PDA

View Full Version : Temple disruptionsm, cellphones

Eastern Mind
13 January 2012, 12:09 PM
Vannakkam: I just wanted to relate a story of how 'low' its become. I make a point to visit our temple once a week during a very quiet time. I enjoy the peace and quiet, and usually sit in front of the Siva shrine, do a couple of rounds of japa, just stare at Siva, or meditate on the formless form of the lingam.

So the other day I'm there, and another devotee, whom I've seen but don't know comes in to do his 3 pradakshinas. He's sitting more or less in front of me, out of the line of sight between the shrine and me. Then his cell phone goes off. He picks it up, and starts gabbing away to his wife. I'm more or less aghast, but I finish that round of japa. I can't really decide if I should say anything or not. But eventually I do, "Excuse me, Sir, but could you take that somewhere else?" So he does, but he just goes a bit further along, and then continues his conversation, and I can still here him yapping away. Eventually he ends the conversation and finishes his pradakshinas and exits, I guess. But he does give me the stare, "Who the ____ are you to be telling me what to do?"

Now, the temple has fairly obvious signs at the entrance to turn off all cell phones and remain silent. And I'm not invisible. I found the whole episode just incredibly rude. My karma, no doubt, but still ....

Have we gone so low that a cell phone is more important than worship, or another man's right to worship in peace?

BTW, I don't own a cell phone.

Thoughts?

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
13 January 2012, 12:40 PM
On my father's deathbed my phone went off...the ring tone is snoop dogg Gangsta Love. My father, was scared nearly out of his bed.

I was so disturbed...so beyond thought I was simply trying to get there to this moment and had forgotten even what the sound was.

The call was Beloved Ron, and he was having a problem with the children he had been left to watch over while their parents were at the facility. I had to take the call. Only for a moment, but I did.

As parents, we are on call 24/7 and this is unfortunate he treat you this way...as deeply one should apologize for disturbing another this way.

I sang to my father, country music...which he loves. So to pay my debt back to him...and also put phone upon vibrate.

Because I do not carry cell phone but only in emergency such as this, it took a long time to figure that out!:p

I do not think the phonecall was as bad as his behaviour. Sometimes...we have our head so far up our caboose, we do not think of others...and it shows.

Jainarayan
13 January 2012, 12:52 PM
1. Ring tone off.
2. Vibrate on.

I welcome the opportunity to leave the phone in the truck or to turn it off.

Eastern Mind
13 January 2012, 01:14 PM
1. Ring tone off.
2. Vibrate on.

Vannakkam: That just make sense. All of them have call back features, I think. it would have taken this man about 20 seconds to get out of the temple and into the basement.

Coincidentally, there was a news story last night about the same thing happening at a symphony concert. Conductor stopped the orchestra, and called out to the audience to turn it off. Then it happened again after they resumed playing. So conductor stopped again, and asked the theatre to remove the offender. Then he stubbornly but effectively waited for an hour before the rude one fessed up. They should ban the guy for life.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
13 January 2012, 01:52 PM
Namaste EM

Vannakkam: That just make sense.

That's why no one does it! :p

charitra
13 January 2012, 02:05 PM
Hindus even test their god in many ways. we have our own share of numbskuls, dont we. Cell phone is a necessary evil, the guy must have moved out of mandir to take the call.

NayaSurya
13 January 2012, 04:33 PM
I want a dirt covered stone floor...I want smokey lamps...and the heat.

If I am lucky enough to get home to India. I will spray myself dark and dye my hair black blue...and then upon the floor I will be nothing....and not one will see, as I will become one with that dust.

They will have to pull me from the place.:p

Eastern Mind
13 January 2012, 05:25 PM
deleted ... doubled

Eastern Mind
13 January 2012, 05:26 PM
I want a dirt covered stone floor...I want smokey lamps...and the heat.

If I am lucky enough to get home to India. I will spray myself dark and dye my hair black blue...and then upon the floor I will be nothing....and not one will see, as I will become one with that dust.

They will have to pull me from the place.:p

Vannakkam: Just go to Palani or Tirupati first and shave your head. Keep it shaved and covered in sandalwood the whole trip, and not a single person will bother you. I'm 58, you're 40. Your youngest are 7 or 8? Fifteen more years, they'll be 22, 23, and some of the others will be off and away and independent. You'll be 55. I'll be a hobbling bent over 73. Ron can pull you along so you don't melt into the stone, and Ganga can wheel me along in my wheelchair. December and January of 2026-27. Is it a deal? One car between the four of us ... it'll be cheaper.
:)
Any one else up for it? Maybe the car can be a bus!

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
13 January 2012, 05:30 PM
Funny you should say this, I told Beloved Ron that I was going to cut my hair off and give it to Beloved Ganga upon our first meeting.

It's a deal, if we live this long..it's a deal. If not, please go and I will join you at Her Beloved Shore.

You will know if you see a strange birdy that I kept that promise<3

Believer
13 January 2012, 05:49 PM
Namaste,

Whoever said, "You want to make God laugh? Go ahead make some plans!", did know what he was talking about. :)

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
13 January 2012, 07:37 PM
Namaste,

Whoever said, "You want to make God laugh? Go ahead make some plans!", did know what he was talking about. :)

Pranam.

Vannakkam: God can laugh? Gee, and I thought you'd be the first to sign up. :) Then again, you'd probably just push me in and observe whether or not I floated.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
13 January 2012, 08:02 PM
Namaste,

I would love to accompany all of you for pilgrimage.
But in 2026-2027?
I might not be around that long. :)
At least not in my current frame!

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
13 January 2012, 08:07 PM
Namaste,

But in 2026-2027?

Pranam.

Vannakkam: We'll have to go by some hill in Kentucky and kidnap her earlier then.

My frame will be steel one with wheels. We can race down the ghats together. See who can flip the furthest out into Ganga. Surely some benevolent sadhu will come by and pull each of us out.

Aum

Flowing Along
14 January 2012, 02:35 AM
Namaste
One can never get used to these disruptions .But the funny thing is somehow people manage to have an one-to one talk with the mysterious friend who may look like a stone image to some.

Leave alone mobile phones, people find time to chat with each other in temples.I have heard temples in Kerala are better managed.

Movie shooting crews have a free run thanks to Governments that take a pittance from them as rent .

In India big temples are social meeting places as well and with people thronging there at times ,dressed in new clothes, jewels,etc. it may be difficult to concentrate.

It must be particularly hard for young men who have to gurad their eyes and mind from nicely dressed young ladies.

Jainarayan
14 January 2012, 07:05 AM
Namaste.

Namaste,

Pranam.

I will never learn not to announce what I plan to do. Every time I say what my plans are, they go awry. I say "No, I'm not staying at X's house until 10 pm". What time do I leave? 11! :rolleyes:

Jainarayan
14 January 2012, 07:08 AM
Namaste,

But in 2026-2027?

Pranam.

Make no plans until Dec. 22, 2012 (no, I don't believe the silly hype... though the joke could be on me :p). But April 2029 is iffy... very close pass by asteroid Apophis.

NayaSurya
17 January 2012, 04:01 PM
Vannakkam: We'll have to go by some hill in Kentucky and kidnap her earlier then.

My frame will be steel one with wheels. We can race down the ghats together. See who can flip the furthest out into Ganga. Surely some benevolent sadhu will come by and pull each of us out.

Aum

I am available anytime, anyplace for you all.

Beloved Everything.<3

Sometimes at night when the situation arises, I wonder if I could be granted enough time. So by all means, set the date.<3

Arjuni
17 January 2012, 04:41 PM
Namasté,

I'm in. Someone has to be there to pull you people out, in case there's a lack of benevolent sādhus nearby. :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.