PDA

View Full Version : Hello from freelight

freelight
14 December 2011, 12:52 PM
Hi all,

I stumbled upon this site while researching on Advaita, you know how those google searches go. I've been active on another forum which covers theology in general, managed by Christians, yet they let folks of all religious faiths, or no faith join in on the discussions. I've been one of the few students of Hindu dharma and philosophy there, sharing things in a more liberal eastern way. I've put my affiliation there currently as a 'Pagan', although I might switch back to 'Hindu'. I've taken over the 'Hinduism' thread there, hoping to be a positive expounder of sanatana dharma.

Anyways,...my main interest besides Hindu philosophy, metaphysics, cosmology is Advaita Vedanta (non-duality) serving as a 'base' for all other points of view and perspectives, since all comes back to the "I" of pure consciousness (the Self, Brahman, atman, etc.). Been currently reading Ramana Maharshi and Nisargadatta Maharaj, plus many other modern day teachers on non-duality.

Looking forward to our dialogues :)

Paul

Eastern Mind
15 December 2011, 02:56 PM
Vannakkam freelight: Welcome to these forums. I hope your visits here prove worthwhile for you and for us.

Aum Namasivaya

Friend from the West
15 December 2011, 08:53 PM
Hari Om

Namaste Freelight.

Welcome to HDF. I hope you enjoy your stay with us and look forward to your postings.

Om Shanti.

FFTW

wundermonk
16 December 2011, 04:45 AM
Hi Paul...Welcome to HDF...

In my experience, many folks are initially drawn to Hinduism via Advaita. The reason, I guess, is that Advaita doesnt come with the baggage that probably Dvaita does in terms of its conception of an anthropomorphic God - Shiva, Krishna, etc. Advaita treats these as Ishtadaivata/Ishwara. Was that true in your case also?

We have some knowledgeable Advaitins aboard - devotee and Ananda, amongst others. But some of them are playing truant of late. ;)

In any case, good luck.

Ananda
16 December 2011, 06:55 AM
Hello Paul/freelight,

Thanks for the message, and welcome to the forum!

I look forward to reading your posts and discussion about Advaita. Do send a message if there's anything in particular you wanted to talk about, or post a thread and we'll all dive in.

:)

Mana
16 December 2011, 09:00 AM
Namaste Freelight,

Pleased to meet you, welcome to the forum.
I look forwards to reading your posting, you will be pleased to know that all philosophies are represented here at HDF, a veritable mixing pot of knowledge and wisdom.

praNAma

mana

Obelisk
16 December 2011, 09:14 AM
Namaste Paul,

Welcome to HDF! I've been following the beautiful philosophy of Advaita myself, and definitely look forward to having more knowledgeable discussions. Best wishes! :)

Ramakrishna
20 December 2011, 12:36 AM
Namaste Freelight,

Welcome to HDF. I look forward to your posts.

Jai Sri Ram