PDA

View Full Version : Bhagavad Gita now in Polish language

wundermonk
25 March 2012, 03:01 AM
Story here (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Bhagavad-Gita-now-in-Polish-language/articleshow/12401194.cms).

WARSAW: Even as Hindus fight a proposed ban on the Russian translation of the Bhagavad Gita, in Catholic-dominated Poland the sacred scipture has for the first time been translated into the Polish language from its original Sanskrit text.

The translation has been done by a Polish lady, who has done her PhD in Sanskrit. Though there is a translation of the Gita in Polish, it was translated from English in the beginning of the 20th century.

The present translation has been done by Anna Racinska, who has spent almost a decade in Varanasi to master the nuances of Sanskrit. A late bloomer, Racinska is in her 60s and completed her doctorate from the Oriental Institute of Warsaw University two years ago.

Racinska, a mother of four grown-up children, took interest in Sanskrit on the prompting of her husband. Today in their home, all the children and parents speak Sanskrit fluently, and they converse normally in Sanskrit. It may seem odd to outsiders, but it is normal routine in their home.

These days the youngest sibling has adopted an Indian name, Yoganand, and he lives in Varanasi. He and his mother were learning Sanskrit together for many years. Another son, Phillip, is doing his doctorate in Sanskrit and has visited India more than 12 times. These children collect their own money to go to India and they give private lessons in Hindi and Sanskrit in Warsaw. Such is their commitment and passion for Sanskrit.

"Her dedication and her labour of love have done wonders. It is a great achievement for Anna Racinska that she remained unknown for many years, and then all of a sudden she has obliged us in Poland with a great translation of a great book," said Janusz Krzyzowski, a leading Indologist and president of the Indo-Polish Cultural Committee.

"We really feel proud of Racinska's monumental work. No doubt her selflessness is visible in the way she has fulfilled her long-cherished wish at this stage of her life. But she deserves our praise and we feel proud of her achievement. We sincerely hope she will produce some more outstanding research books for the coming generations," said Monika Kapila Mohta, Indian ambassador to Poland. The Bhagavad Gita, often called the "perennial philosophy", is already available in over 50 languages.

:)

Mana
25 March 2012, 03:13 AM
Namaste wundermonk,

:)

Very inspiring, thank you for posting.

praNAma

mana

Maya3
25 March 2012, 08:47 AM
Thats great!

Especially the Sanskrit! Both my teachers are fluent in it too :)

Maya

devotee
25 March 2012, 11:44 PM
Namaste all,

The best translation must be bare and uncontaminated translation of the scripture. It should exactly as close to meaning as Lord Krishna said. Often, the translation is contaminated by one's own biases and understanding and that distorts the meaning of the Bhagwad Gita.

The Russian translation which was sought to be banned in Russia had a lot of extraneous matter included in the "translation" which is nowhere in the original version of the Bhagwad Gita. If such matter is required to be included, the writer must state that it is his own interpretation to save the original matter from getting contaminated.

I hope the Polish version is free from such flaws.

OM

Maya3
26 March 2012, 07:18 AM
I have never read the ISKCON version, is it very different from other translations and other commentaries?

Maya

Eastern Mind
26 March 2012, 07:43 AM
Vannakkam: This is a bit off topic, but I personally really see the parallels of ISKCON's spread in Eastern Europe today to its spread in America in the late 60s, early 70s. The society is ripe for a religious change. In one case the major cause was the Vietnam War. In the other it is the fall of communism.

I`m happy for the many youth who are now able to explore to their hear`s content. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism_in_Russia

Aum Namasivaya

wundermonk
26 March 2012, 07:59 AM
I have never read the ISKCON version, is it very different from other translations and other commentaries?
Maya

I have both Paramahamsa Yogananda's version as well as Prabhupada's version.

Yes, the latter does take pot shots at Advaita and stresses the role of a personalized "Supreme Personality of Godhead - Krishna".

My point is - SO WHAT?

No one has any authority to claim Hinduism to be their own. The very reason that non-Indians are turning to Hinduism is because of this inherent flexibility. People of all walks of life are able to find some words of nectar and solace in Krishna's words - right from Oppenheimer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8H7Jibx-c0) to the erstwhile Prime Minister of Turkey who said in the Indian Parliament a few years ago that at times of distress he reaches out for Krishna's words to Mahatma Gandhi to many folks here on HDF.

Bhagavad Gita/Krishna are for everyone.

Each of us is in a different reincarnation cycle and different things will appeal to us. :)

Maya3
26 March 2012, 08:39 AM
Whatever works for someone is great.

To me it seems similar to Christianity sometimes, it seems to be like there is a lot of rigidness there. But I may be wrong?

Maya

Eastern Mind
26 March 2012, 10:17 AM
Whatever works for someone is great.

To me it seems similar to Christianity sometimes.
Maya

Vannakkam: I've always felt this, so you're not alone. I think it's easier to make a transition that is less of a jump. But the factor that really makes me feel this way is the carryover of proseltysing. Yet any movement away from the dogma that is Christian seems like a good thing from here.

Aum Namasivaya

Maya3
26 March 2012, 12:09 PM
Vannakkam: I've always felt this, so you're not alone. I think it's easier to make a transition that is less of a jump. But the factor that really makes me feel this way is the carryover of proseltysing. Yet any movement away from the dogma that is Christian seems like a good thing from here.

Aum Namasivaya

I know the proselytizing is definitely something I have an issue with as well.

My gut feeling is that when their guru wanted to find followers he found people who still felt attached to Christian beliefs but wanted more of a flowery Indian style religion (it was the 60s after all :) )
So they swapped Christ for Krishna.

But that said, I also think that ISKCON may have become a little more progressive and open. And I'm trying to look at them in a little bit more of a positive light. There is a great kirtanist who is Hare Krishna who chants at our temple from time to time. There are also other bhaktis who I believe are part of ISKCON.
Or is there a new Bhakti movement that is separate from ISKCON?

Maya