PDA

View Full Version : Veggie eats meat: Reflections

Surya Deva
02 February 2012, 11:01 PM
I have been vegetarian for more than 10 years now for ethical and spiritual reasons. I am not fussy though, I do occasionally eat eggs(though it is not my first preference) and jelly, and I don't mind eating food cooked in the same oil as meat or eating something which has meat on it(but removing the meat) so I am not purely consistent with my reasons for being vegetarian, but for the most part I adhere strongly to vegetarianism.I have contemplated becoming a pescitarian(eating fish) Recently, I went to a buffet and there were very few vegetarian options, so I decided I would eat some fish finally. So I chose a few dishes that appeared to have fish in them. Later, I realized one of the dishes actually contained chicken. Rather than spitting it out and making a huge fuss, I decided to eat it anyway just out of curiosity on why I have not been eating this for more than 10 years. It was the strangest feeling ever, I could literally feel how heavy/dense it was and the effect it was having on my body. It was like weighing it down! I was getting a headache. I then decided that now that I have tried chicken, I should try some even more hardcore meat: Sorry to say Beef! I took a small piece of beef and started to nibble on it, and it was disgusting and foul. It felt even more heavier than the chicken and I could not make myself eat it. Never again will I touch meat.

Upon reflection I realized that the Guna theory that meat is a tamasic food, meaning it is heavy, dense, inertia inducing and stupefying was correct. I literally felt the heaviness when I consumed it and how much of a detrimental effect it was having on my mind. It makes sense to me now why vegetarianism and spiritual development go hand in hand in scriptures.

Eastern Mind
03 February 2012, 09:00 AM
I have been vegetarian for more than 10 years now for ethical and spiritual reasons. I am not fussy though, I do occasionally eat eggs(though it is not my first preference) and jelly, and I don't mind eating food cooked in the same oil as meat or eating something which has meat on it(but removing the meat) so I am not purely consistent with my reasons for being vegetarian, but for the most part I adhere strongly to vegetarianism.I have contemplated becoming a pescitarian(eating fish) Recently, I went to a buffet and there were very few vegetarian options, so I decided I would eat some fish finally. So I chose a few dishes that appeared to have fish in them. Later, I realized one of the dishes actually contained chicken. Rather than spitting it out and making a huge fuss, I decided to eat it anyway just out of curiosity on why I have not been eating this for more than 10 years. It was the strangest feeling ever, I could literally feel how heavy/dense it was and the effect it was having on my body. It was like weighing it down! I was getting a headache. I then decided that now that I have tried chicken, I should try some even more hardcore meat: Sorry to say Beef! I took a small piece of beef and started to nibble on it, and it was disgusting and foul. It felt even more heavier than the chicken and I could not make myself eat it. Never again will I touch meat.

Upon reflection I realized that the Guna theory that meat is a tamasic food, meaning it is heavy, dense, inertia inducing and stupefying was correct. I literally felt the heaviness when I consumed it and how much of a detrimental effect it was having on my mind. It makes sense to me now why vegetarianism and spiritual development go hand in hand in scriptures.

Vannakkam: Thanks for sharing this. I've always heard that long time vegetarians get sick when they eat meat, but I never found the desire to check it out experimenting myself. I can remember vomiting up Tofu hot dogs one time though. Just the taste of meat was enough. Being around it even can get to me. I went to a family reunion once where they were turning a pig on a stick. cave man style. I had to go 'hide' in the bushes for awhile. I don't think the carnivores get how disgusting it can be to some of us.

Aum Namasivaya