PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Bindi/Sindoor and Appropriation

flowerchild
30 January 2012, 08:06 PM
Hello! I've been reading through this forum and I'm delighted with all the wonderful people and information here! Thank you for having me.

My question was this - As a married woman, I want to start wearing sindoor daily, to bless my husband and my marriage. However, being white, I wonder if this (as well as a bindi - I'm not planning on wearing this daily as well, but I figured it fell within the question) would offend an Indian Hindu? I don't want to be accused of cultural appropriation, or pretending to be Indian - I just want to honor my marriage with the blessing that comes with wearing the sindoor.

Also, I wondered if anyone knew where I could buy sindoor in the US? I would rather not buy it online if I can help it - I'm not comfortable shopping online.

Thank you all so much!

Namaste.

Arjuni
07 February 2012, 02:49 PM
Namasté, flowerchild,

Hello and welcome, and I hope that you continue to be inspired and pleased with the information you find here.

I live in a Canadian city with a large and vibrant Indian population. For the last two years I've worn bindi or tilaka every day, and the reaction has always been good. I've even received compliments on how pretty it looks. I was also married for a brief time and wore sindoor then, and again, those who commented about it were positive; they were pleased to see traditions understood and upheld. No-one has ever accused me of cultural appropriation, or questioned me in anger or offense.

It helps to remember the sanctity of the ornamentation, both as you apply it and while you wear it. If you dress simply and modestly, behave sincerely and respectfully, and are kind and patient with questions, it goes a long way to showing a knowledgeable devotion rather than a temporary fashion statement.

Regarding where to buy sindoor, many "international" markets, Indian groceries, and the like will carry a small selection of religious items. You may find it marked as sindoor or kumkum. If you're ever in my hometown (*waves to Texas from Louisiana*), you may certainly find it at the International Market in Metairie. And of course, if there is a temple near you, you may go there to worship, apply tilaka, and ask the priest where to get kumkum. :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Eastern Mind
07 February 2012, 03:45 PM
Hello! I've been reading through this forum and I'm delighted with all the wonderful people and information here! Thank you for having me.

My question was this - As a married woman, I want to start wearing sindoor daily, to bless my husband and my marriage. However, being white, I wonder if this (as well as a bindi - I'm not planning on wearing this daily as well, but I figured it fell within the question) would offend an Indian Hindu? I don't want to be accused of cultural appropriation, or pretending to be Indian - I just want to honor my marriage with the blessing that comes with wearing the sindoor.

Also, I wondered if anyone knew where I could buy sindoor in the US? I would rather not buy it online if I can help it - I'm not comfortable shopping online.

Thank you all so much!

Namaste.

Vannakkam: Welcome to this forum. As Indraneela has pointed out, most Indian stores have it over on the side somewhere. I have a white Hindu friend married to an Indian guy from Chennai in Austin who would gladly help you out if you get really stuck.

Difficult to offend unless you're being offensive behaviour wise. OTOH, some people get offended at just about anything. Driving a Japanese car in America is offensive to some. :)

Aum Namasivaya