PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Bethany
02 March 2012, 08:30 AM
Hello everyone! I am here to learn about Hinduism. I am trying to find a religion that feels right, and I just decided to start with Hinduism. :) I live in Houston Texas so if there is anyone in that area please PM me. ^^ I am reading Hindu scriptures on the Sacred Texts website but I don't know where to go from there. I guess that's it. :)

-Bethany

Believer
03 March 2012, 07:02 PM
Namaste,

Welcome Beth.

I am reading Hindu scriptures on the Sacred Texts website but I don't know where to go from there.
Reading, understanding and practicing the contents of the scriptures takes a lifetime. So, you don't need to worry about 'where to go from there'. ;)

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
03 March 2012, 07:14 PM
Hello everyone! I am here to learn about Hinduism. I am trying to find a religion that feels right, and I just decided to start with Hinduism. :) I live in Houston Texas so if there is anyone in that area please PM me. ^^ I am reading Hindu scriptures on the Sacred Texts website but I don't know where to go from there. I guess that's it. :)

-Bethany

Vannakkam: Welcome to HDF. There's a nice temple in Pearland, but you probably know that already. Sometimes a visit to a temple can help a person 'decide'. Best wishes on your adventure in seeking.

Aum Namasivaya

Aakriti
03 March 2012, 07:48 PM
Hi Bethany:

I am also new to HDF. I was raised in the Vedanta Temple in Hollywood (California), and have recently come "home" again to Hinduism after some adventures "abroad." ;)

You have a number of choices in your part of Texas. If you Google "Hindu temple, Texas" a list of Hindu temples will come up (some in your area), so you can begin your own journey. My advice would be to visit several different temples if you can, because with each visit you will learn things of great value to you. At some point, you will know and feel where your own Hindu "home" truly is.

When Swami Vivikenanda came to the United States in the late 1800s, he founded the first Vedanta Society temple in New York. (Vedanta is Advaita Hinduism.) He was later instrumental in founding several Vedanta temples in the U.S. (this was a very big deal back then: the first, Western-oriented Hindu temples in the United States), and among these was the Hollywood (California) temple, where I grew up. So one of the temples you might check out (if you're interested in Advaita Hinduism) is the Vedanta Society of Greater Houston. I don't know if this temple is specifically related to the Vendanta Society of Southern California (in other words: I don't know if it is connected to the Ramakrishna Mission part of Hinduism), but what you should find there is a Western-friendly introduction to authentic Hindu spirituality, philosophy, and daily life. Sometimes, a Western-friendly intro can serve as a helpful bridge "in."

Welcome to HDF.

Aakriti

charitra
03 March 2012, 08:39 PM
Wlcome Bethany
Namaste.

Mana
04 March 2012, 04:25 AM
Namaste Bethany,

Welcome to HDF, pleased to meet you.
I sincerely hope that you find what you are looking for. Sanatana dharma tends toward us, so, to let you into a little secret; I have faith that you will.

praNAma

mana

sunyata07
05 March 2012, 02:12 PM
Namaste Bethany,

Welcome to the forums. You'll find plenty to learn more about Hinduism here, don't worry. As Believer says, learning about this path will take most of us an entire lifetime. So might as well enjoy the ride.

Om namah Shivaya

devotee
05 March 2012, 10:06 PM
Welcome to the forums, Bethany ! :)

OM

kallol
06 March 2012, 01:23 AM
Welcome Bethany.

I am sure the learning will keep you interested long. Ofcourse the assimilating and practising part follows.

I am sure you will enjoy.

Houston has a street full of different sects of Hinduism.

Type Durga Bari (Bari means Home & Durga is a Deity or Goddess) in Google and you can visit that street.

Every Sunday they have prayers (puja), so you can visit and enjoy.

Bethany
06 March 2012, 03:59 PM
Thank you everyone for the welcomes and the information! Kallol and anyone else who wants to answer: Are Christians allowed to enter a Hindu temple? My brother says we aren't according to what his Hindu friend.

wundermonk
07 March 2012, 12:28 AM
Thank you everyone for the welcomes and the information! Kallol and anyone else who wants to answer: Are Christians allowed to enter a Hindu temple? My brother says we aren't according to what his Hindu friend.

Welcome.

How can anyone look at someone and say that he/she is a Christian? If you are wearing a Burqa, or a large cross symbol, or a Jewish hat a large beard, then yes, someone may stop you and ask you what you want to do in a temple.

In general, when visiting someone else's place of worship, it would be humble and respectful to believers if you simply hid any outward symbol of your religion.

sm78
07 March 2012, 02:07 AM

Depends on the temple - I can't imagine a temple in states would be doing that. If you come to India and try to enter puri jagannatha temple, even without any outer visible sign of christianity or any other religion (a temple situated in the state of orrissa on India's easter coast) - you will be definitely stopped. In most other temples in India you won't be stopped.

satay
07 March 2012, 05:17 PM
namaskar,
Christians are definitely allowed in our temples here in Canada.

Eastern Mind
07 March 2012, 08:41 PM
Depends on the temple - I can't imagine a temple in states would be doing that.

Vannakkam: As Satay alluded to, this sure highlights how little Indians understand America, (and vice versa). I will go as far as saying only those who have actually lived in both places have a decent understanding. Some of us who have travelled a little may have a bit of an idea.

I have no idea what might happen if a temple here hung up a sign that said, "No non-Hindus allowed!" I'm guessing it might cause an uproar. But maybe not. Certainly it would offend some Indian Christians I know, most especially those who are in mixed faith marriages of the Hindu-Christian variety. :)

Aum Namasivaya

charitra
07 March 2012, 10:19 PM
in the USA all are welcome in hindu mandirs, that is the OFFICIAL policy. So Bethany just walk in and pleaase follow some minimum requirements like modestly dressed etc, of which i have no doubts you would.
So there it is get in there and lets hear first hand your experience.:) Take your brother with you so that he wont spread misinformation any longer.

(Recently in Goa, India some beach goers/ sun bathers walked into a Mandir and were politely told to chnge their attire. Some mandirs in India do resrict access to hindus only. Evengelicals went in and took some images and denigrated them on some weblinks.)

Eastern Mind
08 March 2012, 08:08 AM

Vannakkam Bethany: Sometimes it may appear that you aren't welcome at first. Hindu temples are open to anyone, but there is no welcoming committee. In a Christian Church, because of the evangelizing mindset, or just a more 'touchy-feely' friendliness in the culture, chances are someone will at least say hello. In a Hindu temple, people go primarily to see God, not people, so you may well feel ignored, if there is no manager's office. Most temples aren't large enough to have greeters, or even hold regular tours or open houses. Hindus in general are shy, not ones to step forward with big handshakes and welcomes.

Priests also have entirely different roles, and aren't involved in outreach. Their job is to take care of the vibration of the temple, primarily through the deities. So just because of these differences, it can appear that you're not welcome. Rest assured that God is glad to see you!

Aum Namasivaya

kallol
08 March 2012, 10:46 AM
The answers are all there for you Bethany. Now step out and move into a temple.

Barring some abberations, there is no restriction, till as already pointed out, the respect and humbleness is there.

God's abode is for all and that is what hinduism is all about.