PDA

View Full Version : Meeting Other Hindus

Amala
02 April 2012, 06:47 AM
Namaste,

Now that Shiva is a constant companion and I can comfortably say "I am a Hindu" I would love to hook up with others who feel the same - virtually as well as in real life.

Does anyone know of places for social interaction, spiritual exploration etc. where one might hope to make friends, both online and elsewhere? The temples are an option, but I'm not much of temple-goer...

I know it's difficult since the word "Hindu" is so vague, each of us having his/her own notions of what that is. But at least it's a start.

c.smith
02 April 2012, 09:21 AM
Hari Om!

A good place to start is right here in the forums for virtual interactions that may satisfy your need.

http://hindudharmaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Jai Hanuman!

c.smith
02 April 2012, 09:25 AM
Hari Om!

Other suggestions;

Start shopping at Desi establishments - grocers, restaurants, etc - and ask there for suggestions if this alone does not meet your needs. You may also wish to consult the local Desi papers for activities such as sporting events, socials, religious festivals held outside temple grounds, etc.

All the best to you in your ventures.

Jai Hanuman!

heather.s
02 April 2012, 11:36 AM
I went to my local feast night at a temple and met a couple girls there who recommended some other gatherings to me.

Amala
05 April 2012, 07:50 PM
hmmm... I already shop at those places, but there aren't many around here. I never thought about asking them about it, though. I will next time. I've never seen any Desi papers in English around here. As far as I know, there's one and it's in Gujarati. Thanks for the suggestions!

namaste

Hari Om!

Other suggestions;

Start shopping at Desi establishments - grocers, restaurants, etc - and ask there for suggestions if this alone does not meet your needs. You may also wish to consult the local Desi papers for activities such as sporting events, socials, religious festivals held outside temple grounds, etc.

All the best to you in your ventures.

Jai Hanuman!

Visvamitra
09 April 2012, 12:00 PM
There's this meetup site. There are like various groups there of people who want to meet up and continue to meet up over long periods, whether muslim, wiccan, philosophy, whatever.

Amala
09 April 2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I am on that site, but haven't found any groups in my area. But for others who are looking too, here's the link: http://www.meetup.com/.

namaste

There's this meetup site. There are like various groups there of people who want to meet up and continue to meet up over long periods, whether muslim, wiccan, philosophy, whatever.

rainbowlotus
10 April 2012, 06:39 PM
The way I have met other Hindu peers is by:
1. Studying Bharatanatyam
2. Studying Sanskrit
3. Going to Indian or Hindu cultural events at my local university.
Another way to meet other Hindus and open up the dialogue per se is by wearing a bindi :).

Amala
13 April 2012, 07:34 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think that as my mind is set toward expanding my community, so it will unfold, īshvarasya kṛpayā. :-) Namaste