PDA

View Full Version : Animal abuse in slaughterhouses

sunyata07
02 February 2012, 12:33 PM
Namaste everyone,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2010/oct/07/animal-welfare-abuse-slaughterhouse

This is just a video I thought it was necessary to remind ourselves why we're vegetarians and why we choose not to involve ourselves in the evil that goes on in abbatoirs. It was linked to me by a friend. Frankly, I really didn't want to watch the thing, but I feel sometimes my abstaining from meat becomes more of a habit over a period of time than a proactive choice to refrain from partaking of murder. Meat-eating it can be debated is necessary in some parts of the world. I realise different people are at different stages of spiritual development and I don't believe in forcing my opinion down somebody else's throat. I find it often has quite negative consequences, and subsequently makes the person more adverse to my beliefs in the first place.

But for these clips, there are no words. How can humans be so cruel? We were gifted not only with intelligence and judgement but also the capacity to love and feel mercy for beings who are far less able to defend themselves. To have workers in a slaughterhouse is inevitable, clearly. It's not exactly the most desirable or worthy work, but you can argue someone has to do it. But to take what appears to be in this link brutal and sadistic pleasure in the torture and ending of these creatures' lives must be indicative of some kind of detriment to the soul to be anywhere near these houses of death. Such suffering. I hope dearly these poor souls are reborn into conditions far away from such places.

I wish I didn't have to reintroduce myself back here with such a sad post, but it was a terrible reminder for myself of the asuric tendencies of some people. In a way, I needed to be shocked back into understanding why I'm vegetarian.

Om namah Shivaya

Friend from the West
02 February 2012, 06:04 PM
Hari OM

Namaste Sunyata and others,

So good to see you back with HDF. A nice place to spend time at became nicer.

If someone has to part take in this vocation, why do it in this way? So sad. I think it is good to remember who we are, but also to be reminded every once in awhile what much ignorance of who we are can look like.

Om Shanti

FFTW

Adhvagat
02 February 2012, 07:33 PM
Well, you're gonna kill the damn animals anyway and they're products not beings, so why treat them well?

sunyata07
03 February 2012, 01:09 PM
Namaste Pietro,

I think many people would disagree. Albeit, you have a point - most of these animals are considered good only for one thing. And yet, people who eat meat don't necessarily want to cause animals pain. There's a kind of "stick your head in the sand" attitude a lot of people have towards abbatoirs and what goes on inside them. Some people choose to remain ignorant about these kind of things. Maybe because it helps them sleep better at night.

As for those who genuinely aren't shocked at this kind of thing, like those who work in such places or who knowingly buy meat from these sources... well, I don't know which is worse: the sadistic cruelty you seen in these places or the ignorance of most meat-eaters about what goes on in there.

Om namah Shivaya

Friend from the West
03 February 2012, 09:55 PM
Hari Om

Namaste,

This post, I take very much in light of who we are, who we are part of, portions of the Divine, by whatever name those beloved portions here use. I take this as reminder of just not doing a traditional or habitual thing (being a vegetarian cause that is what we do versus being loving and conscious of who we are). We are vegetarian in the positive, in that we are cognizant of the answer to question, Who Am I?
I also take this post as reminder of who we are in differing levels of ignorance and how much do we share in degrees with those depicted in video? Each one here. How similiar in actions/thoughts, in subtle ways am I to them? For this, the answer is given through Sanatana Dharma, but much to be done (very much understatement). This sharing of video and thoughts is humbling and good Reminder.

Om Shanti

FFTW