PDA

View Full Version : Dressing the Part

Amala
18 March 2012, 01:32 PM
Namaste,

Before someone gets his/her panties in a twist, let me qualify this thread by saying I in no way believe that clothes have anything to do with whether or not someone is a true Hindu.

That being said, I find the salwar kameez is perfect for not only yoga and padmasana, but for living modestly and hygienically. I wear them almost without exception - regardless of the occasion. My kids aren't embarrassed of me dressing 'weird' and my family doesn't question my choices... although my baby sis ribs me about wearing MC hammer pants. LOL

Does anyone here wear salwar kameez? I love the craftsmanship and the artistry! Lately, though, I've been thinking more about vairagyam and about worldly focus, which brings me to notions of simplicity. Does anyone buy or make very simple salwar kameez/kurta pyjamas? I would love to buy one and maybe based on that design, try my hand at making one.

Om shanti Om

Eastern Mind
18 March 2012, 01:50 PM
Vannakkam Amala: My wife wears them a lot. (and saris) She found one that really fit, took it apart, and now makes them. The Indian fabric stores always have great selections.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
18 March 2012, 02:03 PM
Namaste,

....... I in no way believe that clothes have anything to do with whether or not someone is a true Hindu.
I wear them almost without exception....
....Lately, though, I've been thinking more about vairagyam and about worldly focus, which brings me to notions of simplicity. Am I the only one connecting the dots that may not exist? :)

Pranam.

Amala
18 March 2012, 02:06 PM
Vannakkam Eastern Mind, Your wife is brilliant. I hope to follow her lead. ...probably messing up the shoulders and neckline in the process, but again, wearing imperfectly sewn clothes will likely help keep my ego in check! :-)

I got my first sari on Friday! I was so thrilled. A complete stranger gave it to me. Of course, now I'm faced with making the petticoat and finding a shirt. I think saris are soooo beautiful and graceful... and again, more hygenic than jeans. (It's good for the skin to breathe, I think.)

Aum Namasivaya :-)

Vannakkam Amala: My wife wears them a lot. (and saris) She found one that really fit, took it apart, and now makes them. The Indian fabric stores always have great selections.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
18 March 2012, 03:26 PM
Vannakkam Eastern Mind, Your wife is brilliant. I hope to follow her lead. ...probably messing up the shoulders and neckline in the process, but again, wearing imperfectly sewn clothes will likely help keep my ego in check! :-)

I got my first sari on Friday! I was so thrilled. A complete stranger gave it to me. Of course, now I'm faced with making the petticoat and finding a shirt. I think saris are soooo beautiful and graceful... and again, more hygenic than jeans. (It's good for the skin to breathe, I think.)

Aum Namasivaya :-)

Vannakkam: I talked to my wife again. She said she used old cloth to practice on at first, but she also said if you wanted to talk more sewing, she'd be happy to discuss it more with you. She does her own sari tops now as well, from the same method. Indian tailors are incredibly good at it. My daughter had one done overnight in Madurai, but over here in the west its more difficult to find someone that's good at it. Often the fabric stores will recommend someone though.

I really like veshti, but for some reason really feel at odds with pyjamas. I wore veshti to a North Indian style temple the other day. Thank goodness for the real loose fitting denim jeans you can get these days.

Aum Namasivaya

Amala
18 March 2012, 03:38 PM
Vannakkam,

I had to look up veshti. I had never heard that word before. Veshti/Dhoti are very elegant, but I imagine they take some getting used to! ...as will a sari, I'm sure! :-)

I would gladly take your wife up on her offer! I'm sure she has some very helpful pointers. How do we arrange that? I could send you my email in a private message unless she just wants to use the HDF email. Wonderful!

:-)

Aum Namashivaya

Vannakkam: I talked to my wife again. She said she used old cloth to practice on at first, but she also said if you wanted to talk more sewing, she'd be happy to discuss it more with you. She does her own sari tops now as well, from the same method. Indian tailors are incredibly good at it. My daughter had one done overnight in Madurai, but over here in the west its more difficult to find someone that's good at it. Often the fabric stores will recommend someone though.

I really like veshti, but for some reason really feel at odds with pyjamas. I wore veshti to a North Indian style temple the other day. Thank goodness for the real loose fitting denim jeans you can get these days.

Aum Namasivaya

Maya3
18 March 2012, 09:22 PM
If I feel like it.

But usually only at special occasions at the temple or at the Ashram, I'm equally comfortable causal there though, it depends on my mood.

Maya

Amala
19 March 2012, 10:02 AM
Namaste

That seems to be the common sentiment amongst the Indian women I talk to, but I've also met Indian/Desi women who prefer salwar kameez but don't want Americans/westerners staring, so they avoid it for that reason.

I don't view salwar kameez as not casual, though. I have one made of light denim, and others that are very plain and simple .... only a couple that are dressy. When I go to a temple, I want to dress very simply... no adornment - jewelry, embellishments on my clothing, make-up, etc. My fancy ones (I have 2) are only for going to events with dress codes - like gallery openings and operas - that my mom takes us to.

If I feel like it.

But usually only at special occasions at the temple or at the Ashram, I'm equally comfortable causal there though, it depends on my mood.

Maya

heather.s
29 March 2012, 02:26 PM
since i work in an office environment, i wouldn't be able to wear a sari everyday, but i have worn them before to practice my dance classes or just to go shopping for the day.

even if it's just a sari top or skirt and not the whole thing, it's so much nicer than jeans!