PDA

View Full Version : Mantra before reading the Mahabharata?

Equinox
04 April 2012, 07:28 PM
Hi

Are there any mantras that one should say before opening the Mahabharata to read ?

I know that before opening the Bhagavad Gita we should say 'Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya'.... so is there a similar mantra for the Mahabharata?... and must we say it everytime we open to read?

realdemigod
14 May 2012, 05:49 AM
Namaste Equinox,
I don't think there is any such mantra for reading Mahabharat. You can still use 'Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya' as it's Lord Visnu's duty to protect dharma and Mahabharat is all and only about dharma.

Equinox
14 May 2012, 08:52 PM
:) Thank you Realdemigod!

Yea I kind of realised that. I just feel that chanting a mantra before reading makes the experience more meaningful and enjoyable, though it's not exactly necessary.

yajvan
15 May 2012, 11:13 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Please consider this HDF post http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44435&postcount=27 to add to the depth and breath of the original question posed.

praṇām

Equinox
15 May 2012, 09:27 PM
Namaste Yajvan :)

That post was very helpful. Thank you.

harih
05 June 2012, 02:05 AM
There is a variation "Devim Saraswateem VYASAM tato Jayam Udeerayet".

Coincidentally, I just visited a Vishnu temple in Kottayam in Kerala, where there is a separate Prathishta for Rishi Vedavyasa.

Equinox
30 June 2012, 01:46 AM
There is a variation "Devim Saraswateem VYASAM tato Jayam Udeerayet".

I've not come across this variation before. Is it meant for Devi Saraswati or Veda Vyasa? What does it mean?

Brishti
06 September 2012, 09:12 AM
Namaskar,

I have also been told that before reading the Gita or the Mahabharat, a mantra to Ma Saraswati is to be said. Unfortunately, I cannot find the mantra online.

So I recite Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare before reading it.

Dharmi
07 September 2012, 03:44 AM
Namaste

A humble question, i am still learning: Would the Gayatri-mantra/prayer be appropriate in these circumstances, as it is enhancing knowledge and illumine the intellect itself?

Santhi

Viraja
07 September 2012, 05:55 AM
I haven't even read the Mahabharata once because I've been told many times that it should *not* be read at home - 'cause it will result in great fights within the household like the Mahabharatha war if read! Mahabharata, I've been told is supposed to be read only at *temples*.

Has anyone come across similar sentiment? Has anyone read it at home?

Brishti
07 September 2012, 07:37 AM
I haven't even read the Mahabharata once because I've been told many times that it should *not* be read at home - 'cause it will result in great fights within the household like the Mahabharatha war if read! Mahabharata, I've been told is supposed to be read only at *temples*.

Has anyone come across similar sentiment? Has anyone read it at home?

Oh I have never heard this before. I have only read it at home, online version to be exact. Surely this rule doesn't apply for the Bhagavad Gita?

Viraja
07 September 2012, 11:11 AM
Oh I have never heard this before. I have only read it at home, online version to be exact. Surely this rule doesn't apply for the Bhagavad Gita?

No, this doesn't apply to Bhagawad Gita, never heard anyone say a similar thing for reading the Gita. I've read Gita at home and did not have any negative consequence out of it - only positive psychological/spiritual effects!

dhyandev
08 September 2012, 12:46 AM
I think it can be read at home.after all it is 5th veda.only pictures of mahabharat war(or any war for that matter )should not be put up in the house.