PDA

View Full Version : I found Gam and Gan

shian
11 December 2011, 07:22 PM
Vanakkam,

i have found peoples and literature have 2 kind of Ganapati seed syllable, is GAN and GAM, what is different ? is they are same ?

Thank you :)

Jainarayan
12 December 2011, 10:28 AM
Namaste shian.

Unless I am wrong, Gam and Gan (pronounced Gum and Gun) are just different pronunciations.

shian
12 December 2011, 09:33 PM
thank you TBTL :)

wow there is so many pronounciation ...
i find also so many praises is sing in Tamil language and then Telugu.

Jainarayan
13 December 2011, 08:32 AM
Namaste shian.

thank you TBTL :)

wow there is so many pronounciation ...
i find also so many praises is sing in Tamil language and then Telugu.

You are welcome. I hope that if I've given something incorrect, someone will step in. I don't know much about Sanskrit to actually use it, but I have a pretty good idea of how it works, especially having reference material. :D

Sanskrit is what's called a "highly inflected" language. That accounts for all the changes in spelling. One word can have different meanings depending on it's spelling. Another effect is that word order is pretty free because the endings have specific meanings.

That is to say, Govindam Adi Purusham Tam Aham Bhajami, meaning "I worship Govinda the Original [First or Primeval] Lord" could just as correctly be written "Aham bhajami tam adi purusham Govindam" or "Tam aham bhajami Govindam adi purusham", or any combination (in English the only one that would translate literally and correctly is "Aham bhajami tam adi purusham Govindam").

But "Aham bhajami tam adi purusham Govindam" or "Tam aham bhajami Govindam adi purusham" ruins the poetic flow that Govindam Adi Purusham Tam Aham Bhajami has, and sounds terrible compared to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rt0BWid7CQ

That's the beauty of Sanskrit. It lends itself to some beautifully flowing prayers, poetry and songs.