. Yet it is of great value and more rewarding for you to know durgā directly and personally. While one thinks this will occur in an outward facing appearence, this is not so.

If one comes to know durgā from within then all others will benefit by your knowing, just by you being That.

It would be a mistake in understanding to think one knows the Divine by some marking or beads we may wear.

Yet that said, if this mark allows you to be reminded of Her more and more, it will serve a purpose. If it is for others to view, then one has confused the intent with the goal.

praṇām

Eastern Mind
09 December 2011, 02:43 PM
Namaste friends,

Dhanyavadah!!

Vannakkam cmorel: There are many versions of tilak, as you may imagine. The priest on this picture's right is the way I wear mine, if I put an effort into it. http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=ash+tripundra&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1440&bih=729&tbm=isch&tbnid=sTWqtoF8kwUI-M:&imgrefurl=http://rajaputhran.sulekha.com/blog/post/2008/09/hindu-rituals-and-routines-why-do-we-follow-them-2/comments.htm&docid=KIVHQe2kZwPkYM&imgurl=http://lh6.ggpht.com/rajaputhras/SOJMzg-ZF5I/AAAAAAAAE38/UyBICQ5z0IY/None.jpg&w=1571&h=868&ei=enDiToaJF6bg0QGF8YjrBQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=300&vpy=375&dur=3026&hovh=167&hovw=302&tx=209&ty=76&sig=101583928988083030274&page=10&tbnh=154&tbnw=205&start=203&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:203

I don't generally wear it in public here in the west for a couple or reasons, the primary one being I don't want to answer questions, or receive stares. Occasionally I have forgotten and had it lead to humour, like the time the lady in the store asked if I had just come from Mandir, and I couldn't figure it out, since there is a town nearby here named Mundare. At the time, I wasn't very familiar with Hindi terms.

But around the house, to and from temple, I do wear it a lot. There is a certain feel to it. Same applies to wearing of veshti.

Yours is fine, as are all, the location between the brows is spot on, pardon the pun.

I'm with Yajvan in that the real Hinduness is an inner quality, not something easily demonstrated without actions such as selfless service.

I look forward to the day our side of the planet is so accustomed to multi - ethnicity that anyone can go anywhere without fear or annoyance of questions or stares. Maybe in 50 years. Maybe less.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
09 December 2011, 04:44 PM
Namaste,

Ropes, hooks, walking canes, verbal encouragement from others and anything else that helps a person to climb to the top of a mountain should be acceptable for a person's ascent. If an outward symbol/ritual helps a person get grounded in a discipline, why should that be discouraged? Once a person gets to the top, he could do away with all the tools/crutches. When one is enveloped by His presence, nothing else matters. The blissful state insulates one's consciousness from the mundane around him. But to get there, different people may need different aids.

Pranam.

BryonMorrigan
09 December 2011, 05:02 PM
Now you just need a mustache! LOL.

Seriously though, as someone who wears a kumkum tilak on a regular basis, I usually go with the slightly more oval or "line" style...like Varun Gandhi in this pic:

http://www.news24online.com/images/NewsImage/Varun-Gandhi-291x21817757.jpg

It makes it more "obvious" that it's a tilak, especially considering the fact that kumkum looks like blood.

cmorel02
09 December 2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys, your advice and encouragement means a lot to me. :) And one more thing, I've noticed that the turmeric stains the skin when it's applied and left in that spot for a time. Is there a trick I can do to prevent this?

Dhanyavad!

Eastern Mind
09 December 2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys, your advice and encouragement means a lot to me. :) And one more thing, I've noticed that the turmeric stains the skin when it's applied and left in that spot for a time. Is there a trick I can do to prevent this?

Dhanyavad!

Vannakkam: Yes, turmeric stains. What you are looking for to use is called chandan powder, chandanam, or yellow sandalwood. Good Indian stores may sell it in small round blocks. I found some here: http://www.pujasupplies.com/index.php?action=catalog&c=Puja

But otherwise it was kind of hard to find.

Aum Namasivaya

PARAM
10 December 2011, 02:09 AM
cmorel, I like your photo with tilak. I however do not apply myself except for Dharmic visits like temples and Pooja or Havan in home. After it, I take care that I do not wipe it off. I keep it as part of devotion. It goes only when I rub my forehead or wash my face later for any reason.

cmorel02
10 December 2011, 05:35 PM
Namaste,

I thank you all for you comments and suggestions! Thank you Eastern Mind of that website, I just might buy Puja equipment and more from there! xD And BryonMorrigan I have been sked if I was bleeding from my forehead! haha, even got a comment where she said it looks like I got shot in the forehead! Haha some people! :)) But again I thank you all for everything!!

Dhanyavad!!!!!!

NayaSurya
10 December 2011, 05:39 PM
People can be so silly!:p

I think it looks very wonderful.

JaiMaaDurga
10 December 2011, 09:44 PM
Namaste cmorel2,

I am certainly not going to complain about a fellow devotee of Maa Durga choosing to express and reinforce their devotion in such a direct and daily fashion :D but I also believe yavjan's reply is a considered and responsible one... hopefully not misconstrued as an admonishment or as being dismissive, simply prudence in the face of only knowing you through your participation on HDF, and not personally.

If you find the reactions from people around you help you to remember that Maa is everywhere, and not restricted to the mandir or puja room, than that is wonderful. I have found my general capacity for mindfulness has grown slowly over time, and of course will never be perfect or complete- but surely Maa has blessed me in many ways; for every one step I take to draw closer to Her, She takes ten!

I will say this much (again, the following is not meant to be taken as "This is what is happening in your case", but rather "I have seen this happen before"):
Have you ever known a woman who had convinced herself that pregnancy would prevent her man from leaving her, only to become bitterly disappointed? Or perhaps you may have seen a dating couple walking together, arms wrapped tightly around waist and shoulder, and thought to yourself, "Are they afraid that one will run away, if the other lets go?"

Having said that, it makes my heart smile to see your photo, and no one could accuse you of being ashamed of your faith :)
For me and the tilak- I am like PARAM for when, and apply like AmIHindu says. I do not think the Tilak Police are coming to arrest any HDF members though ;)

Did I mention I love your signature? :D

JAI MATA DI