PDA

View Full Version : The creation according to Shaivaism

shian
26 December 2011, 09:54 PM
Vanakkam,

i have read from some website of Shaivaism
there is said , the soul is not created
so we are is already deluded without begin
(not like Abrahamic religion theory of creation , about God is created our soul in the begining.)
But Shiva is not different with us , but we not realized it , so we suffer in birth and death.

Yes Shiva's power is have do the creation, but this creation is mean, only created the material body or material world to us, to use it for cultivate , realize Shiva.

so entire universe is without begining and without end, there is only a proces like cycle of creation, preservation and destruction, again again and again, without end.

Is this right ? ( i mean , is this right the theory of Shaivaism)

because many peoples is know Hinduism theory of creation is like abrahamic (have a begining when Lord create the soul)
And in Indonesia, so many peoples (maybe non Hindu) is have miss understanding with Hindu teachings of creation, many peoples is think Universe is have a begining point, Brahma create it then, Vishnu preservation, then Shiva destroy it , then END (no any creation again). Only like this.

Obelisk
27 December 2011, 12:08 AM
Yes, I think a significant strength of both Shaivaism and Advaita is that creationism is one thing that they precisely are not, at least in the commonly known way. Rather, they say that the creation and Creator are One, and it is the veil of Maya that makes them appear different and dual in nature. This is also the basis of the beautiful saying "Shivoham" ("I Am Shiva"). The point about the eternal cyclic expansion/dissolution of the universe is also correct.

(If I went wrong anywhere, please correct me. :) )

shian
27 December 2011, 12:29 AM
Vanakkam,

Obelisk, thank you

if this right,
its mean i prefer to the belief of Shaivaism and Advaita :)

wundermonk
27 December 2011, 03:47 AM
so entire universe is without begining and without end, there is only a proces like cycle of creation, preservation and destruction, again again and again, without end.

Is this right ? ( i mean , is this right the theory of Shaivaism)

That the universe is beginningless is held by all schools of Hinduism. That it goes through cycles of manifestation [I prefer to use this in lieu of creation which implies that there was nothing before creation], sustenance and dissolution is also held by all philosophical schools [Nyaya, Vaiseshika, Vedanta, Yoga and Samkhya].

The only exception, if I remember correctly, is the Mimamsa Darshana which believes that there is no cycle of manifestation, sustenance and dissolution. The universe is eternal.

shian
27 December 2011, 08:20 AM
Vanakkam
Wundermonk,
Thank you before.

I have read a book of ISKCON about the creation, seems like said there is a begining, but we are forget it because is already long time and we cant remember it. (I mean this is the another philosophy of creation)

Anyway, many peoples is missunderstanding about Hindu concepts of creation.
Maybe this is because the spread of abrahamic religion, so many peoples will be imagine the begining story of bible when they are hear the word "creation". So they also think in the same way for "creation" concept in Hinduism and about Brahma.

For myself, i see the fact that is so many theory of creation, peoples try to discuss it with the logic. I not search which one is right , but i only know there is one is suitable for my mind :) and this is only a outer theory, if we attached in this, even in our entire life, we will never find the TRUTH, the Truth only can realized with inner cultivation.

For myself :
i open this thread only to make sure the theory. Not to judge.
And i not worried about what happened in the creation process, the function in inner realization is only to make our mind no need to attached after we find the suitable theory for our mind condition. If we still attached with the worried about where is it all come from , we will never can meditate on the Name or Mantras.

But if someone not have problem with the question about where are he come from, he even no need the theory of creation. He can do the japa of Shiva name even he not understand about any other theory, like a old woman who cant learn the Vedas, but she born in Shivaloka after she dead , only because the power of her japa. But the one young man who learned have many theory in head then in this many theory he have get many question on many method, then never do any method of japa with peace mind in his entire life only because he always can't raise the pure believe when he chant, there is so many theory flay and play in head when he doing japam. (Off course not all who learned will like this, everyone have different capacity and skill according of their karma)