PDA

View Full Version : Guru Aparadha?

Flowing Along
10 January 2012, 11:36 PM
Namaste members

I used to meditate on and off on my own till some time ago.

A year ago,[as I used to do everytime before I sat down for meditation] I sought the blessings of my Guru Sri Shirdi Saibaba mentally before starting my meditation.
I also used to imagine that he sat on a chair before me to guide me-after all it is a" trip" I have no proper real life person to guide me about.
As I was just about to sit on my usual spot on the floor a very strong and intense thought came from no where-that my Guru and I were not different.
This thought was strong but it lasted for a spilt second after which i was a bit shocked.I dont remember thinking this way consciously anytime.

I have not meditated much afterwards.I am a bit hesitant to proceed without good guidance.

I read one could practice bhakthi keeping in mind we are not different from Bhagwan [ if interested in non-dualism]but one cannot think the same about a Guru.

What could this thought mean? It was not during meditation but just before that .Could this be a test ?

sankar
11 January 2012, 01:47 AM
i have heard that at the end of the journey, a student will realize his master is no one but himself. For this devotion is a must. There is a story that a student slaps his master after realizing they were both same. :D

NayaSurya
11 January 2012, 11:39 AM
We have something amazing in common as when I meditate, Beloved Shiva sets directly facing me. One time, after many years...

I was deeply meditating and suddenly, His Beloved Image shifted and I noticed He was holding a large guilded mirror in front of Him.

Then He placed it down and smiled!

Beloved sends hints along the way...just keep going, keep striving.<3

Flowing Along
12 January 2012, 01:02 AM
i have heard that at the end of the journey, a student will realize his master is no one but himself. For this devotion is a must. There is a story that a student slaps his master after realizing they were both same
Namaste Sankar
Thank you for the response.
An ancient Tamil work called Thiruvilaiyaadal puranam [ Siva Lila] outlines this concept-when Siva comes in the guise of a young man and gets beaten up by a clueless person , the whole town feels the pain!
If the student slaps the master he'd feel the sting too I guess.:)
This was a thought/feeling that I didn't think at all.Dont know , I think I'll try to meditate sometime and see what happens.

Namste NayaSurya
Thank you for this line .

Beloved sends hints along the way...just keep going, keep striving
I guess I 'd-When I look at the picture of my Guru he seems amused like how I look when my child seacrhes for me if I hide from him playfully.
Yes, the beloved sends too many hints, many more I now realise I have overlooked in the past , many are still out there .It is like a treasure hunt at times!

shian
12 January 2012, 03:45 AM
My Homage to all peoples who give benefit to all of souls, peace mind and guide sentient beings to the end of sufferings.

Namo Gurubyah !

sankar
12 January 2012, 11:22 PM
Namaste Sankar
Thank you for the response.
An ancient Tamil work called Thiruvilaiyaadal puranam [ Siva Lila] outlines this concept-when Siva comes in the guise of a young man and gets beaten up by a clueless person , the whole town feels the pain!
If the student slaps the master he'd feel the sting too I guess.:)
This was a thought/feeling that I didn't think at all.Dont know , I think I'll try to meditate sometime and see what happens.

Flowing Along,
Your are correct(as per my understanding) Me too dont believe that a student at any sort of realization will feel to hit his master, i think the message the author of the story trying to convey is that, the master and student will become one and same.
I think the story you presented here also contributes to this truth, that whenever master is hurt his students will also get hurt, because they are all one being. Hope there is no contradiction, corrections are welcome :)

Flowing Along
14 January 2012, 02:21 AM
i think the message the author of the story trying to convey is that, the master and student will become one and same.

Yes, May be to drive home a point.
The Siva-Lila story I quoted is a favorite of mine. Siva demonstrates in a dramatic manner a truth that'd be very hard to grasp otherwise.
The sudden , intense thought/idea when I was wide awake scared me at first [as I wasn't thinking that way at all anytime].

JaiMaaDurga
14 January 2012, 06:46 AM
Namaste,

What I find of interest is the nature of the thought (Guru and I are not different) versus the described context of the thought's occurrence (came from nowhere, This was a thought I didn't think/feel at all)...

When one is listening to one's own thoughts- who is thinking? Who is listening?

JAI MATA DI

Flowing Along
15 January 2012, 05:05 AM
Namaste Shian
I join in too in the salutations to the Guru.

Namaste JaiMaDurga

When one is listening to one's own thoughts- who is thinking? Who is listening?

Each response brings a new angle-yours brought the question that crops up in me these days about who I am-never botheerd about that until recently.

In fact had the good fortune of listening to a talk someone once gave on Sri Ramana Maharishi's teachings years ago.
A series of dreams that shook up my sense of identity helped along too.
Another thing is a great sense of fear takes hold in me whenever I ponder thsi question and i abruptly stop it and turn myself towards easier, familiar things.