PDA

View Full Version : shiva purana

shian
06 April 2012, 09:55 AM
Vanakkam,

What is your understanding about this verse on Shiva and Linga Purana :
Is mean all Buddhist is asura and or demond ?

:)

“I understand your problem and you have my sympathies,” said Vishnu. “But unfortunately, I can do nothing. The only person who can destroy Tripura is Shiva. But there is a problem. The demons are devoted to Shiva; they are not evil. Under the circumstances, Shiva will not take up arms against them. We will have to resort to some trickery. Why don’t all of you go and start praying to Shiva? I will think of a way whereby the demons can be dislodged from the righeous path.”

The gods went away to meditate. And Vishnu used his powers of illusion (maya) to lead the demons astray. He sent Shakyamuni (the Buddha) to preach tot he demons. Shakyamuni was so glib of tongue that he made ready converts among the demons. They all became his disciples and gave up worshipping Shiva.

This was the moment that the gods had been waiting for. They prayed to Shiva that the evil demons might be destroyed and Shiva agreed.

Vishvakarma, the architect of the gods, built a chariot for Shiva to ride in. Brahma himself offered to be the charioteer. Shiva ascended the chariot and rode into battle. Nadi joined him with the ganas and the gods accompanied the army to aid in the fight. Numerous were the weapons that the gods took with them. They rode on elephants, horses, lions and buffaloes. Shiva graced this army of gods the way the mooon graces a collection of stars.

The army advanced and came to where Tripura was. Shiva raised his bow and applied the divine pashupata weapon to his bow, waiting for the three cities to come together. As soon as this happened, Shiva let fly the arrow and the flaming arrow burnt up the three cities of the demons.

Mana
07 April 2012, 09:39 AM
Namaste shian,

This would not be my understanding of this verse,

To my mind it is saying that followers of shiva became demonic (when shiva left to meditate), thus Vishnu manifest Buddha to recuperate them.
Not the Buddhists, but a statement about the disarray of the Hindus at the time of Buddha. The very reason that he left India and his dharma behind him and renounced so severely.

praNAma

mana

Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

Divine Kala
07 April 2012, 11:34 AM
Surprisingly I find myself with a similar understanding of this verse to Mana's. My understanding, after reading the verse and thinking on it, is not that the asuras are evil - after all they are devout Shiva bhaktas. The asuras only fall when their attention is led away from God. It is only when they stop their ardent worship of Shiva is He able to do as the devas request because while they are worshipping Him they are as dear to Him as any other pure hearted devotee.

shian
07 April 2012, 03:37 PM
Vanakkam,

Thank you all,
I have confused, there Devas also said the asura make hindrance to the sage who want to doing puja and make some trouble . But Brahma and Lord Shiva said they are good , so we cant destroy them. But how come "make hindrance to the sages and do some trouble" is still called good persons and cant be destroyed ?

In Shiva Purana, to missleading the asuras, Vishnu sent 4 monk who have style described (different with Buddhist monk), but there is said they teach some Buddhism and there is explained their teachings, but in the explanation of their teachings, there is not look like Buddhist in any sect.

About varna, in Buddhist sutras always used term brahmana, ksatriya, vaisya, sudra , candala etc. Even have some sutra is talked about some mantra for some varna.

About not worshiping Shiva, if the text said about Buddhist, but some Buddhist is worshiped Shiva , Ganesha and many Hindu Deitys as the manifestation of Hisghest Consciousnes.

But off course not all Buddhist is have that worship.

Shiva Purana have very deep meanings who need to understanding with wisdom, the meaning is throught the Macro cosmos and micro cosmos . The meaning is manifest in our consciousnes.

For this verse, i also believe not all beings is suitable with some sect or one version of teachings, sometimes some people after they entering Buddhism they will become more arrogance and more strong to hold the small ego (i just put Buddhism as example, this is also happened in all religions) , sometimes in special case, God need to lead them in other way, because after they changed the way, they will become more better. And sometimes need to suffer or punished, because after that, they will instantly back to Dharma. Lord Shiva sport is beyond our ordinary imagination.