PDA

View Full Version : Can Pranayama awaken kundalini?

Moonlight
05 February 2012, 11:06 AM
namaste ^_^

i've been reserching for ways to awaken the Self and gain knowledge and I came across Pranayama.

If I use the sexual energy and concentrate on the energy going up to the root of the nose, filling the brain with energy, and then on the exhale going down to the heart. Will that ativate the kundalini?   

Eastern Mind
05 February 2012, 10:07 PM
namaste ^_^

i've been reserching for ways to awaken the Self and gain knowledge and I came across Pranayama.

If I use the sexual energy and concentrate on the energy going up to the root of the nose, filling the brain with energy, and then on the exhale going down to the heart. Will that ativate the kundalini?

Vannakkam Moonlight: I'm certainly no expert, but I do have a question. It might help with any response by me or anyone. Why is is you want to awaken kundalini?

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
05 February 2012, 10:23 PM
Namaste,

If I use the sexual energy and concentrate on the energy going up to the root of the nose, .......... Will that ativate the kundalini?
Dogs can get their sexual energy to the root of their noses without any concentration. ;)
Sorry could not resist. It has been that kind of a day.
Back to the serious discussion.

Pranam.

Moonlight
06 February 2012, 02:28 AM
hi eastern mind ^^

It's not kundalini I'm after but the gnosis/knowledge. I'm guessing that kundalini can also get to that state where knowledge shows up but I might be wrong. I'm after the Self and looking for methords to wake it up inside. The breathing methord feels like i'm still attached to myself cause my focus is on the belly breathing as well as on the breath.

Namaste,

Dogs can get their sexual energy to the root of their noses without any concentration. ;)
Sorry could not resist. It has been that kind of a day.
Back to the serious discussion.

Pranam.

lol

Eastern Mind
06 February 2012, 08:16 AM
hi eastern mind ^^

It's not kundalini I'm after but the gnosis/knowledge. I'm guessing that kundalini can also get to that state where knowledge shows up but I might be wrong. I'm after the Self and looking for methords to wake it up inside. The breathing methord feels like i'm still attached to myself cause my focus is on the belly breathing as well as on the breath.

lol

Vannakkam: It is my understanding (it won't be shared by all) that kundalini rising is a natural occurrence once certain conditions have been satisfied, and it will just happen at that time in a natural way. Trying to force it to happen prior to that could lead to problems.
The pre-conditions (again, only in my view) are things like virtuous living, restraint, and practise of dharma (as its summarized in yamas and niyamas, and elsewhere). Until then there may be temporary risings, but what we want for permanent gain is slow and steady, not sudden. Something like the turtle and the hare analogy. We want to be the turtle.

Aum Namasivaya

Moonlight
06 February 2012, 08:37 AM
I listened to a 2 hour gnostic lecture and they pretty much said the same thing. The speaker was saying how the divine mother (kundalini) will not rise unless her child (us) is out of the way and that we must work on our selfs and our egoistic behavour's ect. But does this also apply to the self-relization? 

Eastern Mind
06 February 2012, 08:47 AM
I listened to a 2 hour gnostic lecture and they pretty much said the same thing. The speaker was saying how the divine mother (kundalini) will not rise unless her child (us) is out of the way and that we must work on our selfs and our egoistic behavour's ect. But does this also apply to the self-relization?

Vannakkam: Self-realisation, as I've been finding out lately, also has different viewpoints. Some people believe it can be done through book reading. I don't.
So again, you may get different views.

With different views, all I can say is that you have to sort them out by asking, "Which makes the most sense to me?" on a more intuitive personal level. That's the self-inquiry process so unique to Hinduism. Same thing for reading various commentaries of texts, practices, which sampradaya to follow, if any, and more.

My understanding of it (Self-realisation) is in a far deeper way. It's when kundalini itself breaks through, or stays in the Sahaswara chakra at the top of the head, and more. So its deeply mystical, and in retrospect, I thing Self was a poor choice of words because it gets so confused with the other self as in myself. the ego. Here is a link to how I understand it. You have to scroll down a bit for the description.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/mws/mws_self_god.html

I hope this is of some use to you. (Just to clarify, I don't really understand it, for that you have to have 'done' it. )

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
06 February 2012, 12:56 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

We know that prāṇa is part of our daily life support. This breathing is called prāṇāna प्राणन- breathing, respiration.

Some also may practice prāṇāyāma - the ultimate extension is perfect balance, the center or mādhya, of breath-and-no-breath.

If you wish to know more of this, this HDF string may be of use:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3911

As a wind drives away smoke and impurities from the atmosphere, prāṇāyām drives away impurities from the body and mind - B.K.S. Iyengar

praṇām

Mana
11 February 2012, 12:29 PM
Namaste,

I have found this video to be inspirational, you may find it also to be of interest.

Gopi Krishna. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ydCsDiNbM)

I have recently acquired a book written by him, I have not yet read it.

I am working on my breathing for singing, my two nostrils now remain clear throughout the day due to well being, with one slightly congesting to allow the other two breath with the proses reversing at regular intervals, how ever when I sing they both close slightly. Any ideas anyone, your thoughts will be appreciated?

I need to find a technique for this, perhaps prAnAyAma will help me.

I have been thinking also of the breathing technique used when playing a wind instrument, for circular breathing. This technique allows the musician to play continuously with out stopping for breath!

I hope you find wisdom in the video, other than that just some random thoughts aired.

praNAma

mana

yajvan
12 February 2012, 02:44 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Some also may practice prāṇāyāma - the ultimate extension is perfect balance, the center or mādhya, of breath-and-no-breath.
When the mantra is perfectly-well recited, the grand multitude of
mantra-s and mudra-s immediately appear before him i.e. they become
favorable to him, the practitioner - parā-trīśikā vivaraṇa, 11th and 12th kārakā ( or verse)

Now one must ask what is the grand multitude of mantra-s and mudra-s ?
For now let's say they're siddha's but we must leave this for the uttara folder as an advanced idea.

But what of this one key phrase , perfecty-well recited ? This is saṃyak¹ uccāra. That is,spontaneous movement of the mantra within
and the union with the breath that leads to realization. It is absorption i.e. smārta¹. constant (innocent) attention on the mantra.

praṇām

words

saṃyak uccāra ( we may also see this as saṃyaṅ)
saṃ+ya+ṅ - together with or undisturbed + joined + ṅ, which intensifies 'ya'.
uccāra - utterance
smārta relating to memory; from smṛ , to recall

Ekoham
12 February 2012, 11:00 PM
namaste ^_^

i've been reserching for ways to awaken the Self and gain knowledge and I came across Pranayama.

Namaste Moonlight,

In simple words, the answer to your question is "Yes", pranayam can awaken Kundalini "but" there is a prerequisite to that "when performed under the able guidence of a Guru".
I hope that satisfies your query.

Pranam

Ekoham

anirvan
12 February 2012, 11:43 PM
[
QUOTE=Mana;78763]Namaste,
my two nostrils now remain clear throughout the day due to well being, with one slightly congesting to allow the other two breath with the proses reversing at regular intervals, how ever when I sing they both close slightly. Any ideas anyone, your thoughts will be appreciated?

Dear Mana,

Namaste.The process of reversing of respiration in alternative nostrils is because the change of flow of prana in Ida and Pingla nadi inside our spinal cord.When its Ida-vahana,it will be left,then pingla vahana,it will be right.each flows for a 1hr. when it flow in susmna,respiration will be in both nostrils.

may be you can learn SWARODYOYA from a advanced yogi and master in the swardyoya to get control on your rhythm and singing.

anirvan
12 February 2012, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=Moonlight;78507]hi eastern mind ^^

It's not kundalini I'm after but the gnosis/knowledge. I'm guessing that kundalini can also get to that state where knowledge shows up.

Dear Moonlight,

Welcome. its great that you are up to the knowledge.To gain indirect self realization knowledge, Kundalini(divine shakti-god mother) has to be united with Siva at Sahasrara(divine father,paramatma).

This can be achieved by any discipline of spiritual fields. whichever path you follow,knowingly or unknowingly Kundalini will elevate and reach the Param-siva/paramatma at Saasrara(top of headd).

Pranayama is one method where we directly and with consciuosly elevating the kundalini to take it to sahasrara.Its a difficult method dreaded with higher risks,even cerebral hemmorhage/stroke and death if performed wrongly.

But other easy and lesser risky methods are there to achieve the same things which anyone should try like LAYA-YOGA.KRIYA-YOGA,MEDITATION BUT THE EASIEST AND ENJOYABLE AND MOST CERTAIN PATH IS ALWAYS BHAKTI MARGA.THE ROYAL HIGH WAY.:)

jayaguru

FutureHumanDestiny
13 February 2012, 11:03 AM
there are different variations of pranayama. the breath retention method, which is rarely known, is the method that purifies the energy body prior to kundalini and (more importantly) it is the method that happens spontaneously once your karma has been released and your mind is pure/clear.

other methods have benefits but ...

i'm speaking from experience, having raised kundalini myself, and now i am trying to teach others. fyi.

...but the other methods don't raise K. they might purify the nadis, help the mind and emotions and more great things. but K is a mystery and an enigma, and she is fickle.

check out my youtube channel's how to series for more.

-dale

Mana
13 February 2012, 11:58 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

When the mantra is perfectly-well recited, the grand multitude of
mantra-s and mudra-s immediately appear before him i.e. they become
favorable to him, the practitioner - pratyabhijñāhṛdayaṁ, 11th and 12th kārakā ( or verse)

Now one must ask what is the grand multitude of mantra-s and mudra-s ?
For now let's say they're siddha's but we must leave this for the uttara folder as an advanced idea.

But what of this one key phrase , perfecty-well recited ? This is saṃyak¹ uccāra. That is,spontaneous movement of the mantra within
and the union with the breath that leads to realization. It is absorption i.e. smārta¹. constant (innocent) attention on the mantra.

praṇām

words

saṃyak uccāra ( we may also see this as saṃyaṅ)
saṃ+ya+ṅ - together with or undisturbed + joined + ṅ, which intensifies 'ya'.
uccāra - utterance
smārta relating to memory; from smṛ , to recall

Namaste yavan,

Thank you kindly for your posting they are, as always, most inspirational indeed!

I am intrigued by the notion of pronunciation as I find that there is a flow and nuance to the words; most importantly the feel of the song dependant upon my immersion within.
I have had the sensation of the displacement of myself from my self within, as I take a small step backwards inside, to observe; as one part of me sings an the other plays the guitar. A bit like being the conductor of two selves instead of just one. (I have also had this happen also in the bank whilst expressing dismay with the bank manager) I actually lost my temper without losing my temper, I shifted back from within my self and was able to both listen and direct my speech from inside in a way I'd never seen or imagined before.
The bank manager did as I requested and apologised profusely, I do not believe that I was rude at all.
My speech was entirely spontaneous, as if coming from karma.
Accessing memory that I didn't know was there.

I am trying to learn to memorise songs in a way which allows me to access them with no mental effort, so as to be able to put all concentration in to the feeling and energy of the piece, as I offer it.

My memory works in a very visual way so I am trying to find ways to improve this; I have heard of a technique, in one of the lectures by Sanjay Rath; it is said that one starts out off by staring into a flame, then at a picture of a favourite Ishta devatastarting from the feet then scanning upwardsand then finally a page of text not reading it but memorising it visually, to pray for the vision to remain as a visual memory in the mind to be read when required or just simply known by heart. I am quite fascinated by this technique and would love to have further instruction.

Thank you dearly,

praNAma

mana

Mana
13 February 2012, 12:11 PM
[

Dear Mana,

Namaste.The process of reversing of respiration in alternative nostrils is because the change of flow of prana in Ida and Pingla nadi inside our spinal cord.When its Ida-vahana,it will be left,then pingla vahana,it will be right.each flows for a 1hr. when it flow in susmna,respiration will be in both nostrils.

may be you can learn SWARODYOYA from a advanced yogi and master in the swardyoya to get control on your rhythm and singing.

Dear anirvan,

Thank you so very much for your thoughts and wise words, it is quite a revelation for me to learn of swardyoya. I was aware of Ida and Pingala and their waxing and waning but I did not know of this science as a deeper practise, I shall most certainly investigate further. It is in my mind to seek a Guru/Teacher to further my knowledge and to help with practise, yet here in the South of France, I know of no such school or master; balancing my life with my spiritual path is proving quite tricky (as it always is), although it does seem to be opening up now along with my airways.
I have an appointment with an Astrologer on Thursday and I await keenly to hear how he would advises that I progress.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and wisdom.

praNAma

mana

yajvan
13 February 2012, 12:34 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Based upon the muni's experience it is taught/observed that by the reduction ( in tuṭi-s¹) of breath that one may enter turīya ( the 4th, or transcendental consciousness) and finally turyātita ( beyond the 4th).
The is quite interesting. One can go from paśu¹ ( bound) to pati (lord) via the breath when properly managed ( see post 8 and 10 above).

We have prāṇa, apāna, samāna, udāna, and vyāna. We experience it as breath but it is more then ~just~ breath. This prāṇa is energy, śakti, vital air or one may say vital vāyu. It is life force.

By means of prāṇa, apāna, samāna one resides within the constraints of paśu; by the use, understanding and mastery of udāna, and vyāna one enters into pati. It is when prāṇa and apāna become balanced that udāna śakti functions. For those familiar with this concept it is udāna śakti becoming active¹ in madhya-dhāma that turīya ( the 4th, or transcendental consciousness) is experienced.
Note I say it is experienced, vs. 'built' or 'developed' as this level of awareness resides within us already. No one need to go purchase it or build it, its part of our nature just as wake, dream and sleep is part of our nature.

Note that we call it turīya because it is next in line after wake (1), dream (2) and sleep (3); turīya is next and is called 4th ( as that is the definition of turīya) derived from catur+ya. Even though it is 4th , it is the substratum the foundation for the other 3 states aforementioned.

Now when the this transcendental state is part of one's everyday experience ( 7x24x365) one completely associates with turīya as one's normal state of being; This is the awakening. One is inward facing. This is Self-awareness at all times; one's Self is never lost. We now call it turyātita ( beyond the 4th) because one's association is anchored in this 4th level and the other levels are of little concern, they just pass as one's full interest resides in the 4th. This is all possible with the proper management of breath.

This wisdom is not of my authorship and can be found in patañjali’s yogadarśana, kṣemarāja's pratyabhijñāhṛdayaṁ¹, parā-trīśikā vivaraṇa, etc. My only hope is that I communicate it succinctly and without a blemish. For those with a burning desire to know will seek this knowledge out.

praṇām

words

tuṭi - small cardamom - i.e. a way of measuring the length of the breath; it is considered 16 tuṭi = 1 round of breath;
some measure in dvādaśānta ( 12 fingers)
paśu - any tethered animal; we are considered this by the wise, as we are tethered to the senses and unaware of the Self.
pati - a master , owner , possessor , lord
udāna śakti becoming active - I found this to be true from personal experience
pratyabhijñāhṛdayaṁ is a condensed summary ( done in 20 śloka-s with commentary)
of utpalācārya's īśvarapratyabhijñāhṛdayā

Mana
13 February 2012, 02:48 PM
Namaste yajvan,

Thank you so much for your wisdom, the new words and concepts are soaking in slowly; I am absorbing still the wonder that is kashmir Shaivism. I find that this language takes some time to grasp fully, it certainly serves to help one to remember. That which is so rarely spoken of. In many ways knowing the names of these states helps to maintain the thought and knowledge of them.

Thank you.

praNAma

mana

anirvan
14 February 2012, 01:47 AM
[QUOTE]It is when [/SIZE][/FONT]prāṇa and apāna become balanced that udāna śakti functions. For those familiar with this concept it is udāna śakti becoming active¹ in madhya-dhāma that turīya ( the 4th, or transcendental consciousness) is experienced.

Yajvan ji,Namaste,

I couldn"t understand the role of Udan and vyana to achieve turiya state. I think by doing Kumbhaka,with the help of samana ,one forcefully enter the prana vayu into susumna and subsequently brahma randhra then it will ascend to sahasrara chakra and attain samadhi.

We now call it turyātita ( beyond the 4th) because one's association is anchored [/SIZE][/FONT]in this 4th level and the other levels are of little concern, they just pass as one's full interest resides in the 4th. This is all possible with the proper management of breath.

Turiyatita is the state of transcendental love/ecstasy which is a state above turiya state which is nirguna/niripadhika.

saswathy
12 May 2014, 09:52 AM
Dear friends ,
When pranayama is done with a mantra , the sadhaka is under the protection of his ishtadevatha . Here sincerty and trust are more important . Bhakthi meas overflowing love . Where Bhakthi is present , there , trust automatically follows . Now , when pranayama is done , first physical impurities are removed from the body , by means of fever or coughs or colds or fevers . Then mental impurities are removed .Usually people think , that sadhana has to started only after mental purification . There is no such rule . Sadhana with pranayama with utmost trust on the Ishtadevatha it self purifies the inner psyche .When once Anthar shuddhi takes place Kundalini raises automatically . Where Kundalini raises with out the shuddhi and where the system is not ready for various reasons , a crisis takes place , where the sadhaka has to face many dangers .

saswathy
14 May 2014, 10:21 PM
Dear friends
Sadhana normally starts with initiation in to a manthra by a siddhaguru . But if we don't come across a real guru , we can take recourse in to pranavam ---that is' OM. Doing ' OM' is nirgunopasana where as other manthropasanas are sagunopasanas .
rgds , saswathy.

sagunopasana = Idol worship