PDA

View Full Version : What did you just eat?

Eastern Mind
07 February 2012, 02:09 PM
Vannakkam:

Maybe this will help in a practical way for vegetarians or those trying to become vegetarians.

Lunch: I nuked a bit of rice and tomato curry I made yesterday. Then my daughter and I each made separate bowl sized salads ... spinach, tomato, raw cauliflower, canned black olives, cucumber, and then a dressing of some sort from the fridge. Too easy, but it worked.

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
07 February 2012, 02:25 PM
Namasté,

Excellent idea, EM!

I'm not much of an inspiration on this front today; have you ever purchased a salad dressing that didn't "match" the salad you were eating?

I just had a simple salad of mixed baby greens and shredded cheese, topped with Whole Foods' "Sesame Goddess" dressing. The bitter greens and sweet-ish cheddar did not mesh at all with the vinegar/sesame bite of the dressing. I ate it, but with more endurance than enjoyment, unfortunately.

This is what I get for not following my usual Pūrnīmā fast. :p

However, breakfast this morning was a Fuji apple with fresh-ground peanut butter, and snack was a spoonful of peanut butter and a dill pickle spear. And tomorrow will bring local strawberries with Creole cream cheese. YUM.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Eastern Mind
07 February 2012, 02:33 PM
Namasté,

Excellent idea, EM!

I'm not much of an inspiration on this front today; have you ever purchased a salad dressing that didn't "match" the salad you were eating?

Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Vannakkam: I wouldn't know. I just eat anything. Mix and match whatever, and I'm fine. Rice and curry, then a dill pickle, then an apple. Then go out for chocolate ice cream. It's like going to a potluck and being blindfolded around here. :)

Aunm Namasivaya

c.smith
07 February 2012, 02:38 PM
Hari Om!

Today is an easy day for me. Fast for Lord Hanuman until sundown, then a simple Poha for dinner. I don't use the onion that the recipe calls for but hing instead, just a pinch does the trick.

http://indianfood.about.com/od/sidesandsalads/r/poha.htm

Jai Hanuman!

NayaSurya
07 February 2012, 06:40 PM
Home made Spanish Rice!

With vegetarian beans covered with hispanic asagio cheeses, chives with sourcream and large flour tortillas.

Then we get some flour tortillas....fresh provolone cheese....

Take two tortillas, place the cheese between and then grill or fry with a tiny bit of veggie oil. Quesadillas!

Garnished with fresh lime wedges and diced grape tomatoes.

One of the best meals ever<3

Eastern Mind
07 February 2012, 07:15 PM
Take two tortillas, place the cheese between and then grill or fry with a tiny bit of veggie oil. Quesadillas!

Vannakkam: We used to do that. But when I discovered gluten sensitivity, well, at least with the wheat ones, it changed. Can't get really good corn tortillas here.

Tonight ... beet curry from frozen beets from last year's garden, mung dal with cauliflower, Thai red rice, plain curd, and half a tomato ... we usually have curry like this about 3 times a week.

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
07 February 2012, 07:29 PM
Namasté,

I want to eat with you people! Then again, food's nothing to complain about here; I'm back in New Orleans for the next three weeks and just finished a dinner of red beans and rice. :D

(Little family story with the meal: I'm staying with my parents during this trip. They had portions of meat for themselves and, simply out of hospitality, my dad offered me a piece. My mom jumped in, "No, hon, she'll go to hell or something if she eats that!" Bless them, they try to understand!)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Friend from the West
07 February 2012, 07:42 PM
Hari Om

Namaste,

Good gosh, Indraneela's had me rolling and thinking. Before dad passed over, my sister and family were up from Florida. Sorry for this, they brought dolphin up with them. My dad used to think I was offending mom for my eating habits and would voice this. This is what I knew from him on this subject.

My niece, young at the time, had a fork and sung the flipper t.v. show theme song as she put fork towards me. My dad said, Quit that, he doesn't want to hurt it!

Bless them indeed. Thank you for this.

Om Shanti

FFTW

Sahasranama
07 February 2012, 07:45 PM
I had some fried rice with soy sauce and veggies with bananas dipped in batter and then fried (this is a different type of banana used for cooking). Later I had a quark smoothie with frozen blueberries, raspberries and some protein powder and ground flaxseeds.

I have bough some ingredients at the organic health food store to make pizza for tomorrow. I heard from Pietro that it will help with kundalini movement. :D

*Whole wheat crust
*Tomato sauce
*Pesto
*Kalamata olives
*vegetarian (rennet free) feta cheese
*vegetarian (rennet free) mozarella cheese
+I'll add some brocolli or grilled eggplant to it

Ramakrishna
07 February 2012, 08:54 PM
Namaste,

Being at college presents a unique challenge, although there are a fair amount of vegetarian options around.

For breakfast I had some oatmeal and fruit. For lunch I had a simple salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, carrots, and chick peas and Italian dressing as well as some steamed vegetables. For dinner I had a veggie sub from Subway. I have also been trying to get more fruits into my diet and have been eating them throughout the day.

I can't wait until I go home and have some of my mother's roti and aloo gobi :)

Jai Sri Ram

satay
07 February 2012, 09:08 PM
namaste,
for lunch, homemade wrap (with spinach leaves, a bit of cheese, onion and hot sauce) and carrots.
for dinner, red beans and rice.
snacks - chips, tea

c.smith
08 February 2012, 02:19 PM
Hari Om!

Breakfast was a banana as prasadam from the temple. Jai Hanuman!

Lunch was chick peas with a cilantro dressings and chapati.

Dinner willl be one of my favorites - kichari!

anirvan
09 February 2012, 01:28 AM
[
QUOTE=Sahasranama;78608]I
I have bough some ingredients at the organic health food store to make pizza for tomorrow. I heard from Pietro that it will help with kundalini movement. :D

But you forgot to mention the direction of movements of the kundalini ?:p

Ask pietro where is his kundalini moving now,up/down/side wise :)

anirvan
09 February 2012, 01:43 AM
My stuff is purely desi Indian...

Morning its SUJI-OAT-VEGGIE UPMA=(lots of green peas,carrot,cauliflower,beans,peanuts,cashew,tamato sometimes mixed with cream) . Believe me its very simple,less time taking and healthy-yummy.

Launch-roti-dal-rice-veggies(mixed)-salads

Dinner- some mix khichri-rice-DAL-VEGGIES with salads,milk

My fav salad- cucumber-carrot-tamato-lettuce-chinese cabbage all chopped into small pieces,mixed with fresh curd, seasoned with fine shreded coconut,salt and coriander leaves.

Arjuni
09 February 2012, 03:26 PM
Namasté,

I went out shopping today, reveling in non-freezing weather and long-missed tastes...

Breakfast was a small brown butter and pecan gelato - not overly healthy, but there was a globby, delicious butter ribbon through the whole scoop, so I thought of Kṛṣṇa while eating it.

Lunch was okra and tomatoes, mustard greens, and spicy bok choy salad with a yogurt drink.

Not sure yet what dinner will be, but I know an avocado is involved...

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Sahasranama
09 February 2012, 03:33 PM
My mother made quinoa with a sidedish of chickpeas/veggies with an Indian spicemix.

Sahasranama
11 February 2012, 02:56 AM
Yesterday, I had some belgian fries in Amsterdam.

Today, I am eating khichari made of brown basmati rice and blackeyed peas, with karela and masuri dahl.

Eastern Mind
11 February 2012, 09:55 AM
Vannakkam: Last night ... baked yams, baked Firm Tofu with a bit of soaked into it for flavour, sauteed kale and cauliflower, curd and nuts

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
11 February 2012, 04:45 PM
Namaste,

Who would like to share a smoothie with me? Blueberries, strawberries, a slice of mango and some yogurt, all going into my 'Magic Bullet'. For the sugar hounds, I can add a dash of honey?

Pranam.

Arjuni
11 February 2012, 05:09 PM
Namasté,

Believer, count me in! Smoothies are yummy, and I could use some fruit to offset the fake "sausage" biscuit I just made. And, erm, the slice of king cake, too.

In the meantime, I'll go work off the cake sugar with some doggie playtime. (She's outside posing for the Miserable Dogs That Nobody Plays Ball With, Ever calendar of 2013. :p )

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

c.smith
11 February 2012, 05:49 PM
Hari Om!

Sounds like we need to have a good old fashioned satsang followed by prasad - you bring this, I'll bring that sort of thing. Great sounding food and nutritious too. Glad that y'all eat so well. A clean inside helps create a clean mind.

Tonight butter masala with vegetarian protein nuggets is on the stove just about to completion but I need some chapatis. Anyone coming this way for dinner? I have plenty to share and am a good (so I'm told) cook.

Sahasranama
11 February 2012, 06:17 PM
Right now I am making a homemade whole wheat tortilla wrap with guacamole, salsa and veggies.

Believer
11 February 2012, 06:44 PM
Namaste,

I'll go work off the cake sugar with some doggie playtime. (She's outside posing for the Miserable Dogs That Nobody Plays Ball With, Ever calendar of 2013. :p )
I had to pose many times for the 'Miserable Dog Owner Nobody Plays The Ball With' calender. In the days gone by, I would go to the backyard and throw the ball, hoping for the dog to fetch it. After fetching it a couple of times, he would stand around and have the attitude like, you threw it, so you go get it. Dumb animal.

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
11 February 2012, 07:28 PM
Dumb animal.

Vannakkam: Which one?

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
11 February 2012, 09:04 PM
Namaste,

Vannakkam: Which one?
Good one. ;)

Pranam.

satay
12 February 2012, 06:16 PM
namaste,
tonight's dinner pasta with tomato sauce. Earlier had samosas with tea.

Believer
13 February 2012, 01:11 PM
Namaste,

Small, round eggplants, spiced and sauteed to perfection ( a simpler version of http://indianfood.about.com/od/vegetarianrecipes/r/bharvaanbaingan.htm ), some raita and a 100&#37; whole wheat toast. I think I need a nap after that. So, don't disturb me unless there is a national emergency. :)

Pranam.

Arjuni
13 February 2012, 01:32 PM
Namasté,

That sounds delicious; Believer, thank you for including the recipe.

Fasting over here, which I'm going to try to continue until performing homa tomorrow. If I get too loopy, though, there are butter beans and the last of the fake soy sausage to cook up. (There's a brand in the States called "Gimme Lean" which isn't available in Canada. It's quite versatile and tasty.)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Ramakrishna
13 February 2012, 08:03 PM
Namaste,

Indeed, great sounding and healthy food from everybody.

I had a black bean burger and a salad for lunch and some black-eyed peas and rice for dinner.

I haven't had dal in a long time, I'll probably make some later this week.

Jai Sri Ram

c.smith
14 February 2012, 11:29 AM
Hari Om!

This morning had a vegan spelt flax seed muffin from Whole Food Market.

Lunch - banana.

Dinner will be pizza followed by Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting that I'm in the process of making. http://www.food.com/recipe/red-velvet-cupcakes-with-cream-cheese-frosting-vegan-412578

Not a vegan as today's food might suggest, just happens to be what sounded good.

Believer
22 February 2012, 03:27 PM
Namaste,

Green Spinach leaves, avocado slices and some grated Mozzarella cheese (made from partially skimmed milk), all rolled into a 100&#37; whole wheat tortilla made for a nutritious lunch. It was topped off with a cup of home made tomato soup - nuke a small (or half of a big) tomato with a little water in a cup for 1.5 - 2 minutes, fish out the skin (which should have separated) with a spoon, try to smash the tomato in the cup into pulp (or cut into little pieces) with a spoon or a knife, add water to fill the cup and nuke again for a minute or so to bring it to a boil. Add salt and black ground peppers to taste.

Pranam.

PS. The wrap contents may be augmented with chopped tomatoes/cucumbers. People with heart problems like to add a little chopped raw garlic too.

c.smith
22 February 2012, 05:57 PM
Hari Om!

Breakfast: Mango Lassi
Lunch: Banana given as prasadam
Dinner: Homemade Sambar. Also tried to make Kaju Katli without success. Anyone ever made the stuff? Mine would never get beyond the soft stage. Still had fantastic flavor but was embarrassed to serve it as Kaju Katli "Soup".

PARAM
23 February 2012, 03:53 AM
Roti the form of Indian bred with palak paneer form of saag including dal and ghee.

Ramakrishna
08 June 2012, 11:55 PM
Namaste,

I had a wonderful dinner consisting of brown rice, dal (yellow split peas), sauteed kale, tomato choka, and masala tofu.

Jai Sri Ram

Sadhaka
05 February 2017, 03:27 PM
I had a very yummy risotto with oregano, funghi and a Bit of saffron ( the fake one )