PDA

View Full Version : Rk Veda at face value?

yajvan
16 January 2007, 10:20 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

There has been reasonable discussions of why not just take scriptures at face value?
This is an interesting consideration, yet with some difficulties.
How would one then interpet some of the mantras/sutra's given, such as
RV 1.7.3 ? It talks of Indra raising the sun in heaven,( Which is fine at face value) but then how do we handle the following - gobhih adrim airayat. That is, the hill (adri) was smashed (airayat) by the cows (go or gau). Hummm... this proves to be a difficult thing to consider at face value. Why would Indra smash a hill with a cow? Based upon the symbols we have the hill/mountation as the symbol for ignorance, and we have gau, or cow , used in the Veda as rays of light, in this case rays of knowledge. So Ignorance (mountain/density/hill some say tamas) is smashed by the rays of knowledge. This cracks the code for this sukta.
The veda is fill with this sanketa or symbols and are hidden (ninya) within the word-symbols:
apa - or water, for consciousness
soma - a creeper, yet is the delight of existence when 'pressed out'
usha - the dawn - the perfect symbol for the awakening.
ashva - horse, or steed - for force and power.
ghrta - ghee, yet the symbol for clarity, rich (golden) thought i.e. dhiyam ghrtachim sounds out of place as a mind/intellect dripping with ghee. yet here it is the intellect of clarifed golden thought. Or ghrtasys nama guhyam yad asti, says rishi Vamadeva, that which is the secret name of ghrta.
vajra - Indra's lighteing bolt - what of this? what do you think it represents?

There's many more we can entertain..this is how we can learn of the inner meaning f the veda and messages given by the kavi. Its a joy to discuss and I am still the student here, so for those with additions and insights, please add to this conversation.

pranams,

Agnideva
16 January 2007, 11:00 PM
The veda is fill with this sanketa or symbols and are hidden (ninya) within the word-symbols:
apa - or water, for consciousness
soma - a creeper, yet is the delight of existence when 'pressed out'
usha - the dawn - the perfect symbol for the awakening.
ashva - horse, or steed - for force and power.
ghrta - ghee, yet the symbol for clarity, rich (golden) thought i.e. dhiyam ghrtachim sounds out of place as a mind/intellect dripping with ghee. yet here it is the intellect of clarifed golden thought. Or ghrtasys nama guhyam yad asti, says rishi Vamadeva, that which is the secret name of ghrta.
vajra - Indra's lighteing bolt - what of this? what do you think it represents?

Namaste Yajvan,

Great post! First a question: does vajra mean thunderbolt or diamond, or can it be both? For example, the name Vajrasuchika, as in the Vajrasuchika Upanishad, it is translated as 'diamond needle.' So I assume it can mean either one depending on context.

In any case, I believe vajra in vajrasuchika represents a piercing through ignorance. Same can be said for thunderbolt ... it is a flash of knowledge that pierces through the dark storm cloud of ignorance.

Regards,
A.

yajvan
17 January 2007, 07:56 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste Yajvan,

Great post! First a question: does vajra mean thunderbolt or diamond, or can it be both? For example, the name Vajrasuchika, as in the Vajrasuchika Upanishad, it is translated as 'diamond needle.' So I assume it can mean either one depending on context.

In any case, I believe vajra in vajrasuchika represents a piercing through ignorance. Same can be said for thunderbolt ... it is a flash of knowledge that pierces through the dark storm cloud of ignorance.
A.

Namaste AD,
I did not know this... once I looked it up I see 'diamond' also, nice insight. Especially when after the thunderbolt, what happens? Usaually rain, water and the symbol for flowing consciousness.