PDA

View Full Version : What is money?

Eastern Mind
07 February 2012, 04:21 PM
Vannakkam: I think society in general has a poor handle on money. They think it actually is something, like a house, or a stone, or a person. Basic economics shows that it is a tool, at least historically that's how it started ... as a method to simplify barter.

How does a Hindu perspective help us out to deal with this 'stuff' that really isn't stuff at all. Certainly it is a force to be reckoned with.

For starters, when I'm in the right mood, I don't see it as my money at all. Ownership, if there really is any, is God's. For some strange reason, He has allowed this particular embodied jiva to control a portion of it ... for dharma, and dharmic purposes.

Thoughts?

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
08 February 2012, 12:44 PM
Vannakkam: Often people (myself included) don't see money as a flow. I remember some urinal (Yes, an old guy standing at a urinal in a bar, who spoke to me.:)) wisdom. "Just like money ... pour it in, pour it out."

Most often we are so concerned about the input, we forget about the output. Then you go around wondering why you're not making enough money. Well, let's see... $100 + a week or more on dining out, $80 to support my nicotine habit, $100 + or so a week for booze. Once a week night at the movies, $50 +, $10 000 + more car than I actually need ... $200 a month extra in car payments, $40 a week on junk food or quick-lunch food, poor grocery habits, $50 a week on clothing I don't really need... Well, let's see, that's $2360 a month more that I need to be spending ... hmmm ... so I guess I need to get me a better paying job. :)

Aum Namasivaya

josh
08 February 2012, 01:38 PM
Money is needed for survival.

c.smith
08 February 2012, 02:23 PM
Hari Om!

Although in times of stress this will vary, I like to think the following: I am not the mind, I am not this body, I am not these thoughts and extend it to I am not the things I have (including money). Everything belongs to the Lord.

Om Namah Sivaya
Jai Hanuman!

Kismet
08 February 2012, 10:22 PM
I heard from a certain guru (I will not say which) who stated that money is itself a divine emanation from Sri or Laxmi the divine mother of wealth and prosperity.
It is human beings who abuse and misuse their wealth, not God.

Eastern Mind
09 February 2012, 08:25 AM
I heard from a certain guru (I will not say which) who stated that money is itself a divine emanation from Sri or Laxmi the divine mother of wealth and prosperity.
It is human beings who abuse and misuse their wealth, not God.

Vannakkm Kismet ... Well, from one perspective, it's all God. But I think it's a misunderstanding when people pray to Lakshmi with just one intent ... asking for more of the stuff. In fact, I don't think God answers these kinds of prayers, unless the money will be put to a higher use. But certainly survival is one of them.

Certainly humans (less intelligent souls embodied in flesh) can misuse money. :)

Aum Namasivaya

AmIHindu
09 February 2012, 12:24 PM
Namaste,

I would like to say, money and Laxmi are not the same. Money is just a means to do some transactions. Where is Laxmi is spiritual concept. But many people do not make difference in money and Laxmi.

Take a scissors and cut $100 bill in 10 pieces, now no one will accept it. Whereas Laxmi, when if any woman gives birth to a baby girl, we say Laxmi came to your home. when someone gets marry, we say Laxmi came. So in Hinduism, Laxmi means, woman (Mother, Sister, Daughter, wife).

Now, what about Gold ! I guess Gold also has spiritual importance in Hinduism.

Mana
10 February 2012, 11:58 AM
Namaste All,

Money to my mind is a form of potential energy, rather like electricity, but created by man as a tool. The use of this tool demands close regulation, much like weapons.

The pen is mightier than the sword, might it be that mathematics is the mightiest language? Money is a physical manifestation of that language, derived from things esteemed to be of great worth; Gold, Silver, Gems, Human toil and blood.

This film is a must see. (http://vimeo.com/25491676)

Wealth is a gift from Laxmi which may sometimes be interchangable with money.
Their must be an infinite differance between praying to Laxmi and praying for money; Money destroys many people, becoming a tool of enslavement.

Laxmi blesses with gifts to uplift mankind.

praNAma

mana

Jainarayan
10 February 2012, 12:19 PM
Namaste all.

Money is a necessity in the world today, unfortunately. I don't see it as good or bad, the only good or bad is what is done with it.

Because I am a little down right now, I will be completely honest and say I am in a very bad financial position. It's of my own doing. I think that because I know that, Maa Lakshmi and Sri Ganesha help me get through.

Are They going to shower me with 50s and 100s? Of course not. Do I expect that, or want it or pray for it? Of course not. All I want is to keep remembering the lesson and pray to get by day-to-day. And I believe They answer that prayer with health, a roof, food, and other material and spiritual benefits. That's wealth.

Mana
10 February 2012, 12:28 PM
Namaste TBTL,

Sorry to hear that; yes money is necessary, it is a fantastic tool. It is just that it must be understood. If it is not understood we are allowing a form of enslavement. Nothing more than cheep parlour tricks, no greater than slight of hand. Essentially gambling.

I hope that Maa Lakshmi blesses you with the inspiration to write and play 1000 songs :) That to my mind is true wealth.

praNAma

mana

Seeker123
10 February 2012, 12:51 PM
If you are in Grihastashrama you have to make money. If you in Sanyashrama you should not think where your next meal comes from.

Jainarayan
10 February 2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks Mana. :)

My mother used to say "old too soon, smart too late". Well, maybe I've gotten smart by the time it really was too late!

Btw, I have been learning much more. I figured out the chords to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0s0anVD104 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNyMnTHi9mM (not that they're all that difficult).

I have the lyrics to Hey Ram, now if only I could find the lyrics to Hey Maa. They're very soothing, rhythmic and mesmerizing to play along with. Wealth is not only measured in dollars and cents, or rupees. ;)