PDA

View Full Version : The Epic Story of Bhakta Heliodorus

Moonlight
11 December 2011, 01:57 PM
Watch this and let me know what you think ^^! I think the guy is on to something amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB8KaIuhBtQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Kismet
11 December 2011, 02:34 PM
Watch this and let me know what you think ^^! I think the guy is on to something amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB8KaIuhBtQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Unfortunately, I have to say this seems sketchy to me at the moment. Principally it looks as though we are dealing with at least two different Heliodoruses:

The first is the one who lived around 187-175 BC and to whom is traditionally ascribed the story in Maccabees (which was written down decades later). This Heliodorus is thought to have assassinated Seleucus IV Philopator.

On the other hand, the Heliodorus that is the main focus of the video, who actually erected the pillar, lived what seems to be 40 years later from 130-95 BC and seems to have had nothing to do with the events aforementioned but was the ambassador of Antialcidas, who was the King of Taxila, much further out east.

Were these two Heliodoruses the same? I can't say for certain. But it seems unlikely to me, as Heliodorus would have been considerably old by the time he had erected the pillar. How old was he when he first became a minister? Can such traitorous ministers exchange rulers? There are a lot of questions here I find in need of answering.

If this is true, it is amazing. I hope it is factual! But, we shouldn't get carried away too much by speculation.

Moonlight
13 December 2011, 11:18 AM
I guess the age would be an issue but only 14 year gap between the pillar and the Heliodorus story from the lost text. It is convinceing and it totally convince the uploader. It deffinty needs to be looked at by unbias professional's to see if there is a connection or not.   

For thoses who don't wana watch the video, you can read about it here

http://www.enotes.com/topic/Heliodorus_(minister)

charitra
13 December 2011, 02:34 PM
Besnagar Inscription

(excerpt from A Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, 2011)

Inscription on stone pillars and walls as also on metalplates have always been a source of valuable material for reconstructingancient and medieval Indian history.

One such, belonging to a fairly early period ( 2ndcentury BC) is the Besnagar inscription, discovered on a garuda dhvaja (votivepillar with the sculpture of garuda, the mythical bird mount of visnu) nearBhisa in Madhya Pradesh.

Besnagar was the capital of the Sunga dynasty which ruledduring the period 187-75 BCE. The stone pillar was dedicated to Vasudeva(krsna) called deva –deva or god of gods, by Heliodoros who was a Yavana or aGreek. In the inscription on it, he calls himself as a ‘paramabhagavata’ (thebest of the bhagavatas or devotees of Vishnu). He was the son of one Diya and a native of Taksasila. He had been deputed as the ambassador by the Greek King Antialcidas to the Indian king Bhagabhadra Kasiputra, probably ths same as the fifth Sunga king Bhadraka.

This inscription proves two things., viz., that the Krisna –vasudeva sect or the Bhagavata religion had already become quite popular and that even Greeks of high descent had gladly accepted it. Incidentally, this also helps usto prove the historicity of krsna (from Europeans).

Moonlight
21 December 2011, 11:10 AM
inscription proves two things., viz., that the Krisna –vasudeva sect or the Bhagavata religion had already become quite popular and that even Greeks of high descent had gladly accepted it. Incidentally, this also helps usto prove the historicity of krsna (from Europeans).

would this also prove that the Gita was completed before Jesus' time?