PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to meditate before going to bed?

Leena
15 March 2012, 03:33 PM
Namaste,

I can't seem to concentrate when I meditate during the day because it's hard to escape the household noise. I am hours from a temple and have no vehicle, so that leaves meditating at night before I go to sleep. I've read on sites that you should meditate and then carry on with your activities, so I was just wondering if was ok to meditate at night, and what is the recommended length of time one should engage in meditation?

devotee
15 March 2012, 10:45 PM
Namaste Leena,

Yes, it is advisable to meditate before you go to bed.

OM

Eastern Mind
16 March 2012, 08:21 AM
Vannakkam: I second Devotee, not just okay, but advisable.

Aum Namasivaya

Maya3
16 March 2012, 09:57 AM
Definitely meditate when it fits your schedule the best, and when it fits your body and mind the best.

Maya

NayaSurya
16 March 2012, 11:23 AM
I sympathize very much with your situation as i have a noisy household of mostly teenagers and mixed ages...:p

Here, i meditate every night, with japa too. But, i am on the verge of sleep and am using it to relax. The funniest thing has begun to happen...even when i roll over at night i am still saying Beloved Shiva's name...and it's so profoundly wonderfull. I can't even describe that moment with words.

I couldn't imagine sleeping without such a thing now.

Now, I do have another suggestion because i also have your problem. Try going to sleep really early so you are very very rested. Then getting up very early before the noise begin...and getting shower...to make sure you are really awake. Then meditate.

This environment is also very good for meditation if the night time does not work out so goodly.<3

yajvan
16 March 2012, 12:11 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Meditation before bedtime is fine , yet one must ask why ?

It is about saṃdhi संधि - junction ; a juncture ; a seam; ~ in between ~

During bed time there is this junction 'between' activity and rest. We also find this natural juncture occuring during the day.

This post may assist you: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=622 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=622)

praṇām

Leena
16 March 2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks to you all. NayaSurya- I will give your suggestion a try.
Yajvan- Thank you for the link. It was interesting.

heather.s
29 March 2012, 01:50 PM
this week at work has been very trying for me. I was meditating before bed asking for help for me to be at peace with things and just accept them as they come and not worry.

Whatdoyaknow, the next morning i woke up and all those worries were miles away.

so i say yes. :)