PDA

View Full Version : New Here

HenryPlatt
12 January 2007, 09:05 PM
Namaste everyone. Hi my name is Henry and I am looking into the Hindu religion and very seriously think of become Hindu. I was wondering if any one could suggest resources or would agree to IM me so I could chat with you and learn more about Hinduism. I am reading books and stuff but we have no temple were I am from so I am kinda on my own here. Well thanks for any help!

Agnideva
12 January 2007, 10:35 PM
Namaste everyone. Hi my name is Henry and I am looking into the Hindu religion and very seriously think of become Hindu. I was wondering if any one could suggest resources or would agree to IM me so I could chat with you and learn more about Hinduism. I am reading books and stuff but we have no temple were I am from so I am kinda on my own here. Well thanks for any help!
Namaste Henry, and welcome :).

One book I would definitely check out, if you haven’t already read it, is: How to Become a (Better) Hindu (http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/hbh/hbh_table_of_contents.html). It is a wealth of information for new Hindus. Perhaps you can tell us from which angle you are approaching Sanatana Dharma … this may help in terms of recommending reading, websites, etc.

As you probably know already, Hinduism is an intensely personal religion. We go to temple only to worship and do not generally receive any instruction or doctrinal teaching in temple. So, don’t feel bad … we’re all kinda on our own learning from one another. Where I live, there’s no local temple either, so I’m only able to go to temple about once a month (wish I could go more). So, every time I go it’s like a pilgrimage for me. Most religious Hindus set up a home altar and worship daily at home.

You can always ask questions in this forum, no matter how “silly” they may seem. Too often, you’ll get too much info rather than not enough ;)

OM Shanti,
A.