PDA

View Full Version : What are the scriptures that show hell is temporary in Hinduism?

AstralProjectee
06 April 2012, 01:09 AM
What are the scriptures that show hell is temporary in Hinduism?

wundermonk
06 April 2012, 03:22 AM

Perhaps we need to clarify what is meant by hell in Hinduism. What are your thoughts?

Would you want hell to be permanent?

devotee
06 April 2012, 04:22 AM
Namaste AP,

I have one issue with curious seekers from other Dharma like you. Why don't you reveal your true religion in your profile ? I gather that you are a Christian. Am I right ? However, you have stated, "Sanatan Dharma". This helps in understanding your mindset and then replying you in right perspective.

There are many scriptures talk of Narakas (not exactly hell but a place of punishment proportionate to your sins). You may read Mahabharata, PurANas (Garuda PurANa is important) etc. Bhagwad Gita too indicates the lower realms. In a similar way, heaven (swarga) too is temporary ... the stay in Swarga is decided matching your amount of merits earned and also as per your desires.

Not only this, these swarga and narakas are limited by time themselves. They are created and destroyed as anything else in this manifest/unmanifest universe.

OM