PDA

View Full Version : WHY UPPER RANKED VAISHNAB MATHA SANNYASI OF THE DAY ARE REGARDED AS MAHARAJ

uttam
26 February 2012, 03:50 AM
Actually the history of this so called ‘Maharaj’ in the rank and file of the today’s vaishnab Mathas is not known to me . But it comes to my mind that this word ‘ Maharaj’ attached with vaishnab sannyashi is nothing but mockery to vaishnab culture in general and so called Gaudiya vaishnab( ISKON/GAUDIYA MATHA) in particular.I think the most acceptable meaning of the word Maharaj is “ The King of Kings”. Now-a-days we see the high ranked sannyashi from Ram Krishna Mission or Bharat Sevasram Sangha or many other Dasanami sannyashi bears the title Maharaj with their sannyas name. I am surprised to think how a word which denotes the highest manifestation of Aishaurya (opulence/wealth) is associated with the name of such people who are supposed to live a life which is considered for the poorest of the poor in the society. I don’t know whether the high ranked vaishnab of the so called authorised sampradaya are addressed by the word ‘Maharaj’ before their vaishnab-mame or not but what I know is that in the line of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu‘s Gaudiya vaishnab tradition, there were Goswami or Gossain. In Sri Chaitanya charitamrita we find the use of of the word Gossain many times. At present , the Gossain has gone and Maharaj appeared. I don’t know how and by whom and since when the revolution in the vaishnab sannyasi title has happened. I invite those who know the history of this revolution to share their knowledge. For once, I imagine this poor , simple and innocent sannyasi of vaishnab matha of the day seems to be happy like a king when they are addressed by the followers as Maharaj. Just like DAY DREAMING.Here I have to acknowledge that some of the matha sannyasi are just like a real king , the Maharaj in their every day life in terms of traveling and high status in the Math itself.

sm78
26 February 2012, 04:15 AM
I think the most acceptable meaning of the word Maharaj is “ The King of Kings”. Now-a-days we see the high ranked sannyashi from Ram Krishna Mission or Bharat Sevasram Sangha or many other Dasanami sannyashi bears the title Maharaj with their sannyas name. I am surprised to think how a word which denotes the highest manifestation of Aishaurya (opulence/wealth) is associated with the name of such people who are supposed to live a life which is considered for the poorest of the poor in the society.

The theory goes that by renouncing material wealth which is always limited one attaches to God who is unlimited in every way. A sannyasi may be begger by in terms of visible wealth, but is really very wealthy inside having the highest wealth and power viz self-realization.

Not only Maharaj, but the traditional tile of a sannyasi is a swami which also means lord.

Why this concept has been adopted by vaishnavas I don't know. How sannyasa is at all important in vaishnavism I am not sure. I believe it was inspired and borrowed from advaitins.

uttam
26 February 2012, 04:47 AM
Dear sm78
Thank you for sharing your thoughts here. I like to inform you that according to chaitanya charitamrita sannyas is one of the five karma which are forbidden in kaliyug. I am going to post a new thread in this regard very soon.

devotee
26 February 2012, 04:49 AM
Namaste Uttam and SM,

The theory goes that by renouncing material wealth which is always limited one attaches to God who is unlimited in every way. A sannyasi may be begger by in terms of visible wealth, but is really very wealthy inside having the highest wealth and power viz self-realization.

Not only Maharaj, but the traditional tile of a sannyasi is a swami which also means lord.

Why this concept has been adopted by vaishnavas I don't know. How sannyasa is at all important in vaishnavism I am not sure. I believe it was inspired and borrowed from advaitins.

SM is right. However, I can add a little more here.

The title MaharAj denotes the power of the person to control. 'Control' what ? The sense organs, the mind, the desires. The person who has mastery over his sense organs and mind is "Swami" or the "Master" and he is also referred with the respectful title "MahArAj".

OM

uttam
26 February 2012, 06:35 AM
Dear devotee
I am also agree with both of you but my specific area of concern is vaishnab sannyashi. I am quoting a text from chaitanya charitamrita to understand the position of a king to mahaprabhu as a sannyasi. Here the king is Raja Prataprudra of Puri.

Prabhu kahe, -tathapi raja kala-sarpakara
Kastha –nari sparse yaiche upaje vicar
( Meaning : According to prabhu although the king is a devotee, still he sould be considered a venomous snake. Just like though a woman made of wood causes agitation simply by touching her wooden form.) .Accordingly touch of any kind of aishaurya like ( vastu or vakya) is also not acceptable so far Gaudiya vaishnab dharma is concerned. Further, sannyasi ,other than vaishnab sannyasi ,may be king like by dint of their jnyan or self realization after a long journey of tapasya or dhyana etc but so far bhakti marg is concerned , the bhakta remain under the water of sri krishna bhakti sagar and does not seem to be enjoying like a material king.Please bring some light on vaishnab sannyasi .

devotee
26 February 2012, 08:29 AM
Namaste Uttam,

I think some Vaishnava forum member will be in a better position to answer your query.

OM

uttam
26 February 2012, 12:29 PM
Dear devotee
May be you are right. Let us see.By the way, I am agree with sm78 that the vaishnabs who ever introduced the kingship in vaishnab dharma might have been inspired and borrowed from Advaitins . Because it is sankaracharya who introduced the whole concept of sannyas and even all the puri and bharati sannyasi found in the gaudiya vaishnab parampara also belong to Dasanami sannyasi created by sankaracharya.The irony is that these sannyasi were not addressed as Maharaj or like this during their age rather they were known as Gossain or Goswami. I do not find any reason why this Gossain or Gowami has been replaced by Maharaj or Guru Maharaj etc . what was the problem with gossain or goswami ?Is it not unprecedented ?I hope some body will enlighten shortly with proper explanation.