PDA

View Full Version : New Years Resolution

rainbowlotus
01 January 2012, 01:56 PM
Happy New Year Everyone!

I was wondering if any HDF members have any New Years resolutions. Or just share your hopes and dreams for this upcoming year. One thing that has been bothering me lately is the mentions of the world ending because I doubt that it is going to happen.

NayaSurya
01 January 2012, 03:11 PM
This whole year was quite wonky(I use wonky in memory of my best friend who passed in Spring 2011 when her cancer came out of remission). This year brought deep lessons.

I rarely make resolutions on this day...for me, if a change is good enough to make...it's good enough to make when it comes in your head, whatever day:p

But, today I have just returned from my biological father dying. He died holding my hand yesterday at 4:30.

A child, set on fire by his own father...tortured...then in return did the same to his own....his own: two repeated this cycle...and two did not.

I would not mind the world ending...any time would be fine. I trust in Beloved...and if that was our destiny then I would be very happy.

I just don't think it can be that easy for us...afterall what experiences can be known and learned from if all is returned?

When I was a child I used to cry for homeless me on the street begging for food and money. Now, I am not so sure they have the wrong idea about all of this...A vagrant has the potential to be the wisest Being in this realm from this portions observation.

I have come very far this past year, and have very far still to go...

and so I say that I am here today, and my family stands around me with so much Love....and just as I do every morning that I am given the gift to operate this vessel yet another moment...I thank Beloved.

Never taking it for granted this precious time we have.

What I wish for each of you is a speedy journey...and a wealth of Love.

With all my heart I wish this for you.

Happy New Year

Beloved, Beloved Everything<3

Eastern Mind
01 January 2012, 03:56 PM
Happy New Year Everyone!

I was wondering if any HDF members have any New Years resolutions. Or just share your hopes and dreams for this upcoming year. One thing that has been bothering me lately is the mentions of the world ending because I doubt that it is going to happen.

Vannakkam RL: I don't personally, but what did you vow? I ignore that nonsense. Somebody says it every year. :D

Aum Namasivaya

Kismet
01 January 2012, 06:38 PM
For me it is pretty simply... increasing my knowledge of and devotion to Radha and Krsna, together with studying my tradition more and more, and taking the necessary steps of "growing up" mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and health-wise in whatever capacity I may.

Sometimes it's all a matter of opening your eyes and not becoming self-satisfied. No need for any extravagant claims.

Friend from the West
01 January 2012, 08:32 PM
Hari Om,

Namaste Rainbow and to everyone, please do not concern yourself regarding such predictions. I think just take care of today. That is my hope for you.

NayaSurya, my friend, my heart goes to you with your news. My prayers are with your biological father with this part of the journey. Also they go to you and your most cherished family.

During this time, that you wish for us, that you think of us here something kind, is such a part of you, that will always touch me. Thank you. I pray for you that you even feel more loved than already, by the Beloved, and the portions of the beloved, here at HDF.

Rainbow, not so much concerned with resolutions. Hope, different story. If Hope Springs Eternal, my hope is that all find who they are, and with realization, manifestation of such is ... this I can not yet articulate :).

Hari Om

FFTW

rainbowlotus
01 January 2012, 09:41 PM
Vannakkam RL: I don't personally, but what did you vow? I ignore that nonsense. Somebody says it every year. :D

Aum Namasivaya

They are truly hard to keep, but I do have some goals that I want to accomplish in the future. I want to further my devotion and knowledge of Hinduism, practice dance everyday, practice guitar, learn how to cook, and keep up with my language studies.

sanjaya
02 January 2012, 01:11 AM
The few times I make anything like a New Year's resolution, it's in August. For those of us even remotely tied to an academic calendar, that's effectively when the year starts. The beginning of January for me isn't significantly different from the end of December, so not much motivation to resolve to do anything.

Also, if you're into making vows to God, seems to me like any time of year is a fine time to do so.

sm78
02 January 2012, 01:59 AM
How many of us can recollect a "new year resolution" they were able to actualize over the course of the year? Somehow, I feel these resolutions are doomed for failure from the moment they are made. At least they have been with me. What are success rate of others?

c.smith
02 January 2012, 02:30 PM
Hari Om!

Everyday is New Year's day for me because I always make the same vows - to seek the blessings of God and the gods, to succeed in bettering my life spiritually and touching those that I come in contact with, and to maintain celibacy in its 3 forms.

Om Namah Sivaya
Jai Hanuman!

yajvan
02 January 2012, 06:28 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

Making new years resolutions are fine, yet do they get the support from the laws of nature ? New years ( unless it is one's birthday) is just another day within the rotation of the earth about the sun.
From a jyotish perspective , it seems to me, the best time to make resolutions that involve a ~new year~ is during one's own tithi praveśa.

tithi has certain prada प्रद- the giving , yielding , offering , granting , bestowing , causing , effecting , uttering, influence
praveśa - to make one's entrance , enter; intentness on an object , engaging closely in a pursuit or purpose Tithi praveśa is that time in your chart when the sun and the moon return to the same astonomical location of the day when you were born. It is not always your date of birth. It can be before or even after this date, and sometimes its actially on the date of birth, but its all where the sun and moon arrive and have the same angular distance between the two.
This then is a meaningful new year as something really begins anew for the individual - a new beginning in one's birth chart.

praṇām

Jainarayan
02 January 2012, 06:48 PM
Namaste.

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Making new years resolutions are fine, yet do they get the support from the laws of nature ? New years ( unless it is one's birthday) is just another day within the rotation of the earth about the sun.

I feel the same way, except that I don't fully understand jyotish, but I think I got the idea. I say the sun has risen on the day of the New Year for the past 5 billion years with or without me, and will continue to rise on the day of the New Year for the past 5 billion years with or without me. :D

As for resolutions, I think we should resolve any time any day to do anything. My daily resolutions are to do my best to be a good bhakta, to serve Lord Krishna and my fellow beings.

That said, I resolved during the last week of December that I was going to purge my mind of the belief that because of my back surgery it was OK to let my body go to the dogs, get fat and stop weight lifting. To that end I joined Weight Watchers and got my butt back in the gym to start weight lifting again, albeit with baby weights. It simply coincided with the beginning of the year.

Divine Kala
02 January 2012, 07:29 PM
My resolution is to officially change my name from Casey McKenzie to Chhaya Sundari sometime within the next 12 months and then to undergo the Namakarana Samskara. I will then officially be known as Chhaya Sundari (not to my mother of course! And probably not to a large majority of my relatives).

charitra
02 January 2012, 08:41 PM
Heartfelt condolences Naya

This whole year was quite wonky(I use wonky in memory of my best friend who passed in Spring 2011 when her cancer came out of remission). This year brought deep lessons.

I rarely make resolutions on this day...for me, if a change is good enough to make...it's good enough to make when it comes in your head, whatever day:p

But, today I have just returned from my biological father dying. He died holding my hand yesterday at 4:30.

A child, set on fire by his own father...tortured...then in return did the same to his own....his own: two repeated this cycle...and two did not.

I would not mind the world ending...any time would be fine. I trust in Beloved...and if that was our destiny then I would be very happy.

I just don't think it can be that easy for us...afterall what experiences can be known and learned from if all is returned?

When I was a child I used to cry for homeless me on the street begging for food and money. Now, I am not so sure they have the wrong idea about all of this...A vagrant has the potential to be the wisest Being in this realm from this portions observation.

I have come very far this past year, and have very far still to go...

and so I say that I am here today, and my family stands around me with so much Love....and just as I do every morning that I am given the gift to operate this vessel yet another moment...I thank Beloved.

Never taking it for granted this precious time we have.

What I wish for each of you is a speedy journey...and a wealth of Love.

With all my heart I wish this for you.

Happy New Year

Beloved, Beloved Everything<3

Adhvagat
03 January 2012, 01:45 AM
How many of us can recollect a "new year resolution" they were able to actualize over the course of the year? Somehow, I feel these resolutions are doomed for failure from the moment they are made. At least they have been with me. What are success rate of others?

Thank God life is always different than what I envision. ;)

Just becase we cannot fully predict the movements of this plural manifestation doesn't mean we shouldn't stand back and plan a little. The problem is getting caught up in plans and expectations and hindering ourselves unable to adapt.

Life is flux.

sm78
03 January 2012, 02:40 AM
I was not talking about planning per se, but this particular emphasis on the new year which seems always doomed for failure for me. Plans should be constantly made and updated based on needs and changes to one's life.

Lajila
03 January 2012, 04:39 AM
I do not usually make New Year Resolutions, because they are always made because we feel we have to, not out of true heart.

I do hope that this year brings me peacefulness within, and that I will come to know more about Hinduism, and can actually begin to 'live' it.

Sahasranama
29 January 2012, 06:07 AM
http://www.theironsamurai.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/wpid-Photo-Jan-2-2012-103-PM.jpg

Believer
29 January 2012, 07:06 AM
Namaste,

Good one Sahas, why change a perfect being with resolutions. :)

BTW, I like the title that you have bestowed upon yourself, 'Hindu Fundamentalist'.

Pranam.

Believer
31 January 2012, 12:37 AM
Namaste,

.... I joined Weight Watchers and got my butt back in the gym to start weight lifting again, albeit with baby weights.

TBTL, this is just a joke and in no way meant to offend you.
Along the lines of your post, somebody mocked me with these lines,

What you gonna do
when Jenny Craig comes looking for you
fat boy, fat boy

I thought it was hilarious; a creative twist on a popular number.

Pranam.

Jainarayan
31 January 2012, 08:39 AM
Namaste,

TBTL, this is just a joke and in no way meant to offend you.
Along the lines of your post, somebody mocked me with these lines,

What you gonna do
when Jenny Craig comes looking for you
fat boy, fat boy

I thought it was hilarious; a creative twist on a popular number.

Pranam.

Namaste my twisted-sense-of-humor friend. You beat me to it. I love that song... I occasionally play it on guitar just to be an annoyance at home. I even have it as a ringtone on my phone. :D

One night my nephew came home from a pizzeria that has a contest that if you eat the whole pie you get a t-shirt. He ate one and then some, and got a XXL t-shirt for it. He wore it but it was still stretched out. I started with the "Fat boy, fat boy, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna 'cause it don't fit you... ". He says "you know Uncle Frank, you just ain't right!" I said, no what ain't right is that the t-shirts don't come in XXXXXXL. :Roll: :Roll: :Roll: