PDA

View Full Version : Writing for College Assignment and Hinduism

cmorel02
14 December 2011, 08:53 PM
Namaste friends!

Well, in my Writing for College course I am taking, we were assigned a writing paper [full-length college paper 8-10 pages!!! :( ] and for my subject of concern, I chose Hinduism and its way of life. The title of my paper is titled: The Way of the Hindus. In it I'm explaining the ways the Hindu people life (dharma, vyasa/jati, yoga), its scripture and more. When I finish writing it, I'll make time to type it up onto the HDF to share with you guys. If you have any suggestions of what I may enjoy to include to the paper, please don't be shy! I'd like to hear your thoughts about this.

Dhanyavadah!

Kismet
14 December 2011, 11:05 PM
Sounds like an ambitious project. As a veteran paper-writer myself, I would like to ask you, what sorts of sources are you going to focus in on? From my experience, there's a boatload you could choose from, some more academic and some less.

On the downside I have heard an opinion (which I more or less sympathize with) that many of the sources are either too academic and out of touch, or are not academic enough. I would implore you to take a slow and careful appraisal of your sources before you set pen to paper (or finger to keyboard, whichever the case might be). That way you won't have to scramble for consistency given different, and perhaps conflicting, subject matters for your paper.

Arjuni
14 December 2011, 11:29 PM
Namasté,

Cmorel, I like the idea, but would respectfully suggest that it may be too extensive and broad for a (double-spaced?) paper of 8-10 pages. Such a topic could easily be a semester project of 20+ pages or even the subject of a thesis.

Maybe a way to narrow it down would be to explore Hindu themes and goals by focusing on one specific aspect of the Hindu way of life. If you used a Hindu's daily routine as a framework, for example, you could explain several different aspects of the religion and show how Hindu beliefs are expressed in all tasks and actions, everything from eating to sleeping, and maybe briefly tie that in to scripture as well (Gita might be a logical choice there).

Just throwing some ideas out there...

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

R Gitananda
15 December 2011, 01:44 AM
Namaste

There are some nice research suggestions in this thread;
http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=8680
Good luck with your paper.

Hari Aum

Eastern Mind
15 December 2011, 09:21 AM
Namaste friends!

Well, in my Writing for College course I am taking, we were assigned a writing paper [full-length college paper 8-10 pages!!! :( ] and for my subject of concern, I chose Hinduism and its way of life. The title of my paper is titled: The Way of the Hindus. In it I'm explaining the ways the Hindu people life (dharma, vyasa/jati, yoga), its scripture and more. When I finish writing it, I'll make time to type it up onto the HDF to share with you guys. If you have any suggestions of what I may enjoy to include to the paper, please don't be shy! I'd like to hear your thoughts about this.

Dhanyavadah!

Vannakkam cmorel: I echo Indraneela's words. There have been books written on this topic, so 8 to 10 pages may not be nearly sufficient, so just as a suggestion, I would narrow it down.

Of course this depends on the prof, and the course's objectives. Maybe generalities is wht they're looking for. Best wishes, anyways.

Aum Namasivaya

satay
15 December 2011, 01:37 PM
namaste,

If I may make a suggestion, I would say that you should pick one aspect of the 'hindu way', focus on it and go deeper instead of picking too many hot potatoes like jati/varna, yoga, god, scriptures etc. and going wider.

Why not start with this... What are the basic principles of Hinduism? What are the two, three, four, five main pillars/themes of Hinduism? I think answering those two questions should already fill ten pages. :)

Namaste friends!

Dhanyavadah!

R Gitananda
16 December 2011, 02:03 PM
Namaste

I just noticed some nice summaries of
different aspects of Hinduism at about.com -
http://hinduism.about.com/od/hinduism101/a/tenets.htm

Hari Aum

Namaste friends!

Dhanyavadah!