PDA

View Full Version : Who's wedding is this?

Divine Kala
23 March 2012, 01:47 AM
This painting was on the ceiling of a temple in Singapore. I wasn't actually there, my mother went and is sending me all these gorgeous photos as a result. I think she only went into the temple because she knows I'm Hindu!

The temple appears to be a Shakta temple so I'd love to know whose wedding the painting depicts.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n228/Kyoki_Kala/Wedding.jpg

At first I thought it was the wedding of Shiva and Parvati but they're seated to our right so I have no clue. Can anyone help? Also, if anyone can read Tamil (I assume that's what's the writing beneath it) could you possibly translate?

wundermonk
23 March 2012, 02:11 AM
Murugan-Devayani.

:)

JaiMaaDurga
23 March 2012, 04:40 AM
Namaste Divine Kala,

Thank you (and your mother) for sharing, a lovely panel- such fresh and vibrant-looking color!

JAI MATA DI

shian
26 March 2012, 10:05 PM
Beautiful

ShivaFan
17 April 2012, 12:50 AM
This is 100 percent the Tirupparankundram depicting the Wedding of Lord Muruga being married to Devasena Teyvayanai the Daughter of the Deva Indra.

Muruga can be sought via Bhakti Yoga. I think I may post an article on Murugam and Bhakti.

Eastern Mind
17 April 2012, 12:39 PM
Tirupparankundram

Vannakkam: Nice place. have you been? I really want to ascend the whole hill from the east end path. I'm sure the view would be something else, and the smaller temple up there. I was told the priests walk up every day.

Aum Namasivaya

ShivaFan
18 April 2012, 11:06 PM
Hello Eastern Mind, it is an honor to hear from you. I wish it were so, but no I have not been there - though I have visited some of the holy places over North India, Orissa, Bengal, UP, Nepal, and other places. I wish to see the holy places of Muruga and Valli, that would be wonderful! You know, Bhakti is a special power and spiritual electricity of certain personalities of God such as Kartikeya and Krishna! Since Lord Shiva is very special to me and brings the Spirit of Meditation for us, certainly the association of Muruga His Son is very special for us and for the Yoga called Bhakti. And there is a very, very special dart of almost magic, a vel of power and mystic spear to this Personality! have you been to the holy places of Muruga?

Eastern Mind
19 April 2012, 07:49 AM
Vannakkam Brian: Yes, just last year, my wife and I were blessed to do the arapaiduveedu pilgrimage in the traditional way (well, not quite,... very traditional would be on foot :)) and order. I will never feel the same. In terms of the shakti personally, I'd rank Tiruparunkandram third or fourth. If you can only choose one, choose Palani. It is just unreal.

Aum Namasivaya

ShivaFan
20 April 2012, 12:25 AM
I am amazed! There are only a few savant souls, and you are one of them. Aim nano Shivaya! That dust on your feet has magic holy stories to tell, it lives on and plays like the grooves on a record play. All we need to do it know how to put the needle onto it, and the message will play. You are very blessed!

Eastern Mind
20 April 2012, 08:06 AM
Vannakkam:

There are many more arduous pilgrimages, like Amarnath, or Kedarnath. Anything with walking as well. From Madurai, and further, many souls walk to Palani, over the span of a week or more. From here in the west it would be nigh impossible, because of us not being used to the conditions. The heat, the water, and more would get us down. About the only real arduous thing from here in North America is the jet lag, and that only if you can't sleep on planes.

To do the arapaidaveedu by walking would take a minimum of 2 months. I've never met anyone whose done that. Some people hire a car and finish the route in 3 or 4 days. We took 12 days because I wanted to sit, and see each temple for awhile. We managed to witness the evening chariot festival at the first 3. Archanas at all 6 though. After that, they don't do it every night, unless there is a sponsor.

Still, each of those 6 temples is special on its own. A seventh, named Kundrakudi, I also found quite special. I do plan to go back in maybe 4 years, all things considered. I would like to see all 5 elemental Siva temples on one trip, and actually take a break to a hill station just to relax. :) Haven't done that yet either.

Aum Namasivaya

ShivaFan
20 April 2012, 11:28 PM
You must be very fit physically for the age of your body! It must be your spirit and love for Shiva that makes you very strong in mind and body to be able to perform such austeriies and there is no doubt so much good karma and yoga power you have gained. I would like to see Palani!

Eastern Mind
21 April 2012, 08:55 AM
Vannakkam BB: There is no such thing as age. Are we supposed to stop doing things at 50? 60? 80? This is another beauty of Hinduism. Elders don't usually stop until they really have to. I knew an elder who, when 89, travelled from here in Edmonton, Canada to Varanasi to dispose of his wife's ashes - by himself. :)

But enough with the accolades if you don't mind.

Aum Namasivaya

Caltha
21 April 2012, 11:58 AM
This painting was on the ceiling of a temple in Singapore. I wasn't actually there, my mother went and is sending me all these gorgeous photos as a result. I think she only went into the temple because she knows I'm Hindu!

The temple appears to be a Shakta temple so I'd love to know whose wedding the painting depicts.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n228/Kyoki_Kala/Wedding.jpg

At first I thought it was the wedding of Shiva and Parvati but they're seated to our right so I have no clue. Can anyone help? Also, if anyone can read Tamil (I assume that's what's the writing beneath it) could you possibly translate?

Namaste,

I recognize only a few of this very august party! If someone would be so kind, would you please tell us who is here? And if there is a story about how this wedding came about would you please tell us?

This painting is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing it with us!

ShivaFan
22 April 2012, 02:49 AM
Let me first state I am not qualified to give the absolute answer, and those adepts on the forum I welcome to correct any misguided response I give. However upon looking carefully at this art work, this would be my opinion:

Murugan was married to Devasena the daughter of Indra at the Tirupparankundram hill. This depicts the wedding. To the left we see Devasena’s hand being given to Muruga standing on the right. It is Indra standing behind and between the two, giving His daughter in marriage. Typically just to the left of Devasena would be the wife of Indra called Indrani extending Devasena towards Muruga, and just to Her immediate left would be four-handed Lakshmi bearing lotus flowers. However, in this art work, we see Lakshmi Herself is extending the bride for there are four arms and she holds a lotus in two hands. This would not be out of tradition in that both Devasena and Valli (Whom I will note below, both also have original names with Valli in Their name and both were given the promise to marry Muruga and are indirect sisters as well as in fact indirectly daughters of Lord Vishnu the husband of Lakshmi but were reborn as the daughter of Indra and Valli the daughter of Vedda hunters). To Lakshmi’s left we see Sarasswati holding the veena instrument. At the feet of Muruga we see Brahma performing the marriage rite before the fire, and we see Shiva’s son Ganesha sitting. Immediately to the right of Muruga we see Vishnu the husband of Lakshmi, He is standing. Traditionally Vishnu would be painted with four arms of which two hold the discus and conch, but here we see Vishnu with two arms, and just to His right in the foreground sitting on a couch is Lord Shiva the father of Muruga. Now it is understood that Muruga first married Devasena and later Valli. Valli is typically shown as documented, observed, and in visions of Saints to be Green. However, I am not sure if Valli sits next to Shiva in this art depiction, or if that would be Parvati the wife of Shiva, because Parvati was absolutely present at the Wedding of Devasena and so I cannot imagine Her not being depicted in the art. After the wedding Murugan went to Kandhagiri with Devasena and then near to Kanchipuram where there was a hill called Lavalii, where He met Valli whom he married as well. Since this was later, I suspect sitting next to Shiva is Green Parvati and not Valli but experts can confirm. Behind Indra just slightly to his right we see Kalki with horse head and we see Nandi the Bull. Next to Nandi we see the Saint Narada. Devasena wedding is the union of jiva soul and paramatma supreme soul. Valli is pure love, because love cannot exist without two. Valli is very much loved by all devotees as well as by Muruga. Devasena is alwayswith Him in soul union. Jai Shiva, Vishnu, Indra, Muruga, Lakshmi, Parvati, Devasena and beloved Valli!

Caltha
22 April 2012, 12:46 PM
Namaste,

Thank you, Brian! That is a very helpful explanation.

Do you know Who is standing next to Lord Vishnu, just behind Lord Shiva, and what he is holding in his hand?

Arjuni
22 April 2012, 01:41 PM
Namasté,

Caltha, the one standing in the position you describe is Nārada Muni, written in Brian's post as "Next to Nandi we see the Saint Narada." He is Viṣṇu's great bhakta, always moving through the universe, singing the name of Nārāyaṇa.

What he is holding is a percussion instrument; the name I know for it is khartal. (If you do a Google Images search for this word, you will see many examples.) The ringing/jingling sound of struck khartals serves to drive away idle thoughts and focus the mind singly on the glory of God. He is always depicted with a set of khartals in hand.

(And you have asked that question at a good time; Nārada Jāyantī falls on May 6 this year. :) )

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

wundermonk
22 April 2012, 01:46 PM
Well that is a great post by Brian. I learned something!

I couldnt give reps as I had to spread reps around b4 giving it to Brian again!