PDA

View Full Version : Family Deity

shian
06 January 2012, 01:41 AM
Vanakkam,

Please share your sweet story with your Family Deity
Who ? Why ? Who started ? How the story ? etc

i mean , The main deity of your family altar ;)

i have friend, she is worshiped Devi as personal deity, but her husband is Shaivite and worship Shiva in family altar, and as family deity :)
So her family deity is Shiva.

i have friend, he is young, he is devotee of Krsna. But their parents is already worship Shiva before he born. So his family deity is Shiva.
He will have Krsna as family deity if he was married and become father :)

They have different personal deity with Family Deity, and how they can respect the deity from husband or parents, and what they feel, is they have grateful toward family deity who protect their family ?

She respect Shiva
He , who devotee of Krsna, is take a picture of Shiva and installed to his room. Then he said he like Shiva, even in his sect, Shiva is demi-gods.

Thank you :)

Jainarayan
06 January 2012, 08:05 AM
Namaste shian.

Sri Krishna is the focus of my devotion and iṣṭa-devatā but Maa Saraswati holds a special place too, because I play guitar and bass. She is the first one I made contact with and helps me with my music. Through Her I was brought to Sri Krishna. I also revere Lord Hanuman because I am a weightlifter. So They are the two Who hold a special place after Lord Krishna, my Supreme God.

shian
06 January 2012, 10:56 AM
Vanakkam,

Wow harmonization :)
Power and art of weightlifter, balance of music, then spiritual strength by devotion toward Krsna.
Nice to know the beautiful experience and relation between friend and their Istadevata and Kuladevata. I think this knowledge about friends and God relation, look like watch the Lilas of Bhagavan, how He show the way in everyone life, how sweet, and He really life witihn everyone!
Thank you :)

I must share my self,
My mom is christian and my father is no any specific religion, so we dont have Family Deity,
In 1998 from christian, i started to learn Hindu and Buddhism
I learn together with my brother,
We worshiped Hindu and Buddhist Deitys,
For first time, we installed Avalokitesvara, then become so many Buddhist tantric deitys and Hindu Deitys, like Tri-murti, Saraswati, Durga, Kali.
But we installed Lord Ganesh in center.
Then my mom become devotee of Avalokitesvara.

Then i must stay in other city, my brother also in another city
Now i worship Lord Shiva, Lord Ganesh and Saraswati Maa.
But i only have darshan of Lord Ganesh and i already take a vow to become devotee of Lord Ganesh in my entire life (i do it with love)
First is i dream about Him, He is shining golden red in colour, the floor is full with the white cloud , or maybe white smoke... Then he was 8 armed, dancing and smile. He dance in front of big gate (then after i go to Singapore Mandir, i just know the gate is Mandir gate or main door ) the door is big in golden colour and shining, there is very stronge white light behind the door (door is opened).

The second is when i joined Ganesha Homa, i have see Him dancing even jumping, then in the last i see He appear in black colour, when i see The Black One, i has think, this must be to subjugate the enemies (after the Homa, Acarya was said Ganesh is joy and dancing when the Homa fire is lighten. Then in the end Acarya have said please subjugate enemies) so i surprized, what i see is real. (But in other event i not always see Him, and i also don want it, i only think to sincere) i think if He want , He will give Darshan, if not neccesary He will not give it. For me both is good, and let it be...
So my Family Deity is Lord Ganesh. (My brother also love Him)
My Devi is Maa Saraswati.

This is my story...
Maybe cant said family deity, because i not yet married and not stay with family.

So i feel grateful when i hear the story of peoples who have family Deity,
Because i dont have it, my family is not religious family
I love to know Hindu family who their parents have worshiped some deity to protect their entire family and they are life with the devotion to the Family Deity, this is so sweet.
I never feel it but i feel grateful for anyone who have family deity

Jainarayan
06 January 2012, 11:35 AM
For first time, we installed Avalokitesvara, then become so many Buddhist tantric deitys and Hindu Deitys, like Tri-murti, Saraswati, Durga, Kali.
But we installed Lord Ganesh in center.
Then my mom become devotee of Avalokitesvara....

So my Family Deity is Lord Ganesh. (My brother also love Him)
My Devi is Maa Saraswati.

This is my story...
Maybe cant said family deity, because i not yet married and not stay with family.

So i feel grateful when i hear the story of peoples who have family Deity,
Because i dont have it, my family is not religious family...

You probably know this, but for anyone who doesn't, Avalokiteśvara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalokite%C5%9Bvara) in female manifestations is revered in East Asia as Guānyīn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanyin), the Compassionate Mother or Goddess of Mercy.

Family doesn't need to be religious, it's what's in your heart that matters. ;)

Aum namah Śivāya
19 April 2012, 04:09 PM
नमस्ते,

I know this thread is old, but I wish there would be more replies, as it is an interesting topic. So, I will share my own thoughts.

My wife and I are new to Hinduism, so we are still learning a lot about different deities.

I have had a statue of Kṛṣṇa since I was about 11-12 years old. So, I believe that perhaps it was He who guided me very gradually toward Hinduism. When I first entered, His was the only statue/image I had, so it was He that I worshipped in my very limited way.

Then we also had a devotion to Śiva and Śakti in her various forms as Kāli and Durgā, who have protected us in so many ways. We also love Gaṇeśa. I'm also growing to love Lakṣmī.

So it's rather complicated right now, but I think primary for us now are Śiva and Kṛṣṇa, as well as Ma Śakti. I feel like I've practically grown up with Kṛṣṇa, so there is definitely an attachment there.

I forgot to mention something interesting that happened that seems relevant to this topic. We did our first puja this morning. It was very much customized, however, as we aren't able or don't have the resources to do much of what is custom. We are both visually impaired, just for reverence.

Since we can't use incense, my wife had the idea of spraying some of her favorite perfume as an offering to substitute for smell. It wasn't very much, just enough to notice.

Well, about 30 minutes after the puja, she got a waft of the same perfume, but in a completely different room of the house, and much stronger than it should have been. One minute it wasn't there, and the next it was. It lasted a good 10 minutes or so. She tried to track it down to some particular object, but it was concentrated in several different locations, but not on any object.

So, we took it as a nudge from Ma Kali. She was having some doubts yesterday, as much of Hinduism is very different than her cultural/religious upbringing, so it is a difficult transition, though she loves it. So we think that sign came today as a comfort and reassurance to her. Either way, it was beautiful.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Jainarayan
20 April 2012, 09:48 AM
Namaste.

नमस्ते,

Then we also had a devotion to Śiva and Śakti in her various forms as Kāli and Durgā, who have protected us in so many ways. We also love Gaṇeśa. I'm also growing to love Lakṣmī.

So it's rather complicated right now, but I think primary for us now are Śiva and Kṛṣṇa, as well as Ma Śakti. I feel like I've practically grown up with Kṛṣṇa, so there is definitely an attachment there.

While I am a self-identified Vaishnava, and have affinity and love for Sri Krishna, Mahalakshmi, Lord Vishnu, and feel protected by Lord Narasimha, I have a definite affinity, love and attraction to Lord Shiva and forms of Divine Mother: Maa Durga, Maa Kali, Maa Saraswati.

Because Sri Krishna speaks personally in the Bhagavad Gita, for me He is the manifest representation of Brahman (as much as any other deva or devi is) Who speaks to us. But as Krishna, Brahman takes the form that speaks to us and teaches. This is just my view.

We did our first puja this morning. It was very much customized, however, as we aren't able or don't have the resources to do much of what is custom. We are both visually impaired, just for reverence.

Thread Puja as you do it. (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32518#post32518)

... So, we took it as a nudge from Ma Kali. ... So we think that sign came today as a comfort and reassurance to her.

Probably. ;)

Aum namah Śivāya
20 April 2012, 09:58 AM
Because Sri Krishna speaks personally in the Bhagavad Gita, for me He is the manifest representation of Brahman (as much as any other deva or devi is) Who speaks to us. But as Krishna, Brahman takes the form that speaks to us and teaches. This is just my view.

नमस्ते,

I agree. I love how personal Kṛṣṇa is. He seems to come down to my level when I need it. I was very anxious about something this morning, so I meditated in front of the shrine where I have His statue, and silently chanting Hare Kṛṣṇa, and in a few minutes the anxiety left me completely as if a heavy load were literally just taken off my shoulders just like that. I thanked Him profusely and went on with my morning feeling much lighter.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Eastern Mind
20 April 2012, 10:05 AM
Vannakkam: My family deity (and my sampradaya's deity) is Siva, most especially as Nataraja.

But we should remember that in terms of supreme, it is all actually the same deity. There aren't actually several. Each may represent a different aspect of the supreme, or a different view from some different viewpoint, but it is all Brahman.

Aum Namasivaya

sunyata07
20 April 2012, 04:22 PM
Namaste Shian and everyone,

Interesting thread, although I think it becomes quite apparent with some of our more frequent posters who their family deity is going to be. It's hard to to write about Sanatana Dharma and bhakti on HDF without mentioning your ishta-devata every few posts or so. :)

Needless to say I have no family deity per se as I wasn't raised Hindu and am not married yet with a family of my own. It was through Ganesha that I found Sanatana Dharma so I will never stop loving Him for that. Shiva and Durga (the form of Devi I identify with most strongly) I see as my Divine Mother and Father, so I believe they would be given the seat of honour in my family shrine, with Ganesha fittingly as Their son.

And yet if you look at the range of Devas traditionally worshipped within Hinduism, there are actually a finite amount I've come to realise - all extraneous deities outside the main luminary Beings are actually just expansions and aspects of the same Deva, bringing it back to the whole idea of worshipping the same projection of Brahman, the Ultimate.

Om namah Shivaya

Jainarayan
20 April 2012, 05:01 PM
Namaste.

Namaste Shian and everyone,

Interesting thread, although I think it becomes quite apparent with some of our more frequent posters who their family deity is going to be. It's hard to to write about Sanatana Dharma and bhakti on HDF without mentioning your ishta-devata every few posts or so. :)

Are we that obvious!? :dunno:

:p

ShivaFan
20 April 2012, 05:24 PM
Mine is Hanuman. Hanuman is standing on a lotus with both hands almost lifted as if to pray, but palms are upward and the tips of the three center fingers of each hand are touching. He is dressed as a Brahmachari, with a cap, and almost the same exact style of Karttikeya as a boy Brahmachari. The particular cast is very old, and based on a very old cast going back hundreds of years or more from the area of India around Delhi. This Hanuman was acquired from India by myself and taken back to America. Hanuman is silver with a very heavy metal under base. The name of my personal Hanuman is the same, e.g. Hanuman. We also have Nandi murthi.

We have several Shiva portraits sitting in meditation.

My wife and her family are Bengal Shaktas, Devi is the larger family murthi. Her mother has a very large Shiva murthi in meditation.

My wife has many small Ganesh murthis.

Hanuman is my personal companion Deva and family murthi.

Eastern Mind
20 April 2012, 05:32 PM
Vannakkam Brian: Now my curiousity is piqued. What's with the name Brian Baldwin? Hope you don't mind this question.

Aum Namasivaya

ShivaFan
20 April 2012, 06:09 PM
Oh, not to confuse sorry. I am an American of English background, with relatives in India, Canada, Great Britian, Australia. My wife is Bengali and Gururati but on the Mother side of her family the world is 100 percent Bengali. Devil is Kali and Durga as far as that is concerned, and Shiva is very much the family murthi of the mother. This Shiva is very large, about 3 fee and heavy black metals. Shiva is in meditation, but one palm is raised. He is not holding trident, the other hand rest on the thigh of the crossed legs, the eyes are almost closed. However there is a trident placed behind and ready. What I interesting is, I wanted a Ntaraj for my home but they would not allow this due to their family traditions Lord Nataraj is not allowed in personal home and only in a temple which is serviced by High Brahmins. They are of Acharya Brahmin caste. Hanuman has been a personal companion Deva for me since I was a boy, but in truth my first portrait art that I framed when probably 7 years old is Ganapati sitting, holding a small axe and a cudgel with face turned to the right and one palm up and one resting and legs crossed. We also have a print of the Green Valli with Vishnu on Her personal right and Shiva on Her personal left which is a personal companion along with Hanuman murthi, but this is a print on wood and has been with me for probably almost 40 years.

No I am not Desi.

Vaikuntha Bound.
20 April 2012, 07:41 PM
In our home we have a Radha-Krishna shrine, with Lord Ganesha off on the side. I can't really say that we have a proper family deity. I'm a vaishnava and my wife is a very encouraging skeptic.

Our Ganesha murti was one of our first purchases after getting married, despite that neither of us has a particular devotion to Him. We both simply liked it. It turns out that it was simply a preemptive purchase for our daughter, who came along 3 years later, and loves Ganesha. She runs to the Ganesha sannidhi at the Lord Venkateswara temple we go to, and refuses to leave the ISKCON temple in town until we make a small donation at the Ganesha murti and ring the bell.

Her innate tendencies surprise the heck out of me, and in many ways I do my own thing and just encourage my little Ganesha devotee.

ShivaFan
20 April 2012, 07:53 PM
One clarification on any family traditions and Nataraj in the home. I cannot imagine a more beauiful and stunningly more powerful statement of art and living message than the Natraj murthis we are all so familiar with! And as far as traditions go family or otherwise, I know from the superior intellect of the members of this forum that have Lord Nataraj in their home, that they ARE High Brahmin and are blessed to welcome this wonderful murthi into their home! Brahmin is something given and earned, and Mr. Eastern Mind IS Brahmin as far as I am concerned. We see so many examples of this in Puranas - God Bless those who love Lord Nataraj which should be the very symbol of our greatest Universities or it speaks the message and the power and the timelessness and the cycles of our Path as we go even farther into the universe.

Eastern Mind
20 April 2012, 08:35 PM
Vannakkam Brian: Personally, although I know of the 'No Nataraja in the home' deal, I think its a myth perpetrated by some guy named Who Knows? and I simply don't accept it ... obviously. If certain people had their way, no deities would be allowed in homes.

Aum Namasivaya

SriGauranga
05 May 2012, 10:59 AM
TouchedbytheLord

Many people hold that view that Krishna came from something formless like the impersonal Brahman. Many say that impersonal Brahman is the Absolute Truth and Sri Krishna is subordinate. Well, this concept shows lack of knowledge and is refuted by Krishna Himself. We can refer to Bhagavad Gita:

Bhagavad Gita 7.24:
avyaktaḿ vyaktim āpannaḿ
manyante mām abuddhayaḥ
paraḿ bhāvam ajānanto
mamāvyayam anuttamam
Unintelligent men, who do not know Me perfectly, think that I, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Kṛṣṇa, was impersonal before and have now assumed this personality. Due to their small knowledge, they do not know My higher nature, which is imperishable and supreme.

Bhagavad Gita 7.7:
mattah parataram nanyat
kincid asti dhananjaya
mayi sarvam idam protam
sutre mani-gana iva
O conqueror of wealth [Arjuna], there is no Truth superior to Me. Everything rests upon Me, as pearls are strung on a thread.

Taittirīya Upaniṣad [2.5] states:
ātmānandamayaḥ ānanda ātmā brahma pucchaṁ pratiṣṭhā
“The Supreme Lord is full of ecstasy. The impersonal Brahman is His bodily effulgence. He is the source of Brahman.”

Bhagavad Gita 14.27:
brahmaṇo hi pratiṣṭhāham
amṛtasyāvyayasya ca
śāśvatasya ca dharmasya
sukhasyaikāntikasya ca
"And I am the basis of the impersonal Brahman, which is the constitutional position of ultimate happiness, and which is immortal, imperishable and eternal."

Hope this clears the misunderstanding amongst people.
Hari Bol!

madhavpr
26 June 2012, 09:43 AM
Namaste all. :)

My family deity is Lord Shiva in the form of Vaideeswara.. There is an excellent temple for him in a place called Vaideeswaran Koil near Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu. My family never misses a chance to have his glimpse every year. My favorite God is Krishna.. But these days, thanks to the spell that Mahadev has cast on me, I'm leaning towards him and Mata Gauri.. I wish to "know" Shiva and Shakti. :)

Chidambaram Nataraja temple is my personal favorite temple in TN.. There is something about the dancing Shiva that is so attractive and mysterious that it leaves me spellbound. Plus, there is an idol of Lord Vishnu as Govindaraja perumal in the same temple.. I think it's one of those rare temples in TN which has the murthys of both Shiva and Vishnu.