PDA

View Full Version : What will you do on coming ShivarAtri ?

devotee
15 February 2012, 06:33 PM
Namaste friends,

ShivarAtri is here on 20th February. It will be interesting to know what everyone of us is going to do on that day.

So, what are you planning to do on coming ShivarAtri ?

OM

AmIHindu
16 February 2012, 12:08 PM
Namaste,

With the grace of GOD, I would like to do Mantra Jap. I like to recite Shivsahsranmam and evening time will go to temple for milk abhishek. This 24 hours are very good for spiritual groth. So will collect spirituality as much as I can but need help of GOD also to put this plan in implementation.

Jainarayan
16 February 2012, 02:17 PM
I am not a devotee of Lord Shiva, though I pray to Him, believing what is written in Brahma samhita 5:45 Shivararti (http://www.hknet.org.nz/parishad88.htm#HBV) (link to the analogy of milk to yogurt). I am going to fast as I do for Ekadasi, just some milk and fruits.

I found this interesting, which made my decision for me to fast and pray to Lord Shiva on Shivaratri: Shivararti (http://www.hknet.org.nz/parishad88.htm) (link to the full article)

NOTE: the Vaishnava/ aspiring Vaishnava however, worships Lord Shiva on this day in order to receive His blessings to become a better devotee of Lord Krishna (Vishnu) and not to attain residence in the abode of Shiva.

Baobobtree
16 February 2012, 04:54 PM
Namaste all.

Unfortunately I must work on this auspicous day, and my job requires heavy lifting, and a lot of running around, so I'm afriad I can not observe the fast in full. Hopefully eating small simple vegetarian meals, will produce some benefit to me analogous to the benefit one achieves from fasting. I will definitely be doing mantra jaap, and some meditating later in the evening.

Om Namah Shivaya

Divine Kala
18 February 2012, 04:37 AM
Namaste

I have been very sick recently so I do not think I will be able to attend the service or the vigil which is a huge let down for me. They were things I was greatly looking forward to even if I generally have no idea of what's going on during the service.

I will definitely not be allowed to fast on the day, like I was planning, It's all very saddening.

devotee
18 February 2012, 05:47 AM
Namaste AmIHindu, TBTL and Baobob,

Good to know of your plans ! I was planning of going to Baba VishvanAth temple for abhishekam. However, there is news that administration is expecting some 250,000 devotees in the temple that day from all over India (may be from abroad too).

So, my ShivarAtri will be at home by abhishekam of the Shivalinga, japa and bhajans.

Dear DK, I am sorry to learn that you were not well. I hope you recover fast. :)

OM

Eastern Mind
18 February 2012, 07:37 AM
Vannakkam all: My wife and I make decisions rather spontaneously, and often independently, so we are taking both cars to temple, so that if either of us wants to stay beyond about 9, we could without the hassle of coming home, and returning. I just know that sometimes the best plans run aground.

The main puja is at 7, and then 12, 3 , and 6th. it is the 30th anniversary of the lingam being installed here, so that is a bit more motivation.

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
18 February 2012, 11:18 AM
Namasté,

It will be a little tricky to celebrate here, because I am staying in my parents' home (and need to respect their early sleep schedule), and also working an 8 p.m. to midnight shift that night.

During the day, I wish to perform a Śiva homa, and do some chanting and meditation outside. Then work my shift, and listen to prayers and bhajans after (thank goodness for good headphones), and stay up as late as possible.

Amāvasyā falling the next day - on Mardi Gras, no less! - I am hoping to keep fast, at least a simple one, for both days in a row.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Jainarayan
18 February 2012, 02:09 PM
Namaste

I have been very sick recently so I do not think I will be able to attend the service or the vigil which is a huge let down for me. They were things I was greatly looking forward to even if I generally have no idea of what's going on during the service.

I will definitely not be allowed to fast on the day, like I was planning, It's all very saddening.

I believe the very fact that you are disappointed you cannot participate pleases Lord Shiva more than words can say, and He is smiling at your devotion. It is probably more pleasing to Him than the thousands of people who attend worship without a clue as to why they are there.

A story:

As an example, there is a story in Mahabharatha. Arjuna was performing regularly pooja for Athma lingam, but his brother were not doing the same. He felt very proud of his devotional worship to God. As Sri Krishna wanted to control his ego, took him to Mount Kailash, the abode of Shiva. The Arjuna saw large number of baskets of flowers being carried by the Boothaganas. When Arjuna asked Sri Krishna about it, He asked Arjuna to check himself with those carrying the flowers. He stopped one of them asked about it. He got the reply that one of the Pancha Pandavas named Bheema who has been offering these flowers in a pure heart to the lord which they are carrying. Arjuna asked Sri Krishna that if the pure heart flowers of Bheema who does not ever sit down to worship is this much, how much will it be for his own Athmalinga pooja which is performed every day. Sri Krishna asked the Bhoothagana to show Arjuna his portion of the flowers offered. They showed a small mound of flowers lying in one corner. Arjuna asked Sri Krishna to explain this disparity. Sri Krishna explained that, Bheema is thinking of God at all times and whenever he sees a flower garden, he mentally offers all the flowers to Siva as his offering and so it reaches Siva the very next moment. Thus, Sri Krishna explains the Inner self pooja called antharyagam.

Another story:

Once Narada muni went to Krishna and wanted to check with Him as to who was His dearmost devotee. Narada Muni thought that Krishna will tell himself to be the dearmost as he was always singing Krishna’s names and glories using his transcendental veena. But to his surprise Krishna pointed out to a poor farmer and said that he was his dearmost. Narada muni observed that the poor farmer was not very literate person, nor did he know any shlokas. Only thing which the farmer was doing was that both in the morning and in the evening, that is before going to work and after returning from work he simply called out Krishna’s names and prayed for few minutes. Narada muni was puzzled that how could Krishna choose the farmer as His dearmost devotee. To make him realise, Krishna asked Narada muni to keep a vessel of oil on his head, walk for a few miles and circumambulate a well and then return back to Him without spilling the oil on the ground. He also instructed Narada not to use his hands to hold the vessel. Narada muni could not understand what kind of task this was. But he was very particular that he should not spill the oil. With great difficulty he balanced the oil vessel on his head and came back to Krishna after circumambulating the well. When he came back Krishna asked Narada Muni – "Now tell me -how many times did you think about Me, when you were having the vessel on your head." Narada Muni replied that he hardly remembered Krishna at that time as his whole concentration was on the oil vessel. Krishna smiled at him and said - "Just like how you were engrossed in the work I gave you, the poor farmer is also carrying out his prescribed duties with full attention and by calling out My names. Even though he does not know as many shlokas as you do, the simplicity and sincerity of purpose is what that matters to Me."

;)

And may Lord Dhanvantari speed your recovery.

Divine Kala
18 February 2012, 06:17 PM
I believe the very fact that you are disappointed you cannot participate pleases Lord Shiva more than words can say, and He is smiling at your devotion. It is probably more pleasing to Him than the thousands of people who attend worship without a clue as to why they are there.

You have no idea how upset I am. There is all possibility that I won't even be able to perform a basic puja - I just don't have the energy and as doing very much at all hurts I don't think I'll be able to stand for the time it takes to read the Shiva Chalisa and sing the arti... I may have to turn my recliner around the face the altar...

A story
As an example, there is a story in Mahabharatha. Arjuna was performing regularly pooja for Athma lingam, but his brother were not doing the same. He felt very proud of his devotional worship to God. As Sri Krishna wanted to control his ego, took him to Mount Kailash, the abode of Shiva. The Arjuna saw large number of baskets of flowers being carried by the Boothaganas. When Arjuna asked Sri Krishna about it, He asked Arjuna to check himself with those carrying the flowers. He stopped one of them asked about it. He got the reply that one of the Pancha Pandavas named Bheema who has been offering these flowers in a pure heart to the lord which they are carrying. Arjuna asked Sri Krishna that if the pure heart flowers of Bheema who does not ever sit down to worship is this much, how much will it be for his own Athmalinga pooja which is performed every day. Sri Krishna asked the Bhoothagana to show Arjuna his portion of the flowers offered. They showed a small mound of flowers lying in one corner. Arjuna asked Sri Krishna to explain this disparity. Sri Krishna explained that, Bheema is thinking of God at all times and whenever he sees a flower garden, he mentally offers all the flowers to Siva as his offering and so it reaches Siva the very next moment. Thus, Sri Krishna explains the Inner self pooja called antharyagam. Haven't heard this story before but it's yet more evidence that physical, outward puja is only really to help us. God is concerned more with what we are giving inside and how sincere we are then with any outward and flashy signs.

Once Narada muni went to Krishna and wanted to check with Him as to who was His dearmost devotee. Narada Muni thought that Krishna will tell himself to be the dearmost as he was always singing Krishna’s names and glories using his transcendental veena. But to his surprise Krishna pointed out to a poor farmer and said that he was his dearmost. Narada muni observed that the poor farmer was not very literate person, nor did he know any shlokas. Only thing which the farmer was doing was that both in the morning and in the evening, that is before going to work and after returning from work he simply called out Krishna’s names and prayed for few minutes. Narada muni was puzzled that how could Krishna choose the farmer as His dearmost devotee. To make him realise, Krishna asked Narada muni to keep a vessel of oil on his head, walk for a few miles and circumambulate a well and then return back to Him without spilling the oil on the ground. He also instructed Narada not to use his hands to hold the vessel. Narada muni could not understand what kind of task this was. But he was very particular that he should not spill the oil. With great difficulty he balanced the oil vessel on his head and came back to Krishna after circumambulating the well. When he came back Krishna asked Narada Muni – "Now tell me -how many times did you think about Me, when you were having the vessel on your head." Narada Muni replied that he hardly remembered Krishna at that time as his whole concentration was on the oil vessel. Krishna smiled at him and said - "Just like how you were engrossed in the work I gave you, the poor farmer is also carrying out his prescribed duties with full attention and by calling out My names. Even though he does not know as many shlokas as you do, the simplicity and sincerity of purpose is what that matters to Me."I've heard this story before! But in the version I heard Narada was given a diya by Visnu and told to not let it go out while circumambulating the world. Just as in your version Narada is so intent on keeping the flame of the diya alive that he barely even thinks of Narayana.

Also, in the version I heard Narada asks why Visnu is crying and that is how the whole thing begins. (They are tears of joy, I believe.)

And may Lord Dhanvantari speed your recovery.Fingers crossed he does. While I was in hospital one of the things I missed most wasn't actually my computer or my home but my japa mala!

Jainarayan
18 February 2012, 07:18 PM
You have no idea how upset I am. There is all possibility that I won't even be able to perform a basic puja - I just don't have the energy and as doing very much at all hurts I don't think I'll be able to stand for the time it takes to read the Shiva Chalisa and sing the arti... I may have to turn my recliner around the face the altar...

Oh, I can imagine. Turn your recliner, face the altar and read the Shiva Chalisa that way. The Lord certainly wouldn't expect a wheelchair-bound or bedridden person to get up. You are sick, He doesn't want you to suffer more, especially when He knows your intentions and devotion. Ahimsa applies to ourselves too. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if He does something nice for you.

Haven't heard this story before but it's yet more evidence that physical, outward puja is only really to help us. God is concerned more with what we are giving inside and how sincere we are then with any outward and flashy signs.

Ya see!? ;) Just keep remembering those flowers. Think of even a single rose. Mentally offer it to Lord Shiva that He may accept it and bless it.

I've heard this story before! But in the version I heard Narada was given a diya by Visnu and told to not let it go out while circumambulating the world. Just as in your version Narada is so intent on keeping the flame of the diya alive that he barely even thinks of Narayana.

Also, in the version I heard Narada asks why Visnu is crying and that is how the whole thing begins. (They are tears of joy, I believe.)

Nine hundred million Hindus, nine hundred million tellings of one story. :D

Fingers crossed he does. While I was in hospital one of the things I missed most wasn't actually my computer or my home but my japa mala!

I've done japa on my fingers. It took a lot of concentration, but it imparted a great feeling. You could also visualize the numbers 1-108 as you chant. Or just keep chanting as long as your strength holds. Then rest.

When George Harrison lay dying, with Olivia and Dhani, and others around him, he is said to have been reciting the Lord's names until he closed his eyes for the last time. I don't think he even had the strength to hold a mala, or do more than whisper the Lord's names.

If you could get up, I'd tell you to go to the chalkboard and write "Internal devotion, Internal devotion, Internal devotion... " 500 times. ;)

Divine Kala
19 February 2012, 10:01 PM
I just had to have one of my cats put down...

I don't think I'll be able to celebrate Shivaratri at all... I was going to do some japa and some aarti but... I can't. Not now...

Arjuni
19 February 2012, 10:05 PM
Namasté,

Divine Kala, then I will keep vigil and say some prayers for you too, for Him to bring blessing and comfort, and I'm sorry for your sadness in losing a part of your family.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Friend from the West
19 February 2012, 10:33 PM
Namaste and warm hello Divine Kala,

I will gratefully join Indraneela, and am sure others, and you will be thought of and many prayers offered. I am sorry for what you are feeling at this moment. I will pray for your understanding and comfort.

Please take care of yourself in see that that you are going through other trying times.

A prayer for your strength as well, Divine one.

FFTW

saidevo
19 February 2012, 10:36 PM
namaste.

Links to some popular shiva stotras to listen to on this sacred day of shivarAtri:

ardhanArIshvara-stotram
http://www.vedamantram.com/audio/Ardhanaareesvara.mp3

dakShiNAmUrtI stotram
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7szrz6auvc
dAridraya-dahana shiva stotram
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxxhlJdq9JA

kAlabhairavAShTakam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASa08VbK5V4

lingAShTakam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9nuWXKKguc

mRtasanjIvana-stotram
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmpAtfDE-E&feature=related

mRtyunjaya-stotram
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4CDnatLDNE

shivAShTakam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BItlu6rTS4M

shiva mAnasa pUjA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm8Ylq6IzBM

shivaShaDAkShara-stotram
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydInS7-JYnM

rudrAShTakam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgscF8kWRJ0

shiva-tANDava-stotram
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqcewTPVRWs

suvarNamAla stuti
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27qkif-qlr8

vaidyanAthAShTakam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmazu-NgkNs

vishvanAthAShTakam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZmebE70Ljw

NayaSurya
20 February 2012, 09:33 AM
I spent a very long evening at our Temple and it was awesome.

Because I was sick with pneumonia I decided to go to the doctor Saturday to make sure I would not be germy. I recieved the oki fine that I would not give out an illness to others. So I fasted, but still drank because I have been so ill. This worked very well and we were very welcomed by our community here.

Warning*** Backstory****

My Beloved husband met a man 9 years ago at his work, in another city many miles away. Years pass and we not see him again. We moved...then the man also moved to the very huge city about 120 miles away.

We ran into this man a few years ago at tabla concert with Ustad Zakir Hussain and Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma. Out of about 140 tickets, he bought the ticket to the seat next to my husband. He kept looking so intently at us...and says "I think I know you!" He did! So he invited us to the Temple to show us around. Now, at the time I was still very much struggling between the two cultures. Wish to rid myself of much of this culture...yet also hesitant to pick up another in trade. Also, I felt this man was unsure what we were all about. It seem strange to have a woman with 8 children, 3 feet of platinum blonde hair come down off a hill one day and begin seeking Beloved Shiva & not to mention very tearful at temple in gratitude which also probably was odd. The man was very busy and forgot to contact us back....and I suppose we didn't seem too important. At the time I remember saying that I felt he was to help us in some way...and that I could not shake that feeling.

A year ago...

My husband come home from work and say a wonderful Indian woman is hired. It was Diwali week and I tell him, please wish her Happy Diwali as the office is very staunch xtian and not many friendly faces when it comes to such things. So Beloved Hubby go to her and wish her well. She is very happy to hear well wishes for Diwali and they talk about Beloved Shiva a long time. So a long while pass...and this woman go home to her husband and speak to him of these conversations and then tells her husband the name of my husband...and this man...is the very same man who we knew in a city miles away...from nine years ago....who then we sat beside at tabla concert....

Now, his very own wife come to us.

You could discount perhaps the first coincidental meeting...but I have to say sometimes Beloved's Hand is so very profound upon our fates....

This is one of those very wonderful times when you know He is very Here!

Last night, we scrunched into the heap of Beloved's Portions upon the temple floor, singing the bhajan with everyone, and just melted away for many hours.

Then the very sweet priest come up to us and take our hands to welcome us too.

In the end when we were all departing....this Beloved Family who became our guardians of sorts say to not be so long again to come. I tell him that we can not, or the next time Beloved may send a daughter of ours to work with his daughter to remind us our place. This world is so very silly.:p

But, can not deny Beloved's message when it comes so truly clearly, evident.

Happy Shivaratri, Beloved...Beloved EveryThing<3

Eastern Mind
20 February 2012, 10:51 AM
Vannakkam: We went, with a dear old friend from 40 years, who adopted Hinduism at the same time as us. None of the three of us knew when we would want to come home, so oddly enough, we took all 3 vehicles. The long 7 PM puja concluded around 9 ish, and then there was a pause, but some of us wanted to sing, spontaneously, so it started with 3 people, then 5, then 8, and soon it was about 30, singing our hearts out with simple bhajans. We sang until 12 PM, the beginning of the second puja (mostly abhishekham). Around 1:30 my wife and friend left, but I stayed alone for another half hour or so, just to sit in the peace, and after effect.

About 10 people were taking a break in the basement hall, as I left, and they planned to stay the night, until about 7 AM.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
20 February 2012, 11:23 AM
Namaste,

Shiv Shankar Bhagwan ki Jai.
Om Namo Shivaye!

Pranam.

sunyata07
20 February 2012, 02:12 PM
Namaste friends,

My own celebration of Shivaratri this year will be quite humble indeed. A modest abhishekam of the Lord and then mantra japa. It's a pity I wasn't able to arrange some offerings of flowers and fruits for Shiva, but the words of the other members on this forum have comforted me in knowing its the love in my heart for God that always matters most.

Divine Kala, I'm very sorry to hear about the death of your cat. I hope to include you and the welfare of my other dear brothers and sisters in my prayers tonight. May the joys and blessings of Bholenath be upon all souls.

Om namah Shivaya

charitra
20 February 2012, 04:05 PM
Sorry DK as fellow cat owners some of us clearly understand what you are going through.

Happy Shiva Raatri to you all.

tao_of_drew
20 February 2012, 04:23 PM
Like others have said, it can be a bit difficult (particularly in the US) to fully participate in the traditional Shivaratri observances due to work schedules, living conditions, and other obligations.
All of those effect me as well.
Today I am listening to bhajans and mantras dedicated to Lord Shiva, and chanting Om Namah Shivaya as much as I can.

Jainarayan
20 February 2012, 04:38 PM
I just had to have one of my cats put down...

I don't think I'll be able to celebrate Shivaratri at all... I was going to do some japa and some aarti but... I can't. Not now...

My heart goes out to you. I know all too well the pain of losing a furry friend. :( But is not Lord Shiva also known as Pashupati, "Lord of all animals"? If so, perhaps your little sweetie is going to see Him, and will enjoy some time in His company.

yajvan
20 February 2012, 05:06 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

ॐपिनाकिनेनमः
oṁ pinākine namaḥ

namast&#233;

Why do we consider this night of mahāśivarātri, that occurs in the lunar month of māgha extra special? Every month there is a śivarātri, yet this one is great (mahā) . Why so ?

http://kamakhyamandir.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/shivaratri-puja.jpg

praṇām

shian
20 February 2012, 08:22 PM
@ Yajvan Ji : Don't know :p

satay
21 February 2012, 12:56 PM
Bom Bom! Jai BholeNath!

:bowdown:

yajvan
21 February 2012, 02:52 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

ॐपिनाकिनेनमः
oṁ pinākine namaḥ

namast&#233;

Why do we consider this night of mahāśivarātri, that occurs in the lunar month of māgha extra special? Every month there is a śivarātri, yet this one is great (mahā) . Why so ?
There are 2 answers to this question. This 1st answer is called out in the śiva mahāpurāṇa,
koṭirudra saṃhitā (section), 38th adhyāya (chapter)and one may wish to read the information threre.

The 2nd answer has much to do with jyotish and perhaps left for that folder.

praṇām

AmIHindu
21 February 2012, 05:28 PM
Namaste,

I am not sure how many people have celectrated Mahashivratri as planned. Mine was disappointing.
I was waiting for this day since long but on Mahashivaratri day, I didn't felt any spiritual. It was a dry shivaratri as compared to last shivaratri.

Last year, it took me 3 hours to get darshan and abhishek. I was stuck in traffic for 2 hours just in the parking lot of the temple. Last year temple was so much crowded that temple authorities have called police to take care of car traffic and parking. But it was soooooooo much spiritual Shivaratri. I was so much happy doing milk abhishek to 12 Jyotirlinga, and I felt so much happy and spiritual for about 2 days. That spiritual energy was so sweet and happiness was also so sweet , I don't even remember traffic jam when I reached home.

As compared to that, this year, there was no traffic at all. It just took 30 minutes to get Darshan. I did milk abhshek 2 times, once on Sunday evening ( Temple here celebrated shivarati on Sunday), then again I went on Monday morning for Abhishek. My didnt even feel my japa also.
I did whatever was possible from my end, anything beyond this is not in my control.
===================================================

DK - sorry for you dog, be GOD help you to come over this sad moments.
Sunyata - belated welcome back to HDF.

shian
22 February 2012, 12:13 AM
Vanakkam,

This Mahasivaratri, i joined chanting in local Shiva mandir, their bhajan and chanting is wonderful .
Then in my altar i also chanting.
I sleep maybe at 01:00 am
i cant doing full vigil
because in the morning i must go to office and need 45 minutes from home.

Even if no any temple , i also feel happy to do chanting by myself, and i will celebrate only with me and myself :p
because this is the relation between our self and Lord Shiva.

PARAM
22 February 2012, 01:49 AM
There are not enough temples to take a large appearance of devotees, there are only 3 temples open in our place for all devotees and rest are all for local communities where outsiders are not allowed during festivals., this all is for preventing the overcrowding situation in the temple premises, but we don't have enough place.

Jainarayan
22 February 2012, 09:00 AM
I am curious to know the attendance at the few local temples I know of, which are at least 20-30 miles apart. The closest temple I would attend is 21 miles from home, 2/3 of the way to my job. I look forward to seeing the pictures on the temple website. For as large an Indian population as NJ has, there are not many temples.

Muad'Dib
22 February 2012, 04:43 PM
I happened to be in Los Angeles for work and visited the Hollywood temple of the Vedanta Society that night. It's an odd place, and really looks like a combined church and mandir. The worship was fairly stiff (in some ways, it reminded me of the formal Protestantism of my grandparents), but it was offset by the gentle friendliness of the swamis and the energy of the bhajans. I wasn't able to stay through the night, but I found it a gracious concession to human weakness that prasadam was available immediately following the first watch. All in all, it was a nice sivaratri.

Ramakrishna
22 February 2012, 09:20 PM
Namaste,

Wonderful Shivaratri this year for! It was powerfully blissful and a profound experience.

Har Har Mahadev!