PDA

View Full Version : Vasant Navratri Vrat

cmorel02
26 March 2012, 04:57 PM
Namasté

I'm not too sure if this was the appropriate place for this subject, but here it goes...

For Vasant/Chaitra Navratri, I've been fasting (Vrat in Sanskrit I believe), and I was wondering what the legit rules for eating was. I've come across some articles saying we can eat pure fruits and juices for fasting, and some where you don't eat at all. I've been fasting so far through the holiday, and I was wondering if I can eat lol. Because it's a lot for me (and it's my first actual fasting). Would it be okay if I ate a couple bananas, some grapes, when the hunger pains are going through me?

Dhanyavadah!!

Ramakrishna
27 March 2012, 01:06 AM
Namaste cmorel02,

There are really no hard and fast or "legit" rules for fasting in Sanatana Dharma. The key is just to be reasonable and not put your health in danger. Many people start "small" and then work their way up. There are many different options such as eating fruits, a small meal, a water/juice fast, nothing at all, etc. I don't think that many people would/should go an extended time without eating anything for their first fast, so eating some fruit would be advisable.

Jai Sri Ram

Jainarayan
27 March 2012, 08:38 AM
For Ekadasi, the only requirement is to refrain from grains and legumes. I check labels to make sure something does not contain vegetable oil, which is soybean oil. To that end I take only fruit, water, dairy and vegs; corn is out because it is a grain. For Janmashtami and Maha Shivaratri I followed the Ekadasi fast.

I for one cannot do a full fast; I have a 50 minute commute each way and cannot afford to have my blood sugar drop on the highway! I also cannot afford to be in a brainfog at work.

So you see, God does not want a devotee to suffer for the sake of a fast. God does not need the fast, we need it for spiritual cleansing and control.

PARAM
28 March 2012, 12:13 AM
Namasté

I'm not too sure if this was the appropriate place for this subject, but here it goes...

For Vasant/Chaitra Navratri, I've been fasting (Vrat in Sanskrit I believe), and I was wondering what the legit rules for eating was. I've come across some articles saying we can eat pure fruits and juices for fasting, and some where you don't eat at all. I've been fasting so far through the holiday, and I was wondering if I can eat lol. Because it's a lot for me (and it's my first actual fasting). Would it be okay if I ate a couple bananas, some grapes, when the hunger pains are going through me?

Dhanyavadah!!

All fasts supports special satvik food to be accepted in the legit rules of eating. Navratri have its special tradition with food, you can get Navratri recipes here.

http://www.indianfoodforever.com/holiday-recipes/navratri/

http://www.indobase.com/recipes/category/navratri.php

Fast are never meant to remain only hungry, they are proper management of what to eat and when, there is nothing to suffer.

Fasting in Sanatana Dharma is going on from time before time.

shian
31 March 2012, 01:46 AM
which fruit is recommended when fasting ?

Maya3
09 April 2012, 07:48 AM
I cant fast either.

It´s up to each person how they do this, like EM said it´s for you not for God.

Maya