PDA

View Full Version : Hare and Hara also E and A

shian
11 December 2011, 05:50 AM
Vanakkam,
I have question about :
1.Is Hare the other form of Hara ? Only the different end E and A
Just like Shiva and Shive ; Durga and Durge ; Camunda and Camunde...

2. What is the different between end E and A ?

Thank you

Jainarayan
11 December 2011, 08:25 AM
Namaste friend shian!

Hara is a name of Shiva;
Hare is the vocative (addressing or calling Him form) of Hari (Vishnu).

Hara = Shiva
Hari= Vishnu
Hare = (O) Vishnu!
Harā = a name of the feminine aspect of God (Shakti), includes various feminine deities.

So my take on the Mahamantra, for example is, literally (now, I could be wrong!):

Vishnu Krishna Vishnu Krishna Krishna Krishna Vishnu Vishnu
Vishnu Rama Vishnu Rama Rama Rama Vishnu Vishnu = calling out the names.

Other deeper meaning is probably best explained by Yajvanji. If I am correct about the Mahamantra, you can see why it's so powerful; it invokes the Lord under His three most powerful maifestations.

Krishna, Rama = calling to or addressing Him.
Krishnaḥ, Ramaḥ = referring to Him (but we usually drop the ḥ when writing).

Hari bol! = "call out the name Vishnu!"

Harihara = a combined form of Vishnu & Shiva held by Swaminarayanis.

I really hope that didn't confuse you more... I get carried away with linguistics, and trying to learn Sanskrit, myself. :o

shian
11 December 2011, 08:12 PM
Thank you TBTL :)

why some mantras use E and some use A ?

in my own opinion, "Maybe", E is call to come and A is prefer more to union, that is no need to call because we must realize in our self (Om Namah Shivaya), because Shiva already every where and in our self so no need to becom Om Namah Shive

hm... maybe...

please teach me for who understand this

thank you :)

Jainarayan
12 December 2011, 10:23 AM
Thank you TBTL :)

why some mantras use E and some use A ?

in my own opinion, "Maybe", E is call to come and A is prefer more to union, that is no need to call because we must realize in our self (Om Namah Shivaya), because Shiva already every where and in our self so no need to becom Om Namah Shive

hm... maybe...

please teach me for who understand this

thank you :)

Om Namah Shivāya means "I bow to Shiva" The -āya ending means "to" or "for". English uses prepositions (to, for, with, upon, in, on, etc.), but Sanskrit changes the ending of a name or word.

Shiva, Krishna, Rāma, Ganesha become āya: Shivāya, Krishnāya, Rāmāya, Ganeshāya.

Ganapati becomes Ganapataye because Ganapati ends in i. Hari becomes Haraye because it ends in i: Om Haraye Namah "I bow to Hari". The last letter of the name determines what ending to use.

Feminine names (usually) add yai. Durgayai, Lakshmyai, Saraswatyai: "to Durga", "to Lakshmi", "to Saraswati".

shian
12 December 2011, 09:38 PM
Thank you :)

can i ask more :

what is the meaning of Durge... why some peoples spell it Durge and not Durga.,...

Jainarayan
13 December 2011, 08:05 AM

can i ask more :

what is the meaning of Durge... why some peoples spell it Durge and not Durga.,...

Durge is addressing or calling Her: "Hey Maa Durge" O Mother Durgā.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHMBTOuFA9k

Durgā is referring to Her.

Again, it's that effect of Sanskrit that changes the ending of a name or word depending on how it's used. Remember Durgāyai? "To Durgā".

Durgāyās = Durgā's or "of Durgā".
Durgām = used for I worship Durgā, I see Durgā, I love Durgā.

There are a bunch of other endings for different uses. Btw, I think there is a long a (ā) at the end of Her name. I believe feminine names ending in a are ā.

shian
14 December 2011, 02:37 AM

its clear now

Jai Maa Durgaa

Jainarayan
14 December 2011, 08:03 AM
Glad to be of help, my friend. Though keep in mind that there are people who really know Sanskrit, like Yajvan, Devotee, Smaranam, and others. ;)

shian
16 December 2011, 01:41 AM
thank you very much :)
i will searching some (old) thread in this forum , i think many thread can use to learn :)

Jainarayan
16 December 2011, 08:07 AM
Most welcome. :)

Cosinuskurve
14 January 2012, 02:17 PM
I used to think that "Hare Krishna" refers to Vishnu, Rama and Krishna, but I read that the Hare Krishna mantra refers to Radha and Krishna. Is that grammatically possible? (I read in the Bhagavatam that there is a female goddess named Rama ..).

I'm confused. :dunno:

Jainarayan
28 February 2012, 10:13 AM
I'm sorry no one saw your question and this answer is so late. But you are right, it is grammatically possibel. Because of Sanskrit inflection Hare can very well refer to Rādhā. Harā pronounced with a long a on the last syllable refers to or names Her (nominative). Calling to or addressing Her (vocative) is Hare, as well as calling to Hari (Vishnu). So Hare can be calling either to Vishnu or Rādhā. I'm no Sanskritologist, but what I'm learning of its inflections and phonetics, this is one big reason why translations and interpretations can be so contentious.