PDA

View Full Version : Hinduism in Singapore

TTCUSM
26 December 2011, 08:00 AM
Does anyone know anything about it?

Purana
01 May 2012, 05:47 AM
I might not be the best person to comment on this, but curiously what specific question you might be looking for pertaining to Singapore?

sanatana
05 January 2013, 11:23 PM
There are lot of Hindu temples and Hindus celebrate Diwali and other Hindu festivals at these temples and at their homes.
You can visit this website to know various activities:
http://singaporehindus.com/how-do-we-help/

Arjunesh
20 January 2013, 06:16 AM
I went all the times in singapore to the hindu temple opposite of the Intercontinental hotel.

Equinox
20 January 2013, 02:50 PM
Vannakkam

The question is too general. You can use Wikipedia or Google if you want to know stuff generally. Nobody knows what to tell due to the nature of the question. Here's the Wikipedia one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism_in_Singapore

If you wish to know anything specific on Hinduism practiced there, I could perhaps answer you, since it's exactly the same as Hinduism practiced in Malaysia. Besides, I go there often.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Viraja
21 January 2013, 04:05 PM
One thing I find really odd with temples at Singapore is that they allow the prime deity and all the deities at the very sanctum sanctorum to be videotaped (and televised)! This is such an odd thing for me, I watch SunTV everytime and there is temple at Singapore being televised and every deity is shown so thoroughly! Whereas if you take a place as TamilNadu, none of the temples allow pictures of video-taping of the deities in their Sanctum Sanctorums - only the 'urchavar' will be allowed for such purposes! Even at the Lakshmi Temple in MA, USA, they don't allow picturing or video-recording of the deities, so this must have nothing to do with the temple being old or new. I wonder why they allow this in Singapore.

Believer
21 January 2013, 09:37 PM
Namaste,

This is for all the newbies - the OP was outed as a troll. Most of his posts are a single sentence question and then he is gone, never to read the responses or to give his side of the story about the question posed. This particular thread is over a year old, so don't trip over each other to answer the OP's question.

Pranam.

Equinox
22 January 2013, 05:32 AM
Vannakkam

Thank you for confirming my doubts Believer.

Aspirant: That's strange. To tell you the truth, I've seen many videos and photos of murtis inside the sanctum sanctorum of many famous temples in India. I find it odd that you seem surprised that it's happening in Singaporean temples. I do agree that most strict temples do not allow cameras inside. But Singapore is not exactly India and comprise a mixed group of Hindus. So the rules are not too strict. Singaporean temples are also tourist magnets, since most people are intrigued with Hindu culture and can't wait to see what's inside a temple. I've been asked by tourists at the very entrance of these temples if they were allowed to photograph it's interior, and as much as I dislike the idea, I say, "Yes, you can." Besides, there aren't any notice boards stating that photographs aren't allowed.

I'm one of those "possessive" Hindus who devotedly guard our Hindu heritage from outsiders. But I'm also proud of my heritage and don't see any harm in filming or photographing the main deities in temples so that the world can familiarise themselves with our unique statues, rituals and temples and learn more about them. :)

Aum Namah Shivaya