PDA

View Full Version : The dark side of Dubai

sm78
12 December 2011, 12:09 AM
Many Indians for lure of money and better prospects move into other countries. Dubai, which from outside appears very different from what you expect in a Arab land, is the destination of many - irrespective of the religion. As getting work visas into western countries are getting difficult everyday with ongoing crisis and stricter labour laws - Dubai remains open. I have hear horror stories about Dubai before - but this new article is very detailed and a good read about the Arab reality. Some stories are quite unbelievable, so to say: -

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

Eastern Mind
12 December 2011, 11:40 AM
Vannakkam sm: When my wife and I arrived in Delhi last year, it was at the same time as a couple of large planes carrying temporary workers from UAE. The faces looked stressed and relieved at the same time. I felt quite uncomfortable contrasting where I had arrived from.

But other governments, not just in the Arab world, allow it, not to the same degree, but the western press naturally points it out there, whilst ignoring the problems on their own soil.

Here in Canada we have 400 000 temporary workers, many from India, and our government turns a blind eye to it. Many suffer indignities and discrimination, and have few rights, because they aren't citizens. At one time companies had to advertise within Canada for 6 weeks before applying to get foreign workers. The government this year changed it to one week, so its just a token thing now. With the tightening of refugee and immigration laws, this number is just bound to increase.

Restaurant chains hire foreign workers, charge them for the transportation to and from by paycheck deductions, find them accommodation, but then overcharge for that, make them work overtime, and more. Still the foreign worker will come, just because of the exchange rates. $100 Canadian goes a long ways in India. After a year he's sent back home. It brings whole new legal meaning to the racial slur, "Why don't you go home?"

I am not sure of Europe or America, and it's indeed hard to find out, because governments don't want the local populace to know about its own inhumane nature. But they can sure point fingers elsewhere in a hurry.

Aum Namasivaya

sm78
12 December 2011, 09:41 PM
Vannakkam sm: When my wife and I arrived in Delhi last year, it was at the same time as a couple of large planes carrying temporary workers from UAE. The faces looked stressed and relieved at the same time. I felt quite uncomfortable contrasting where I had arrived from.

But other governments, not just in the Arab world, allow it, not to the same degree, but the western press naturally points it out there, whilst ignoring the problems on their own soil.

Here in Canada we have 400 000 temporary workers, many from India, and our government turns a blind eye to it. Many suffer indignities and discrimination, and have few rights, because they aren't citizens. At one time companies had to advertise within Canada for 6 weeks before applying to get foreign workers. The government this year changed it to one week, so its just a token thing now. With the tightening of refugee and immigration laws, this number is just bound to increase.

Restaurant chains hire foreign workers, charge them for the transportation to and from by paycheck deductions, find them accommodation, but then overcharge for that, make them work overtime, and more. Still the foreign worker will come, just because of the exchange rates. $100 Canadian goes a long ways in India. After a year he's sent back home. It brings whole new legal meaning to the racial slur, "Why don't you go home?"

I am not sure of Europe or America, and it's indeed hard to find out, because governments don't want the local populace to know about its own inhumane nature. But they can sure point fingers elsewhere in a hurry.

Aum Namasivaya

Most professionals would also work on temporary work visas. If I decide to work in another country, for me the only route is high skilled professional work visa. So temporary visa system by itself is not bad, as work visas also gurantee minimum labour cost etc. However, what you say, I have heard elsewhere. The situation perhaves changes quite a bit when it comes to blue collar jobs, particularly in places like restaurants. However, it is still a far cry from outright govt supported slave trade of Dubai.

But slave trade happens in western countries too - often carried out by immigrants themselves. Few months back I saw a documentary of how a garment manufacturing unit in spain was busted, functioning solely on illegally smuggled workers from China who were complete slaves, were paid nothing and made to work long hours, isolated in a compound from the rest of the society.

Human slavery has not gone it seems from most part of the world. It may be called by other names these days, but the underlying mechanism remains same. Yes most governments turn a blind eye. Human rights violation is just a political tool used by the west only in areas where it can make some gain. It continously turns a blind eye to worst human rights violators in the world (Saudi Arabia, China, Pakistan, ...) as they are its allies.

TTCUSM
21 December 2011, 06:11 PM
The only solution to this problem would be to improve India's economy so that Hindus don't have to look for education and employment in countries that are hostile to them.