PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Mala "Technique"

Aakriti
01 March 2012, 01:03 AM
During the last month or so I began using a mala for the first time. The "instructions" that came with it, and the videos I saw on YouTube, all say that the mala should be held so that the index finger points "out" from the hand (and does not touch the mala), while the mala beads are being rotated using the thumb and middle finger.

Would someone please explain to me why the index finger should not touch the mala beads while they are being used for japa?

This has become important to me because I have begun using my mala while I am driving, and--especially in heavy or erratic traffic--it is much safer to use my left (non-dominant) hand, and to rotate the beads using my thumb and index finger (so: NOT my middle finger, which "remains" with my ring finger and little finger).

What is the reason why the index finger is not "allowed" to touch the beads while they are being used?

Thank you very much for your kind wisdom.

:)

Aakriti

Eastern Mind
01 March 2012, 06:52 PM
During the last month or so I began using a mala for the first time. The "instructions" that came with it, and the videos I saw on YouTube, all say that the mala should be held so that the index finger points "out" from the hand (and does not touch the mala), while the mala beads are being rotated using the thumb and middle finger.

Would someone please explain to me why the index finger should not touch the mala beads while they are being used for japa?

This has become important to me because I have begun using my mala while I am driving, and--especially in heavy or erratic traffic--it is much safer to use my left (non-dominant) hand, and to rotate the beads using my thumb and index finger (so: NOT my middle finger, which "remains" with my ring finger and little finger).

What is the reason why the index finger is not "allowed" to touch the beads while they are being used?

Aakriti

Vannakkam Aakriti: I am not sure of the reason against the index finger, but I'm sure there is a valid one, and its most likely mystical.

On another note, I would personally never do japa while driving. I might do it mentally, but I'd never use a mala. In fact, here in Canada, it would be against the law, falling under the category of distracted driving, like cell phone use. Both hands on the wheel.

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
01 March 2012, 07:36 PM
Namasté, Aakriti.

This question regarding the index finger was raised and discussed, a few months ago in a different thread about japa. We never reached a consensus on the answer, but some ideas were discussed in this thread (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7961), starting with post #11 and moving down. I hope it helps.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Aakriti
02 March 2012, 09:33 PM
Vannakkam Aakriti: I am not sure of the reason against the index finger, but I'm sure there is a valid one, and its most likely mystical.

On another note, I would personally never do japa while driving. I might do it mentally, but I'd never use a mala. In fact, here in Canada, it would be against the law, falling under the category of distracted driving, like cell phone use. Both hands on the wheel.

Aum Namasivaya

I do keep both hands on the wheel. :) That's a lot of why I asked the question, because in order to keep both hands safely on the wheel, I think I need to use my index finger for the beads.

So far as driving goes, it really does work. I just didn't know if, from the japa mala point of view, I could--according to accepted practice--do it the way I have been.

Thank you for answering. :)

Aakriti

Aakriti
02 March 2012, 09:35 PM
Namasté, Aakriti.

This question regarding the index finger was raised and discussed, a few months ago in a different thread about japa. We never reached a consensus on the answer, but some ideas were discussed in this thread (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7961), starting with post #11 and moving down. I hope it helps.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Thank you so much for this link. I am going to print off the thread.

I'm new on this board, so I greatly appreciate your telling me where to find the information.

Thank you!

Aakriti

Arjuni
07 March 2012, 07:30 PM
Namasté,

You're very welcome, Aakriti, both for the information and to this forum! It's hard to find old threads sometimes unless you know just where to look, but that's why we old fogeys are here: to say "You know, I remember when somebody asked that question before...why, it was before the wheel was invented..." :D

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Jainarayan
13 March 2012, 09:44 AM
Namaste.

I do keep both hands on the wheel. :) That's a lot of why I asked the question, because in order to keep both hands safely on the wheel, I think I need to use my index finger for the beads.

So far as driving goes, it really does work. I just didn't know if, from the japa mala point of view, I could--according to accepted practice--do it the way I have been.

Thank you for answering. :)

Aakriti

Driving is not the best place to do japa of any kind, on mAlA or mental. Just my .02 How can you focus on your mantra japa or nama japa, and on the road? :dunno:

satay
15 March 2012, 10:56 PM
namaste,
There are probably many reasons for not using the index finger but I only know of one. I was told that the index finger should point outwards and must not touch the bead as in that position the hand becomes a cow's mouth and each bead is then dropped in the mouth of the cow with your japa. That is to say that with each bead you are offering the bead to the cow. What's the spriritual significance of this, I didn't ask the person who was telling me this.

If I were to make a suggestion, I would say not to use your left hand for japa and ensure that your index finger does not touch the bead.

That said, you are not obligated to adhere to my suggestion as I am not an authority on this matter.

Aakriti