PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Seeker

Seeker
08 March 2012, 11:54 PM
Hello fellow seekers,

I am born into Hindu family , and followed the religion in a ritualistic manner until I was 18.

I converted to Christianity much to my parents dismay , and followed the religion for 3 years , before I realized that it was not a religion for me. In that time I memorized bible (King james version).

After rejecting Christianity , I read up on Dialetical materialism - but could never buy into the philosophy.

For the next several years I was an agnostic, reading up on on Buddhism.

A Palestinian friend gave me a copy of Koran (Shahid Bukhari) in the hope of converting me . I read Koran thrice from cover to cover comparing it with Bible and read up on Hadiths , but realized that the religion of Islam has all pitfalls of the religion of moses.

About six years ago , I chanced upon the books about Ramana Maharishi - and it was a very satisfying read. From there I followed up with Viveka Choodamani , Taitreya upanishad , katho upanishad and several other books on Advaitha.

I am glad to find this forum where there are several wise ideas about divinity are exchanged. Hope to learn more from all of you.

wundermonk
09 March 2012, 02:29 AM
Interesting journey. Welcome to HDF.

Maya3
09 March 2012, 07:07 AM
Welcome,

I have not really had a journey where I tried other religions that much.
But I remember reading the Upanishads for the first time and then other things about Advaita and it really hit home.

Kind of like suddenly learning science after reading stories before.
Glad you found your way back home.

Maya

fromthroughandto
09 March 2012, 09:13 PM
Hello fellow seekers,

I am born into Hindu family , and followed the religion in a ritualistic manner until I was 18.

I converted to Christianity much to my parents dismay , and followed the religion for 3 years , before I realized that it was not a religion for me. In that time I memorized bible (King james version).

After rejecting Christianity , I read up on Dialetical materialism - but could never buy into the philosophy.

A Palestinian friend gave me a copy of Koran (Shahid Bukhari) in the hope of converting me . I read Koran thrice from cover to cover comparing it with Bible and read up on Hadiths , but realized that the religion of Islam has all pitfalls of the religion of moses.

About six years ago , I chanced upon the books about Ramana Maharishi - and it was a very satisfying read. From there I followed up with Viveka Choodamani , Taitreya upanishad , katho upanishad and several other books on Advaitha.

I am glad to find this forum where there are several wise ideas about divinity are exchanged. Hope to learn more from all of you.

Welcome. Part of my reading includes some studies of the writings of Rama Maharishi. I'm also new here, so perhaps we shall chat some. Peace.

Mana
12 March 2012, 01:55 PM
Namaste seeker,

An interesting path indeed; pleased to meet you, welcome.

praNAma

mana

Seeker
13 March 2012, 06:49 PM
Wundermonk, Maya3, fromthroughandto & Mana - thanks for the kind words.

rog
24 April 2012, 12:53 PM
Namaste Seeker,

I looked at your post because you are my first answer on the forum so thank you for taking the effort :)

Your route here is interesting and it is so reassuring to read your post and also the other replies on this thread -

I am interested in what you have read as I have only read Bhagavad Gita properly and lots of quotes and snippets but there is so much resource, what would be your suggestion of the next text for me to read properly and why?

- don't worry, I realise you're not a guru but I'm still interested in your thoughts or anyone else's on this question :)

Maya3, you nailed it when you said;

"Kind of like suddenly learning science after reading stories before."

That's just like I felt, I was able to take rational steps towards accepting that the Hindu construct was self evidently true with no leaps of faith just realisation.

Thanks Hindudes:D

Rog

Eastern Mind
26 April 2012, 09:57 AM
Vannakkam rog: Indeed the Bhagavad Gita is probably the most widely read Hindu scripture, in large part due to the promotion of it in more recent times. So it's a scripture you're likely to encounter. Certainly it is the most widely discussed, translated, and commented on. But only the Vaishnava sampradayas consider it THE most important scripture. Other sects and sampradayas may consider it one of many, or even not at all. The Vedas and Upanishads, on the other hand, are considered scripture by the vast majority of Hindus from all sects. Also important is the idea that Hinduism is a lot more than scripture. Unlike Abrahamic faiths, Hindusim isn't primarily scripture based. It is also practice based. In other words, things like temple worship (bhakti), right conduct (charya) , and more are considered key. Many Hindus simple don't read any scripture. Again, this is contrary to Abrahamism. Many people would consider pilgrimage to a sacred temple, 15 minutes of meditation, or a round of japa more valuable than reading anything. Other readings may include the works of more modern Saints, Sages, and Gurus. The followers within each Guru led sampradaya consider the writings of those individuals as scripture too. So its a big big world, and welcome to it. Aum Namasivaya

Seeker123
26 April 2012, 01:37 PM
Rog,

This link has a lot of free info - videos, audio, text.

http://www.avgsatsang.org/

Traditionally one should read Bhagavadgita, then the 10 Upanishads, and then Brahmasutras. I would suggest you pick one path Advaita, Dvaita, Vishistadvaita etc. and stick to it or else it could get confusing.

EM,

What you say may be true that Hindus dont read much scripture but Adi Shankara Advaita tradition and several other traditions as well put a lot of stress on Jnana. Our large body of scriptures is proof I think that reading/inquiry/debate was very common.

Eastern Mind
26 April 2012, 02:37 PM
Vannakkam Seeler 123: Can you give me your definition of 'jnana'? Nandri.

Aum Namasivaya

Seeker123
27 April 2012, 01:40 PM
I have discussed Jnana in the defeaters post. Basically Moksha/attainment of Jnana is nothing but the firm realization that there is nothing but consciousness. You need Sravana, Manana, Nidhidhyasana to attain Jnana. Basically constant inquiry into the ephemeral nature of objects. The path is Neti Neti (not this not that) -i.e. everything is Mithya while Brahman is the only real underlying basis.

Eastern Mind
27 April 2012, 02:34 PM
Vannakkam: I think jnana is derived from a process of Self-inquiry via deeper meditative methods that go well beyond the intellect, and that sometimes there is a different view, based on an intellectual or bookish study. My Guru's Guru efined jnana as knowledge obtained from oneself by oneself.

Aum Namasivaya

Seeker
28 April 2012, 01:39 PM
Namaste Seeker,

I looked at your post because you are my first answer on the forum so thank you for taking the effort :)

Your route here is interesting and it is so reassuring to read your post and also the other replies on this thread -

I am interested in what you have read as I have only read Bhagavad Gita properly and lots of quotes and snippets but there is so much resource, what would be your suggestion of the next text for me to read properly and why?

- don't worry, I realise you're not a guru but I'm still interested in your thoughts or anyone else's on this question :)

Maya3, you nailed it when you said;

"Kind of like suddenly learning science after reading stories before."

That's just like I felt, I was able to take rational steps towards accepting that the Hindu construct was self evidently true with no leaps of faith just realisation.

Thanks Hindudes:D

Rog

Namaste Rog.

Apologize for the delay , as I usually get to post only during weekends.

The readings that were eye openers to me were the writings about Bhagwan Ramana Maharishi & Adi Sankara's viveka choodamani.

'Be as you are' by david Goldman is a good read on Sri Ramana Maharishi. There is a translation of Viveka Choodamani with comments by Swami Chinmayananda.

As far as reading is concerned , I find that the reading interests (fictional , documentaries , scientific etc..) have an impact on what kind of book brings an aha moment. The ones I like are found by others to be a difficult read and vice versa.

I also liked reading Eknath Easwarans condensed writings on Upanishads.

Om Namasivaya.

Seeker
28 April 2012, 01:44 PM
Vannakkam: I think jnana is derived from a process of Self-inquiry via deeper meditative methods that go well beyond the intellect, and that sometimes there is a different view, based on an intellectual or bookish study. My Guru's Guru efined jnana as knowledge obtained from oneself by oneself.

Aum Namasivaya

EM,
I perceive Jnanam as 'Wisdom derived thru Self awareness.'. Your sentences also convey a meaning to me.

Sahasranama
28 April 2012, 05:16 PM
Vannakkam rog: Indeed the Bhagavad Gita is probably the most widely read Hindu scripture, in large part due to the promotion of it in more recent times. So it's a scripture you're likely to encounter. Certainly it is the most widely discussed, translated, and commented on. But only the Vaishnava sampradayas consider it THE most important scripture. Other sects and sampradayas may consider it one of many, or even not at all. The Vedas and Upanishads, on the other hand, are considered scripture by the vast majority of Hindus from all sects

The Bhagavad Gita has been popular all along and is not limited to Vaishnava sampradayas. In vedanta, it is one of the three prashtanas (among the upanishads and brahma sutras). In the puranas the glories of the Bhagavad Gita are sung with high praise and even Shaiva scholars have commented upon the Bhagavad Gita. The Bhagavad Gita was also the first Hindu scripture to be translated in English. The things you have heard about the Bhagavad Gita from the american church of SS are based on misconceptions alone and do not represent how Hindus view the Bhagavad Gita. For the large part of the Hindu population the vedas are inaccessible and not very relevant. The role the Bhagavad Gita plays in Hinduism should not be understated.

maraji
29 April 2012, 07:35 AM
Pranam

Bhagvat Gita has never been viewed as sectrian with Hindus. To say so it is tantamount as accusing Bhagvan Krishna as sectarian

Seeker
29 April 2012, 04:17 PM
I don’t interpret EM’s comment as saying that Gita is sectarian. In Tamil Nadu , the Brahmins are split along the lines of Shaivites & Vaishnavites. The sects are called Iyers/Iyengars and worship Siva and Vishnu respectively. They go to different temples , wear different styles of forhead markings and wont intermarry. But no means violent – their differences are just that – differences in opinion.

It is difficult for most Hindus to be sectarian & I can narrate my personal story.

When I converted to Christianity , I tried to convert my parents too. Until that point my father’s opinion of Jesus was that he was a God of savage races who colonized helpless nations with weapons and ate meat . After several back and forth discusssions , he concluded that Jesus was also an avatar and kept the bible in front of idols – along with Ramayan , Bhagawatahm & Gita. He hung a picture of Jesus too! It is there to date. I could never convert him the way I intended to.

charitra
01 May 2012, 08:43 AM
Trying to understand the compelling reasons for the newfound interest in hindu dharma. What prompted the second look at this ancient dharma? Is it in essence that the ‘first look’ never had happened? That the core theosophy of hinduism never was explained to you, that as a teen you only SAW an outwardly or superficial envelope of hinduism with only ‘all murthy worship’, and no consumption of doctrinal nectar ever taking place? Sad. That’s what is happening even today in 2012. If so any thoughts what ought to be done to explain thr philosophy to teens? And what were the reasons to have a relook at your adopted faith. (Were you not so convinced that ev en you wanted to convert your father to this shallow faith?) Was David Frawley justified in declaring that his (former) co religionists are all now uniformly disappointed with the inherent doctrinal inadequacy shrinking its shelf life. Welcome home, better late than never, imagine how ecstatic your father would have felt had he had an opportunity to see his son MATURING, if I may say so. The poor gentleman was deprived of the joy. (Sorry Iam not accusatory though I may sound so.) Namaste.

Hello fellow seekers,

Seeker
02 May 2012, 12:13 AM
Namaste Charitra Ji!

My parents are still alive & my dad never misses an opportunity to joke about the path I took! No need to worry about his emotions. It is me , who is at the receiving end whenever we meet:D

I don't have any regret either. In a way , it helps me to teach my kids what to watch out for.

I talk to my kids about what I know about upanishads and advaita and teach them to meditate.

sudhumravarna
08 May 2012, 08:28 AM
Namaste Everyone,
I am a 26 yr old guy , born in India, presently live in Norway. I am born in Hindu family and looked at religious views and understandings of people known to me in a critical lens in the recent years and i have defined my sense of beliefs and ideals for my religious life after . I like and do poojas of all devatas , though my ista devata is manifestation of Lakhsmi and Indra is the greatest devotee of Lakshmi Devi. I do upasana of Para-Brahman. I have interest in Purva n Uttara Mimamsa philosophy and like to learn more.

Pranaaam:)

Mana
08 May 2012, 10:34 AM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste sudhumravarna,

Welcome to HDF; pleased to meet you.
I look forwards to reading your posts.
You might like to consider, starting your own introductory thread, however, I am sure that Seeker wont be bothered in the slightest. ;)

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya